Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 08-24-2021, 02:01 PM   #29
TheArmedAccountant

Drives: Hyper BLue Zl1 1LE & Can Am X3
Lot's of good advice so far OP. If you like the ZLE for the looks alone and want a DD, just buy the ZL1 and add canards and an APR wing and splitter and you will be mostly there. If you plan to make it a track toy with the occasional weekend drive then the ZLE is you answer.

The suspension on the ZLE is brutal. You feel every dip, bump, and bounce. Under throttle the suspension only accentuates those things on the street. The offset for that is the DSSV gives you tons of confidence on road courses and allows you to push the car.

The big wing out back is not vision blocking but if you're looking for light bars on top of interceptor SUV's, you won't see them most of the time. The blade for the spoiler sits right in the middle of your view.
TheArmedAccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 02:30 PM   #30
Jslac4eva

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS, Tesla Model 3 Perf
I didn't expect to get so much feedback!

It does sound like getting a ZL1 is probably the way to go. Besides the wing on the ZLE, I also fell in love with the size of the rear tires (saw one at my tuners the other day and the ARE MASSIVE).

Looks like my main concerns were answered in all the responses (itemizing them in case anyone else has these questions):

- ZL1 doesn't seem to have the "floating" feeling many luxury cars have (which was one reason I was gravitating towards the ZLE).

- Having a ZL1 definitely allows me to drive it more often to work.

- The rear wing blocking visibility is definitely a concern even with the camera. Worst case scenario I'll pick up one of the prototype wings which sat lower (I'll snoop the forums for recommendations).

- The tire size..... well I rather not start tuning this upcoming ZL1 as that's what my 1SS was for, so will most likely keep her stock
Jslac4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 03:15 PM   #31
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Drives: 2018 ZL1 & 2022 Hayabusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Where does that end? 911 GT3 RS Cup? M4 GTS with gutted interior?

It seems like this would never end until you have nothing but a bare chassis and nascar body kit?

I think the ZL1 1LE package really confuses people. The SS 1LE gives you the ZL1 chassis without the engine. The ZL1 is a great track performer. Are you really going to take it to 10/10ths on a track? If so, get the ZL1 1LE. But for a car that can live as both a DD and a track car, the ZL1 winds hands down. How many people are going to take the ZL1 1LE to anywhere near it's capability? Again, if racing at the track (track, not strip) is the most important thing, then go for it, but it just seems bizarre to pick the ZL1 1LE over the ZL1 if you are not.

It always seems like people rationalize "living with" every possible hardcore track car. They always say "it's not bad on roads" and for "daily driver". This is like one of the most constant things on auto boards. Find any car and the enthusiasts will tell you it's a great DD and "not bad on roads". As if there's never been a bad car on roads...
It's like people that buy Tesla 3, 3P, Y... They ALWAYS seem to compare how well it handle to this sports car, how fast 0-60 is to that muscle car, how fast it is at the 'ring, list goes on.......but in the end, to me, they are doing like you stated above, rationalizing it to themselves for having (again to me) an ugly car they have to look at every time they go to get in it. It's the ones that don't try to rationalize it that bought and enjoy the car for what it is.
- RotoFab Dry, Forgestar CF5V (ZLE Spec), Eibach Pro, AeroForce Interceptor, GT4 Tow Hook
- Carbon Fiber (Satin): Radio, Shifter, Steering Wheel Controls, Shifter Top, AC Vents, Side Mirrors & Shark Fin
2022 Suzuki Hayabusa - Brilliant White Pearl & Shocker Yellow Wheels
- +4 Arm, 240 OEM Wheel, Brock's CT (Ti) Exhaust, 1.25" drop, etc...
infinitereality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 03:18 PM   #32
infinitereality
Limitless Imagination

Drives: 2018 ZL1 & 2022 Hayabusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jslac4eva View Post
I didn't expect to get so much feedback!

It does sound like getting a ZL1 is probably the way to go. Besides the wing on the ZLE, I also fell in love with the size of the rear tires (saw one at my tuners the other day and the ARE MASSIVE).

Looks like my main concerns were answered in all the responses (itemizing them in case anyone else has these questions):

- ZL1 doesn't seem to have the "floating" feeling many luxury cars have (which was one reason I was gravitating towards the ZLE).

- Having a ZL1 definitely allows me to drive it more often to work.

- The rear wing blocking visibility is definitely a concern even with the camera. Worst case scenario I'll pick up one of the prototype wings which sat lower (I'll snoop the forums for recommendations).

- The tire size..... well I rather not start tuning this upcoming ZL1 as that's what my 1SS was for, so will most likely keep her stock

Yes sir, get a ZL1, some aftermarket wider wheels/tire (or mount ZLE wheels) and some or all ZLE or aftermarket aero till you're content.
- RotoFab Dry, Forgestar CF5V (ZLE Spec), Eibach Pro, AeroForce Interceptor, GT4 Tow Hook
- Carbon Fiber (Satin): Radio, Shifter, Steering Wheel Controls, Shifter Top, AC Vents, Side Mirrors & Shark Fin
2022 Suzuki Hayabusa - Brilliant White Pearl & Shocker Yellow Wheels
- +4 Arm, 240 OEM Wheel, Brock's CT (Ti) Exhaust, 1.25" drop, etc...
infinitereality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 04:51 PM   #33
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitereality View Post
Yes sir, get a ZL1, some aftermarket wider wheels/tire (or mount ZLE wheels) and some or all ZLE or aftermarket aero till you're content.
It’s like all the baggin’ & none of the naggin’.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 08:54 PM   #34
Motor Fast

