Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 02-29-2008, 11:18 AM   #1
Bowtie Guy Z28

Drives: 98' Z28 08 CC Z71 2010 SS/RS
First time to the track....

So I've had 3 Camaro's and have never been to the track to see what type of ETA any of them could do . Well, just recently I was "recruited" to sign up for a 3 day Shootout in June because apparently these things keep getting over ran by imports . I'm really excited to go but don't know if I need to do any prep on my Camaro first. Oil, tire pressure, brake checks are all obvious....but do I need to do anything else (tranny flush, dif?) My Camaro has just about 104,000 miles on it (daily driver) and I don't think I'm ready to be dropping a new motor in her
Bowtie Guy Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:49 AM   #2
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I wouldn't necessarliy worry about an oil change unless it's getting to be that time. 4th gens are track runners. I used to take my Z28 all the time to the track and it was a daily driver. Never a problem.

Now, as far as a tranny fluid flush, etc,...The best advice I can give is to call your local dealer (service) shop and ask them when those things come along (at what milage). That's what I do w/ my SS and go w/ what's recommended. I get my service done according to what is recommended and don't have any issues. I want my SS to last.

Sorry I couldn't give you more, but thet dealer is the best bet. Other than that, let us know how it goes!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:30 PM   #3
Bowtie Guy Z28

Hey Tag thanks for the advice!!

I also plan to to put just over $1,000 into it between now and then (so i don't get my a** handed to me). So far I have MSD wires and Bosch Platnum plugs, the normal free mods, K&N, Vortex(?) cherry bomb dual exhaust, SLP Panhard, CenterForce One Dual Friction racing clutch.

With the $1,000.00 I was thinking BBK 85mm Intake and TB, SLP lid, smooth bellows, SLP MAF, 160 Degree stat. Can you recommend any over the other or something in place of any of these? What was your biggest gainer in HP on yours?
Old 02-29-2008, 05:05 PM   #4
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
if ur going to do the intake, might as well upgrade to the LS6 or LSX intake manifold and get the 90mm t/b. you said you have the cherry bombs, is that attached to long tubes? or are you still rockin the shorties?

I will say DO NOT...and I repeat DO NOT buy an aftermarket maf. they are not worth it. your stock one will hold up to more horsepower than you can run and you can tune a lot easier on the stocker. aftermarket mafs will do a lil on a PURELY STOCK motor, but if you have any plans of upgrading in the future, stick with stock, just port, polish, and descreen it.
and if that question mark after the vortex means you are thinking about getting one of those tornado gizmos... dont. they arent worth it.
160* stat will keep you runnin colder. also what kind of tires do you have/plan to run? street tires? slicks? et streets?
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:38 AM   #5
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

My biggest gain was easily from the SLP lid. I noticed a difference w/ the lid alone. Put a K&N in there too. If you don't wanna spend the money on the cold air intake, no prob. Just cut out a large hole in the bottom of the air filter holder (you'll have to take the enitre peice off to see just where to cut), but that will push a lot more air into the air intake as well. Do a search on Z28.com or Camaroz28.com for the free mod write up.....or just do a search on SLP's site for the directions on installing the SLP cold air kit (it'll show you where to cut). That'll give ya an extra gain as well.

Hmmm...w/ that grand, so far you'll only spend a $100 on a lid and 0 for the freebie cold air mod. I'd use $500 and buy me a set of long tubes w/ y-pipe and that should easily net you another 40hp.

Like Spike said, I really didn't see any difference w/ my SLP MAF....not worth it in my opinion. But, go for the smooth bellows...don't cost too much.

Free flowing exhaust is a must. I had the SLP loudmouth on my last Z28 and I'll swear by it anyday. I LOVED and really miss that sound. Basically, there's no muffler...it's just a resonator w/ straight pipes....pretty cool and pretty loud.

When going to the track, let out the rear tire pressure down to 20psi. That'll get ya some more rubber to the track...warm up those tires and if they are on street tires, STAY OUT OF THE WATER!!! Only if you have slicks on the rear should you go through the water. If not, that water gets in all the ridges of your tires and you'll spin, spin, spin.

