Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-05-2023, 09:46 PM   #15
NiteProwlerSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
My car has the factory Hurst and it seems fine to me, but this is the only stick shift performance car I've owned. I test drove a 2010 M6 with the standard shifter about a month before I bought my car but honestly can't remember how different it was to my car. My question is why and how is the MGW better? I've been considering this shifter for my first mod.
Old 08-05-2023, 10:21 PM   #16
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Drives: 2011 chevrolet camaro 2ss/rs
MGW all the way....

I have an MGW short throw shifter with the flat stick shifter. I originally had the hurst shifter option. They are night and day. With the Hurst, I found my self searching for gears, especially when I was really getting on it.The MGW is a bit notchy, but I personally prefer that feel. The hurst has alot of "play" in it, the MGW uses Poly bushings so the shifter feels more "in place". I definitely did gain a little bit of NVH(Noise Vibration Harshness) with the MGW but its a small trade off for the performance aspect of it. I love my MGW and would never go back to stock again. The MGW feels so good in the hand, and I have a classic White 6 speed round shift knob which feels great in the hand. The hurst knob always wiggled around on the handle, which I hated. My car only had 32k miles on it when I bought it and the shifter felt worn out and tired already. I think the MGW is a great first mod.

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
The_bald_eagle_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 10:46 PM   #17
NiteProwlerSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Well you guys have sold me on the mgw, now to decide retro or flat stick. I think I'd prefer the retro anybody have some pics of either installed?
Old 08-06-2023, 03:56 AM   #18
SSJ2

Drives: 2010 2SS CAMARO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BBK Long tube headers, Hi flo cats, straight pipe muffler delete with j-pipes. K+N CAI, Soler Performance Ported Throttle Body, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Phantom Grill, MGW flatstick shifter. 3.91 Gears, Ported Rod Mod Intake, ZTA Spoiler, Rohana RC22 20x10 20x11.
SSJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 01:14 AM   #19
racesloth
Dan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS IOM
Love my MGW. Never missed a shift with it. I live in Augusta and since I was local the owner offer to install mine for free. He met me on a Sunday morning and had a nice chat while he installed it, showing me what he was doing the whole way. Perfect customer service. I ordered mine with the orange SS on the ball to match my IOM paint. He said it might look better with the red SS logo and went in the back to get one. We went back an forth on the two and decided the red looked better and matched the red in the SS logo on the trunk lid. Props for customer service.

2010 IOM SS
YSI-B, Pat G Cam, Ported CTS-V Heads, ARH LTs MBRP 3" exhaust
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...&highlight=ysi
racesloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 06:38 AM   #20
sswt00ss
Visualize°Design°Create

Drives: '18 CTS-V & '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteProwlerSS View Post
Well you guys have sold me on the mgw, now to decide retro or flat stick. I think I'd prefer the retro anybody have some pics of either installed?

I have one for sale (Retro) in the TX sub-forum. I never installed it from the party I bought it from. Sold the Camaro (2012 1SS) I got it for.

No plans to install it in ZL1.
sswt00ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 08:42 AM   #21
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Drives: 2011 chevrolet camaro 2ss/rs
Here is my flat stick.
Attached Images

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
The_bald_eagle_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 09:36 PM   #22
Bee

Drives: SS/RS - Rally Yellow
Here's a picture of my MGW short throw, which I absolutely love. I got it back in 2011 so I'm not sure if that's considered 'retro' or not. They only had one option back then...with or without the race knob.

Name:  2011-10-16_DSC0957.JPG
Views: 104
Size:  166.0 KB

SEPA5 South Eastern Pennsylvania 5th Gen Camaro Club
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 09:51 PM   #23
Danial

Drives: 2013 SS/RS, 2015 Camaro SS/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ2 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a beautiful thing!
Old 08-08-2023, 09:53 PM   #24
Danial

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bald_eagle_machine View Post
Here is my flat stick.
Love it. I am partial to the old school, white ball shifters with the Hurst style, flat form factor. Owned many an original. If I was at all interested in customizing my 2015 CE vert, this is the first thing I would do.
Old 08-09-2023, 04:15 AM   #25
Toronto

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by racesloth View Post
Love my MGW. Never missed a shift with it. I live in Augusta and since I was local the owner offer to install mine for free. He met me on a Sunday morning and had a nice chat while he installed it, showing me what he was doing the whole way. Perfect customer service. I ordered mine with the orange SS on the ball to match my IOM paint. He said it might look better with the red SS logo and went in the back to get one. We went back an forth on the two and decided the red looked better and matched the red in the SS logo on the trunk lid. Props for customer service.

that’s absolutely crazy you met with the owner! Great story I AM SOLD!
Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 05:43 AM   #26
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
I have a MGW in my C6 Corvette and really like it. I bought extra parts so at some point I can go back to the stock knob if I want. Also a few different knobs so I can swap out based on how I feel for a few months. Overall I'm very happy.

BTW - email them and you can typically get a 5% coupon. Not a a lot of savings but helps with the sales tax a tad.
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 10:19 PM   #27
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
Mine

Retro
Attached Images

chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 10:48 PM   #28
Danial

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef-beavis View Post
Retro
I'm not sure why it's funny to me but "Chef Beavis from Turd Town Wisconsin" just sounds hilarious.

Great pic by the way.

Tags
hurst, mgw, mgw shifter, short throw