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
This doesn't make much sense. The ZL1 is all the way, the ZL1 1LE is a track package intended strictly for track usage.
That's why I said it's all preference. For me, I want the best well rounded Camaro which would be a ZL1 1LE or SS 1LE if naturally aspirated is desired. If your preference is drag racing then I'd say get the ZL1. Like you said, the 1LE package on the ZL1 really pushes it to an all out track car. That makes it pretty special and unique. How many cars are coming off the showroom that are nearly full on built for the track?
Old 08-24-2021, 09:01 PM   #35
Motor Fast

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Where does that end? 911 GT3 RS Cup? M4 GTS with gutted interior?
Those don't have V8's powering them. Different preferences, though, is a good thing so it's not all the same. I do like the 911 GT3 RS Cup car though.
Old 08-24-2021, 09:30 PM   #36
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG1 View Post
Ive had both. The ZLE ride is laughably stiff. The ZL1 A10 is a better all around car than my current ZLE, but I track often and the ZLE is better enough on the track that it outweighs the poor street manners.

Put it this way: take a non-car person for a ride in the ZLE and hit a few expansion joints…your passenger will ask what's wrong with your car.
Funny my wife and daughter never complain about the ride quality and we laugh when I tell her about all the negative comments about the way it rides.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 08:26 AM   #37
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor Fast View Post
That's why I said it's all preference. For me, I want the best well rounded Camaro which would be a ZL1 1LE or SS 1LE if naturally aspirated is desired. If your preference is drag racing then I'd say get the ZL1. Like you said, the 1LE package on the ZL1 really pushes it to an all out track car. That makes it pretty special and unique. How many cars are coming off the showroom that are nearly full on built for the track?
But the 1LE is not the best well rounded version, its a track only package. The standard ZL1 is the best well rounded version.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 08:27 AM   #38
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauly1119 View Post
Funny my wife and daughter never complain about the ride quality and we laugh when I tell her about all the negative comments about the way it rides.
Might depend on the roads you drive on or maybe they've never ridden in a standard ZL1 for comparison.
Old 08-25-2021, 12:51 PM   #39
Chippy
BanHamWatch

Drives: 21 ZL1 1LE
Honestly I could not fathom spending they money for a regular ZL1. The only one that looked good to me that made me want one was the ZLE. Up badging like adding the parts for from a ZLE is just distasteful, But hey what do they say impersonating is the best form of flattery?
My ZLE is top of the line in looks and performance and I’m not making excuses for being willing to spend the money or have the patience to find the one I wanted.
I’ve been on Hellcat forums prior to being here and you now what’s sad you don’t see Porsche owners or Mclaren or Lamborghini etc ever adding the Senna wing to a Hurrican but I sure see it here on this post and it was rampant to see Hellcat badges on V6,s
Old 08-25-2021, 02:25 PM   #40
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippy View Post
Honestly I could not fathom spending they money for a regular ZL1. The only one that looked good to me that made me want one was the ZLE. Up badging like adding the parts for from a ZLE is just distasteful, But hey what do they say impersonating is the best form of flattery?
My ZLE is top of the line in looks and performance and I’m not making excuses for being willing to spend the money or have the patience to find the one I wanted.
I’ve been on Hellcat forums prior to being here and you now what’s sad you don’t see Porsche owners or Mclaren or Lamborghini etc ever adding the Senna wing to a Hurrican but I sure see it here on this post and it was rampant to see Hellcat badges on V6,s
I do agree with you that most people that add the aero do it because the like the ZLE looks so sure flattery to that car.. distasteful? I don't think so unless you also pretend and tell people your car is a ZLE. I also agree with badging the car with the wrong like you mention hellcat on V6.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Old 08-25-2021, 02:30 PM   #41
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippy View Post
People like you crack me up, you bought the 1LE for its looks rather than what it was made for which is the track. The 1LE is a track package, its not a higher trim model than the standard ZL1, its simply an add-on package intended for track usage. Last time I checked, the ZL1 1LE has the same damn ZL1 badges that a standard ZL1 has. If you never intend to track your car, you wasted your money for appearance and gave up ride quality with it. Sure you'll tell me it was all worth it, just like every other 1LE owner says when they buy them but then sell them within a year or two with 2K miles on them, hardly driven because they didn't enjoy driving them. Take your ignorant conceited BS somewhere else because no one here is buying it.

For the 1LE owners that read this, kudos to those of you that actually track your cars, that's what it was designed for. For the posers that bought a 1LE for the big WAANG and thought you bought a higher trim model, you make me laugh.
Old 08-25-2021, 02:36 PM   #42
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
People like you crack me up, you bought the 1LE for its looks rather than what it was made for which is the track. The 1LE is a track package, its not a higher trim model than the standard ZL1, its simply an add-on package intended for track usage. Last time I checked, the ZL1 1LE has the same damn ZL1 badges that a standard ZL1 has. If you never intend to track your car, you wasted your money for appearance and gave up ride quality with it. Sure you'll tell me it was all worth it, just like every other 1LE owner says when they buy them but then sell them within a year or two with 2K miles on them, hardly driven because they didn't enjoy driving them. Take your ignorant conceited BS somewhere else because no one here is buying it.

For the 1LE owners that read this, kudos to those of you that actually track your cars, that's what it was designed for. For the posers that bought a 1LE for the big WAANG and thought you bought a higher trim model, you make me laugh.
This exactly. A 1LE that doesn’t get tracked is a complete waste of money. Same for a Viper ACR, GT500 etc
Kong Stage X Port, NW103, LPE HPFP, XDI +30 Injectors, ARH Headers, Flex Fuel, JMS Booster, AWE Touring, Elite E2-X CC. Stock heads, stock cam, stock pulleys: Tuned by KingLT1. 740whp Uncorrected on e50
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension, zl1, zle