All that will really help. I did all that minus long tubes in my Z28 and went from about a 13.10 1/4 mile down to a 12.74 @ 111mph. I'm sure if I had long tubes, it would have gone down considerably more.

Oh, and I have the LS6 intake on mine...you don't. You might want to do that w/ what's left over after long tubes and SLP lid...and bellows. I guarantee you WILL feel the difference after that!

Hope that helps!!
Old 03-01-2008, 02:44 AM   #6
Bowtie Guy Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
if ur going to do the intake, might as well upgrade to the LS6 or LSX intake manifold and get the 90mm t/b.
I'd definitely be getting the LS6 intake and TB by either BBK or Weiland but likely only the 85mm.

Quote:
you said you have the cherry bombs, is that attached to long tubes? or are you still rockin the shorties?
No sorry for the confusion on this but the muffler itself says Vortex (i believe) then Cherry Bombs I had never heard of it before (came with the car used) but noticed it on the top side of the muffler when I replaced my fuel pump. And no shorties or LT's:( not yet that is, just stock. Is it a pain to put the LT's in? I know replacing the plugs took me forever
Quote:
also what kind of tires do you have/plan to run? street tires? slicks? et streets?
Just some good ol classic streets!
Old 03-01-2008, 02:54 AM   #7
Bowtie Guy Z28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
My biggest gain was easily from the SLP lid. I noticed a difference w/ the lid alone. Put a K&N in there too. If you don't wanna spend the money on the cold air intake, no prob. Just cut out a large hole in the bottom of the air filter holder (you'll have to take the enitre peice off to see just where to cut), but that will push a lot more air into the air intake as well. Do a search on Z28.com or Camaroz28.com for the free mod write up.....or just do a search on SLP's site for the directions on installing the SLP cold air kit (it'll show you where to cut). That'll give ya an extra gain as well
I'll definitely get that lid. Yeah I found those free mods online last year sometime. Oh man, I thought my wife was going to kill me when she came home and saw me using a power saw cutting out the bottom of the filter box I still have to do the TB bypass and hack off the bottom of the EGR that plugs into the intake. Have you done this on yours yet and did it work at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Hmmm...w/ that grand, so far you'll only spend a $100 on a lid and 0 for the freebie cold air mod. I'd use $500 and buy me a set of long tubes w/ y-pipe and that should easily net you another 40hp.
Damn I had completely forgot about the LT's until I read your post! I may have to up it to $1,500!
Old 03-01-2008, 03:42 AM   #8
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Never did the TB bypass. I'll have to look it up and check it out again.

Up it to 1,500?!?! There's even a WHOLE lot more you could do w/ that!
Old 03-05-2008, 11:02 AM   #9
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I'm assuming you have an auto' so I'd recommend a torque converter before anything else. You won't find a mod' that will net you as big a seat-of-the-pants feeling OR improvement at the track other than nitrous. Ultimately, the bigger stall converter you go, the better, however it will feel looser than stock, so depending on how you percieve it, will be good or bad in your eyes. I wrote up a quick thread on my website if you would like a little better explaination of a converter: http://s2.excoboard.com/exco/thread....readid=1500521

Another site to look for some information on torque converters: http://www.converter.cc/faq/faq_main.htm

My site is crappy but if you scroll down about four posts, you'll find my input.

As far as regular maintenance, I'd stick with what the dealer recommends. I don't know that I'd do a flush with the mileage on your car; I've read that many people think that the old fluid sometimes helps seal the small imperfections in the tranny and flushing new fluid in will sometimes wash away some of the old crud sealing everything together. I'd DEFINATELY change the filter and gasket and add the four quarts of ATF or so, but I personally won't flush my tranny.

These are just my opinions. I'm not trying to change your mind or tell you what to do. I do wish you the best of time at the track though and am sure you'll run great times.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is online now   Reply With Quote