Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-30-2014, 06:50 PM   #1
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Shorties and Middies

I just ordered C.A.R.B. approved JBA ceramic coated titanium shorty headers with JBA mid pipes and high flow cats. Apparently no tune is needed and, given the increased flow using both together, they rival HP gains of long tube headers running through factory CATs (this per per jba support, who make both long and short headers, POST sale; I called them after having bought the shorties so they weren't selling me.). Go ahead, laugh and or challenge it. I'll dyno before and after and report back. Give it a few weeks. Do see Padre SS's reported results below.

See Padre SS's improvements with JBA middies and shorties here:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=85

And here:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...01&postcount=2

To keep the CEL lamp from illuminating I bought the Vibrant O2 extenders which restricts the flow to the O2 sensor.

Parts list:
1) 1 3/4" Titanium ceramic coated Stainless steel Cat4ward® Shorty - P/N 1812SJT
2) 2 1/2" Natural Stainless Steel Mid-Pipes with Cats - P/N 1812SYC
3) Vibrant STAINLESS O2 Extender Spacer H2O Wideband DRY CELL HHO

I'm looking for a shop in the Bay Area to instal. Anyone know of a good place or mechanic?

-CRT
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:26 PM   #2
Cool1LE

Drives: 2014 Blk 2SS/1LE
Subscribed
Cool1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:46 AM   #3
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalRedTintcoat View Post
I just ordered C.A.R.B. approved JBA ceramic coated titanium shorty headers with JBA mid pipes and high flow cats. Apparently no tune is needed and, given the increased flow using both together, they rival HP gains of long tube headers running through factory CATs (this per per jba support, who make both long and short headers, POST sale; I called them after having bought the shorties so they weren't selling me.). Go ahead, laugh and or challenge it. I'll dyno before and after and report back. Give it a few weeks. Do see Padre SS's reported results below.

See Padre SS's improvements with JBA middies and shorties here:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=85

And here:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...01&postcount=2

To keep the CEL lamp from illuminating I bought the Vibrant O2 extenders which restricts the flow to the O2 sensor.

Parts list:
1) 1 3/4" Titanium ceramic coated Stainless steel Cat4ward® Shorty - P/N 1812SJT
2) 2 1/2" Natural Stainless Steel Mid-Pipes with Cats - P/N 1812SYC
3) Vibrant STAINLESS O2 Extender Spacer H2O Wideband DRY CELL HHO

I'm looking for a shop in the Bay Area to instal. Anyone know of a good place or mechanic?

-CRT
I would advise caution with this setup only because of my issues with V6 Gen5 with the same (or similar setup) with JBA Shorties but stock Cats and mid pipes and I could never completely get the CEL to go away. If JBA can guaranty it will not come back without a tune go for it. I had mine welded at the collector bracket (at my expense), used O2 extenders, and I even went with a $700 custom tune from IPF who said it would take care of it for sure and the CEL came back on eventually (though not as much). The V8's computer might be easier to fool but I'm not so sure.

As for a good shop, since Blu808 has moved and Goodies closed, I was looking for the same to get my tow hook installed.

I've had some good experience recently with this shop in Campbell that specializes in muscle cars and performance (mostly older cars) but does lots of great work. (Their work is top notch in my opinion).
Called C.A.R. - Campbell Auto Restoration and Performance Center.
Ask to speak to Mark (I think he's the owner.)
http://www.campbellautorestoration.com/index.php

Let me know what they say Brian.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:26 AM   #4
CrystalRedTintcoat

Shorties and Middies

Mark, thanks for the heads up. I've learned that the JBA mid pipes don't fit well against the stock manifold. Also, that any leaks can trigger the CEL's. Cornerspeed has the mid pipes only and got a CEL initially, then he had his installer check the bolts and seals and tightened things back up; something was leaking and but cel hasn't returned since the fixes.

Last edited by CrystalRedTintcoat; 08-31-2014 at 02:27 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 08-31-2014, 04:04 PM   #5
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
I would take the car to Able Chevrolet in Rio Vista. They have lots of track cars travel through their service bays, and have a stellar reputation for thier quality of work. They are only open Mon through Fri. If you go there call Nick and schedule before going as they have a steady parade of Vettes from all over the state that come in for service. Chances are they will have some race cars in for service when you are there.
Rich W the service manager races a Z06.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/abel-chevrol...k-co-rio-vista
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:30 PM   #6
CrystalRedTintcoat

Shorties and Middies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal ZL1 View Post
I would take the car to Able Chevrolet in Rio Vista. They have lots of track cars travel through their service bays, and have a stellar reputation for thier quality of work. They are only open Mon through Fri. If you go there call Nick and schedule before going as they have a steady parade of Vettes from all over the state that come in for service. Chances are they will have some race cars in for service when you are there.
Rich W the service manager races a Z06.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/abel-chevrol...k-co-rio-vista
Thanks! When we met at Thunder Hill I heard, and since forgot, the Abel name three times. My assigned coach the first day (started A group) had a mean Z06 vette that was fully modified with a $50k engine alone with work done at Abel; you may have seen this orang vette in one of the covered bays.

