Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 08-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
Mrpaintballordie

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
HP Tuning?

Hey everyone so at my new job I was telling one of the mechanics how I was looking into a programmer, and he told me that they're useless to just get a regular tune. He told me he could tune my 2010 SS with HP tuners for $300. So I need inputs is it worth the money? Gains why how much power to expect to see? And is that price fair? If everything seems good then I'm going to give him the money on Monday and he'll start. Thanks for y'all's time!
Old 08-16-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
Iam Broke
PHAT B33

Drives: 2012 TF3 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
HPTuner's is a great software tuning suite, but it's up to the tuner to know what to do. Talk to other peops he's tuned or find a reputable tuner.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:51 PM   #3
Mrpaintballordie

He's done over 20 cars he showed me his log book in the program of all the tunes he's done
Old 08-16-2013, 11:20 PM   #4
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
Honestly, I wouldn't worry about tuning your car if all you have done is the cold air, unless you have an A6 trans, then the tune will really wake the car up...if your tuner can tune the A6. Do you have other mods planned? Will your tuner update the tune for free when you do these mods? If he will, go ahead and tune since your going to have to spend the money eventually.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:13 PM   #5
Mrpaintballordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMickey View Post
Honestly, I wouldn't worry about tuning your car if all you have done is the cold air, unless you have an A6 trans, then the tune will really wake the car up...if your tuner can tune the A6. Do you have other mods planned? Will your tuner update the tune for free when you do these mods? If he will, go ahead and tune since your going to have to spend the money eventually.
Yes if by a6 you mean automatic yes my car is auto. And I also have exhaust. He will update it for me for free he told me he would. I plan to get upgraded fuel injectors,maybe throttle body, eventually a supercharger
Old 08-18-2013, 09:15 PM   #6
snappytravis

Drives: 2011 synergy green ss
I would not do the tune until you do the sc and the injectors, I don't think you mods will make enough difference, jmho,
snappytravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:56 AM   #7
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
Your not going to gain much power with a tune right now, but since you have an auto trans, you will gain a lot of responsiveness out of the car if the trans tune is right.