Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 12-08-2008, 03:06 PM   #43
lalometalik
killer bAnana

Drives: 1985 z28
no room for junk in the trunk
sorry ladies

"Shut your noise tube, Taco Human!"
lalometalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:36 PM   #44
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalometalik View Post
no room for junk in the trunk
sorry ladies
wouldn't that be a seating issue?
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:07 PM   #45
Bart

Drives: 1997 Trans Am
Getting back on topic a bit, I do have to say this trunk opening is a bit on the sad side of things. Yes, I love the style and how the rear fenders look, but lets not forget what killed the 4th gen - livability. People have to be able to "use" this car. People going to the store, getting groceries, a trip to the hardware store, etc. I do fear that some of those "new" people they are trying to attract are going to see this opening for the first time at the dealership and reconsider. I hope that's not the case, I really do.

Enthusiasts won't care. But enthusiasts alone won't keep this car alive.
2009 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:28 AM   #46
swifttal

Drives: '91 Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
Getting back on topic a bit, I do have to say this trunk opening is a bit on the sad side of things. Yes, I love the style and how the rear fenders look, but lets not forget what killed the 4th gen - livability. People have to be able to "use" this car. People going to the store, getting groceries, a trip to the hardware store, etc. I do fear that some of those "new" people they are trying to attract are going to see this opening for the first time at the dealership and reconsider. I hope that's not the case, I really do.

Whatever, they can buy a Malibu then... as long as it's GM baby!!!
swifttal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 05:40 AM   #47
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by fldrummer View Post
That depends on how your gear is packed and how much of it you have. I managed to persuade the workers at the Miami auto show to open and measure the trunk opening for me (this was the red RS they had there). The results were: 34" wide (In the widest part--the back)/15.5" deep. It will be a tight squeeze for my hardware bag, but after measuring, I think I can get that bag (which is really a large golf bag) through that; getting it back out might be more challenging. If I have to, I'll take a few stands out or use 2 smaller bags to get it in there and I'll just have the bass drum ride shotgun like I do with my G35. It will suck no matter what, but I'm used to that already; LOL.
I happened to be at the Miami auto show at that moment. I remember seeing all of them huddled over the trunk measuring it. lol.. Small world.. A golf bag could fit in the hole, but would be very hard to get the angle to push it in without bending the bag..I don't see how you could or would want to try to get a golf bag in full of clubs thru the backs small opening if it is easier to bring them in thru the side passenger door with the seats down..
Old 12-09-2008, 06:53 AM   #48
Bart

Drives: 1997 Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by swifttal View Post
With respect, that's kind of my point! How many potential 4th gen buyers decided the car was too impractical after seeing it and taking it for a test drive and bought a sunfire, impala, grand prix, or <insert GM car here>. Yes, I want GM to survive and flourish, but I want this car to survive in that lineup as well.

Chevy already has a halo car in the vette. I'm not sure a limited sales production camaro can survive in this day and age based on the traffic it brings to a dealer. It has to sell in large numbers.

Or maybe I'm just nervous as the production date gets closer!!!!
2009 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Bart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:06 AM   #49
gladiatoro

Drives: 1981 Z28 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
Less than 10% (26 million) of the US population plays golf (at all) and about 2% (4.6 million) play at least 25 times per year. How many of those people are going to be in the typical buyer demographic for the Camaro?

Why in the hell should GM compromise on the Camaro design just so 2% of the public can easily get their clubs into the trunk without having to do anything but set the bag in the trunk?

Form first, function second. Period. If you want function first, go buy something boring (Like a Buick, since that was what Tiger Woods was pitching for GM). I want form first this time and will be buying a Camaro.
You are correct sir
gladiatoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:48 AM   #50
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
With respect, that's kind of my point! How many potential 4th gen buyers decided the car was too impractical after seeing it and taking it for a test drive and bought a sunfire, impala, grand prix, or <insert GM car here>. Yes, I want GM to survive and flourish, but I want this car to survive in that lineup as well.

Chevy already has a halo car in the vette. I'm not sure a limited sales production camaro can survive in this day and age based on the traffic it brings to a dealer. It has to sell in large numbers.

There aren't that many "cool" cars on the road today that scream out Muscle besides the Mustang and now newer Challenger.. Vette's and Viper's are very nice, however they are not affordable while the Camaro definitely is..
Old 12-09-2008, 08:19 AM   #51
swifttal

Quote:

If they have any emotional bones on their body, their right foot will justify all reasoning to them. How many husbands and boyfriends get forced into looking for a practical car, only to walk out of the showroom with something that puts a smile on their face instead? Those who want this car will justify it too themselves. I'm a golfer, and I don't see any problems this car will present with getting 2 people and their clubs and carts to the course in comfort. So what you might have to fold down the rear seats? In my opinion that was foresight of practicality on GM's part... I would've been just as happy laying the clubs in the back seat.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:44 AM   #52
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:

I can't say that the thought never entered my mind, I thought it was a pretty small opening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifttal View Post
GAH, this car needs to sell. The malibu is already selling a lot, but it can't help GM alone, it needs a really fast counterpart.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:10 AM   #53
Grape Ape

Drives: 96 Bronco w/ a 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by interrex View Post
So if you try to fold down the rear seat to put your clubs in the rear, are you not likely after time to scratch the paint on the door sill. Or even wear the rear seats or side posts out from the swinging of the bag in and out from the back. On the GTO it would take a half an hour to put clubs in the back. The electric seat was soooooo sloooooow to move forward out of the way. Then to move it back, very bad design again by the GM team.
The camaro has the gas tank under the floor (where it belongs) so you can fold the seat down and use the extra space to make it easier to stuff stuff in thru the trunk opening.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:08 PM   #54
blckWS6TA

Drives: 1996 Trans Am WS6
Personally, I will miss the hatch, but i will rarely use the back seats, so I will keep the sticks back there. Thats what I do in the TA anyways.
442 RWTQ
blckWS6TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:50 PM   #55
BeermanSS

Drives: 2005 Cobalt SS/SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiatoro View Post
You are correct sir
Yep and that thinking will have the 5th gen following in the footsteps of the 4th. Like somebody said above, enthusiasts alone will not make this car succeed.
BeermanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:40 PM   #56
swifttal

4th gen didn't succeed because it was ugly. If anyone thinks you can do a better job at designing the fifth gen, take it up with GM. There is plenty of storage room for this car

What are your REAL complaints. You can't go to home depot and bring home lumber? GM designed the fold down seat to accommodate for plenty of luggage/whatever room, are you guys really serious about this?... I don't get it

Last edited by swifttal; 12-10-2008 at 11:04 PM.