Need to PM you on the "other" subject. "We" had a breakthrough two weeks ago. Wish it meant I could go to more track days this year but doesn't. Why? Not for the reasons you're thinking. I broke my clavicle biking in King's Canyon and haven't driven my car in 4 weeks (two vacations, broken bone and now two weeks later in a sling with at least for more weeks to go).

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409528158.853654.jpg
Views: 1634
Size:  326.7 KB

Last edited by CrystalRedTintcoat; 08-31-2014 at 06:36 PM. Reason: added photo
Old 08-31-2014, 05:01 PM   #7
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Just for imfo I Have Jba shorties, highflows and smog tune, no cell. 32 hp at 5600 rpm, 44 hp at 6000. Torque is 24 at peak.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:21 PM   #8
CrystalRedTintcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
Just for imfo I Have Jba shorties, highflows and smog tune, no cell. 32 hp at 5600 rpm, 44 hp at 6000. Torque is 24 at peak.
What is "smog tune"? What is "no cell"?
So, 32HP?

FWIW, that's $31.72 per HP:

$1015 (shorties plus catted middies) / 32 HP. I'm not including labor.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:57 PM   #9
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Thanks! When we met at Thunder Hill I heard, and since forgot, the Abel name three times. My assigned coach the first day (started A group) had a mean Z06 vette that was fully modified with a $50k engine alone with work done at Abel; you may have seen this orang vette in one of the covered bays.

Need to PM you on the "other" subject. "We" had a breakthrough two weeks ago. Wish it meant I could go to more track days this year but doesn't. Why? Not for the reasons you're thinking. I broke my clavicle biking in King's Canyon and haven't driven my car in 4 weeks (two vacations, broken bone and now two weeks later in a sling with at least for more weeks to go).

Attachment 658470
Yes I remember the Katech Corvete. The driver was riding along when I measured your tire temps. If you decide to go to Abel give me a heads up, as I have some Pfadt long tubes to get installed. Maybe we can meet up and have some lunch while our headers are being installed.

Had a set back myself as well. The Son and his friend totaled his BMW last night. Also took out at least one parked car. Have to see how that pans out. He didn't have the car longer than three months.......crazy. At least no one was injured.

I hope that you recover quickly and that everything else is going well for you. Drop me a line anytime and let me know how things are going.

Todd
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:02 PM   #10
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Mark, thanks for the heads up. I've learned that the JBA mid pipes don't fit well against the stock manifold. Also, that any leaks can trigger the CEL's. Cornerspeed has the mid pipes only and got a CEL initially, then he had his installer check the bolts and seals and tightened things back up; something was leaking and but cel hasn't returned since the fixes.
Hey Brian, just got back into town and thought i would chime in. This is going to be cool, looking forward to hearing about it when she is all done...............and of course when you can actually drive her, how's the healing coming?
Old 09-01-2014, 03:13 PM   #11
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
Quote:
What is "smog tune"? What is "no cell"?
So, 32HP?

FWIW, that's $31.72 per HP:

$1015 (shorties plus catted middies) / 32 HP. I'm not including labor.
Smog tuned is to pass California smog test. He meant no CEL. I have ARH shorties with Solo high flows without a tune. No CEL's.
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:15 PM   #12
KRich2587

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1LE
interesting to see what you come out at. When i did my LTs with no cats through the stock npp i made 422hp and 412tq
KRich2587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:48 PM   #13
CrystalRedTintcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
Hey Brian, just got back into town and thought i would chime in. This is going to be cool, looking forward to hearing about it when she is all done...............and of course when you can actually drive her, how's the healing coming?

Healing is slllllllllllloooooooowwwwwww. I'm on week three and still in pain and taking narcotics. Tried to do my office work on the computer today but was in too much pain to work. Sat in the car but felt something shift then yelled aloud in pain when I stood up. The healing is much slower at 45 than compared to these young kids. :-O

X-rays at week four scheduled to see if the healing is taking shape.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:40 PM   #14
CrystalRedTintcoat

Shorties and Middies

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRich2587 View Post
interesting to see what you come out at. When i did my LTs with no cats through the stock npp i made 422hp and 412tq

I had a Dynapak dyno a couple years ago with just the CAI at 410. Dynapak is the dyno where the rear wheels are removed and the "inner wheel" (sorry forget the technical name) is connected on an axle to a box with fluid that is connected to a computer.

http://www.ultimategarage.com/homega...dyno-2-400.jpg

Anyway, I look forward to a new dyno and re-dyno on the same tool before and after this.

Last edited by CrystalRedTintcoat; 09-01-2014 at 06:47 PM.