Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 04:56 PM   #1
camaronewbie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Are JBA SHORTIES WORTH IT???

Hey guys!!

2010 Camaro SS L99
Vararam Intake
X Pipe Flowmaster 40's
SuperChips 8040 91 Octane tune
😒(and that's all for now)

I am looking heavily into the JBA Shorties because we lives in shackles here in Cali. Anyone have these and how do you like them? I am looking I to the 1812S part number. I know people say the DT or ARH but not trying to break the bank. I want a deeper V8 sound and some MORE POWER. I know it's minimal because they are shorties, but want some feedback. Thanks!!

Gas Pedal Power!!
Hoss
Old 04-24-2014, 05:44 PM   #2
Jay'SS Ride

Drives: 2012 Infiniti G37S
You have to do a search in the V8 Enging, Exhaust, Bolt On section. It has be talked about extensively. You said you wanted lower rumble and more power. Well you're not going to get much more power, the common thought is that the stock manifold do a really good job when compared to shorties. Your true gains come from LTs. So it means you will be buying it for the slightly lower rumble. At that point it doesn't seem like a value purchase. Just my $0.02.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:07 PM   #3
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
I put them on my 2011 1LT/RS and made no difference what so ever. Now of course i didn't have a tune, but all that i have read here, when it's time for me to put headers on my 1LE it will be full length.
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2014, 06:25 PM   #4
whamslam3
Camaro King [^*^*^]

Drives: Apollo 11 Camaro IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
I put them on my 2011 1LT/RS and made no difference what so ever. Now of course i didn't have a tune, but all that i have read here, when it's time for me to put headers on my 1LE it will be full length.
it didnt even change the sound?
Old 04-24-2014, 07:59 PM   #5
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
I have jba shorties, hiflow cats and a tune. 32 hp gain, not much off long tubes dyno dependant of course, 40 to 44 hp at 5700 rpm and up.I dont know what they did by themselves but they add 5-8 I have read. Yes more sound and rumble. On my old v6 I noticed more mid range go, lower growl also.LTs will add probably 10 mor hp, but alot more bottom to mid range tq.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:12 PM   #6
JambaJuiced

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS 1LE AGM
I went with the ARH shorties...yes I would have prefered LTs but here in OC the cops can be brutal....at least this way my engine bay looks nicer, shaved a bit of weight vs stock manifolds...on top of which I have that CARB EO decal...

I would imagine that I gained some hp...car pulls significantly better but I did have a tune done...and the car does sound louder overall...

I say get what makes you happy and what you are comfortable with and don't worry about what everyone's says you 'should' get...
Old 04-24-2014, 08:23 PM   #7
whamslam3
Camaro King [^*^*^]

Drives: Apollo 11 Camaro IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
I have jba shorties, hiflow cats and a tune. 32 hp gain, not much off long tubes dyno dependant of course, 40 to 44 hp at 5700 rpm and up.I dont know what they did by themselves but they add 5-8 I have read. Yes more sound and rumble. On my old v6 I noticed more mid range go, lower growl also.LTs will add probably 10 mor hp, but alot more bottom to mid range tq.
can u get hiflow cats in cali?
Old 04-24-2014, 09:56 PM   #8
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by whamslam3 View Post
can u get hiflow cats in cali?
Yes. But not legal. At smog time take them off and put on the stock units.Of course always a risk if pulled over. I just had that happen but all looked normal to the leo , especially with the e.o. tag under the hood for the headers.Also My tune makes it so the codes dont get thrown.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:38 AM   #9
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
I used to have JBA shorties and hi-flow cats. The cats are the ones that give you the power, not the shorties. However, with that combination, it will give you a bit louder sound.

Just recently, I put TSP LT headers on my 2010 and could not be happier with my decision! I'm also in the city of Orange and haven't been hassled by the cops...yet.

Honestly, I would recommend against just shorties. If anything, get shorties and hi-flow cats. But at that point, you may as well just get long tubes.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:12 PM   #10
ddunerider
So-Cal Race team!!

Drives: Tahoe LTZ,2010 2SS/M6 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to ddunerider
I have the JBAs with High Flow Cats and a Dyno tune ...417HP to the rear wheels a Nice real muscle car tone...And I keep up racing with the long tube guys ..I will only have to chang back my cats for smog a 1.5 worth of work ..and still get 26MPG on the highway
Old 04-25-2014, 12:49 PM   #11
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by whamslam3 View Post
it didnt even change the sound?
Yes,it did change a little.I also had the resonators taken off, and had Borla axle back.It did sound good though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddunerider View Post
I have the JBAs with High Flow Cats and a Dyno tune ...417HP to the rear wheels a Nice real muscle car tone...And I keep up racing with the long tube guys ..I will only have to chang back my cats for smog a 1.5 worth of work ..and still get 26MPG on the highway
Het Don how are you going to get passed smog with your headers?
Old 05-02-2014, 08:34 PM   #12
familycaronROIDS!
CMS built

Drives: 13 5.0
Don't waste your money on shorties...

wrenched & tuned by Cunningham Motorsports
Old 05-03-2014, 11:45 PM   #13
jag107

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM M6
I have the JBA shorties and HFC's, full resonator and muffler delete. Almost too loud...but not really. I don't know about numbers, and since I did the cats and shorties at the same time I couldn't say if the shorties did much, but the combination was a big difference. Go for it. The CARB sticker under the hood is real nice to have just in case...
Old 05-05-2014, 06:17 PM   #14
decepticon-vert

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT Convertible
Send a message via Yahoo to decepticon-vert
I did the JBA shorties and the Bola axle back kit. I it gained some HP car takes off nicely, but I did tune it also. If you go shorties your CARB covered, otherwise you gotta take them off for smog time.