Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-09-2009, 09:29 AM   #169
Phil Oliver

Drives: 2010 SIM Camaro 1LT
I find the title of this thread offensive. Saying the V6 isn't a real Camaro is weak.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:07 PM   #170
Nova65

Drives: 2010 2LT RS Auto IBM Black Int
you should ask the vette guys did you get a base corvette or a real (ZR1) vette?
Nova65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:50 PM   #171
5th_Generation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
I dare someone to. I'll just ask what were they driving at 18.
5th_Generation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:08 PM   #172
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Ok, I will keep playing.

just to stir the pot some more...

Since we are all Camaro brothers...remember this, when some idiot asks if you have a real Camaro or a V6, ask them to stand in front of your Camaro while you launch it at 5k RPM. If they refuse, then they have their answer.

to our V6 brothers, be happy with your V6 and stop reading the SS threads and stop justifying to yourselves and everyone why you settled for a V6 yada yada yada

to the V8 brotherhood....well, what can I say...no justification necessary I doubt of the possibility that I will ever say "I should have gotten a V6"

Last edited by ffrcobra_65; 07-09-2009 at 01:38 PM.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:27 PM   #173
geminidreams

Drives: ABM 2LT / RS
We are all on this site because of the love we all have for this Car.. I know Im happy to see the people getting the V8 SS and the LT2 as well as anything inbetween as long as it's a Camaro WE are all united lol..
geminidreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:52 PM   #174
MontyCarlo

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS auto IBM
It could just be that people don't have a lot of options for making small talk about the car. There's "what kind did you get," "how's it feel," and "how much ya pay for that."
3. Yes, but the medication helps immensely.

2LT/RS IBM/gray #21,895 ordered April 21st, delivered July 3rd
MontyCarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:57 PM   #175
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
MODS:

THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Camaros RULE!!
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:37 PM   #176
S8ER01Z

Drives: Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_Generation View Post
I dare someone to. I'll just ask what were they driving at 18.
A 1995 Z28.... I was making 10hr right out of highschool and since 4th gens were dirt cheap...well wasn't hard to own one.
S8ER01Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:31 PM   #177
kga10734
Don't Feed the Troll

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS & 1999 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post
Hi pot...meet kettle.

7 years ago the LS1 was making far MORE than 304hp. You should do some reading up.

I think you are waaaaay to hung up on HP numbers... IF the 2002 Z28 only made 310hp *which it doesn't* the weight thing would still make a bigger difference than you are letting on. Also the axle ratio is useless without accounting for the gear ratios, tire height, etc... considering 3.23s were optional on the automatics and 3.42s were standard on the manual cars I think you overlooked at lot of information either of purpose or because you don't know any better.

You won't hang with a 2002 Z28 man... I'm sorry but you are looking at 'claimed' horsepower numbers and not accounting for anything else. If HP is the only thing you can relate then we can do this...

10hp = 100lbs (using rule of thumb... it's not exact just a way to simplify this)

311lbs (the difference you quoted) would mean there is a 30hp gap that needs to be made in order for the heavier car to run with the lighter one (assuming everything else is equal).

Given that the 2002 Z28 actually makes 350+hp that means you would need to make 380+hp for your 311lb heavier car to run equal (once again assuming you had the same aerodynamics, gearing, etc). Is that making any sense?

You need to go back about 12 years...to when the LT1 made about the same power. Even then you would have the weight difference to make up so I still don't see you running down a properly running LT1 stock to stock.
Here is where I got the info for a 2002 Z28

http://www.kbb.com/KBB/UsedCars/Spec...&Mileage=50000

So according to that info yes they had 310 hp w/ a 2.73 geared rear end. I know you have options, I wasn't born yesterday, it was the day before, so I am just using this option package as a comparison. So using your weight formula it would only have 36 more hp and the 2010 Camaro with the traction control and no wheel spin from take off and the lower rear gears, I would say yes the 2010 w/ 3.6L V6 could hang with a stock 2002 Z28.

We could back and forth all day long but it won't change some peoples minds and I'm not going to try. It looks to me that in some peoples book unless you have the biggest and baddest engine available for that year model you don't have a real Camaro or what ever car you might be talking about.

So I guess I will drive my little V6 Camaro around in shame and try to stay out of your way.

If I wanted a 2ss I would have gotten one, money was not an issue. I don't plan on driving this car forever. It will be given to my son when he turns 16 and what a first car it will be for him. When that day comes you had better get out of my way then because I will be getting the "REAL" Chevrolet sports car, thats right I will be getting a Vette, but unless I get the biggest and baddest available at that time it will just be a poser wont it.

This is my last post to this thread, so I won't reply to anything you post.

Last edited by kga10734; 07-09-2009 at 09:23 PM.
kga10734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:50 AM   #178
FISHTAIL

Drives: Sedan & 2SS / RS
[QUOTE=ffrcobra_65;658473]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHTAIL View Post
Don’t call it the V6, just call it the standard model! After all the V8 is a performance upgrade.

how about "entry level" Camaro?
Don't like the way this sounds, it sounds like they were barely able to get four wheels on it so you could drive it home, Lol. Specially if you got the
2LT/RS that has all the goodies.

I’m extremely happy with my 2LT I got the looks of the SS, the power of an old school V8 and the gas savings of a 4 Cylinder all raped up with a Chevy bowtie.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:53 AM   #179
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldag92 View Post

First of all, let me say that I am THRILLED with my new SIM 2LT/RS. Love, love, love the car. However, the question in the subject title has been asked of me three times (in some variation, but basically the same question) in the first 24 hours of ownership.

WTF? I'm starting to get an inadequacy complex already.

I was deciding between the 2LT and a 2SS, and I decided to go with the 2LT for a few reasons:

1) Several thousand cheaper, better gas mileage, and a cheaper insurance rate (and with a family of 5, the overall savings is a big deal)
2) PLENTY of power in the 2LT
3) I am hoping to pass this car down to my kiddo in three years, and she absolutely won't need an SS or the insurance rates to go with it (and probably even this car has a little too much juice for a new driver)

Has anyone else with a V6 Camaro had the same scenario come up regularly? What do you say to the people who ask? The guy who asked me about it today on the golf course drives a Mustang GT that's a couple years old. My dad told him I had picked up my Camaro yesterday, and he asked the magic question. When I told him I got the V6, he had this disappointed look on his face and said "ohhhh.....well, I'm sure it is still pretty nice." I responded "Yeah, I really like it, and from what I've heard, it will smoke a Mustang." Heh.
It's normal to get asked that question.. Same thing when you have an auto SS, you will have people asking if you bought a stick shift V8 or not...If you feel bad about it and are second guessing your decision, just sell your V6 and get a V8... Life's too short to be worrying about what others think anyways..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kga10734 View Post

So according to that info yes they had 310 hp w/ a 2.73 geared rear end. I know you have options, I wasn't born yesterday, it was the day before, so I am just using this option package as a comparison. So using your weight formula it would only have 36 more hp and the 2010 Camaro with the traction control and no wheel spin from take off and the lower rear gears, I would say yes the 2010 w/ 3.6L V6 could hang with a stock 2002 Z28.

We could back and forth all day long but it won't change some peoples minds and I'm not going to try. It looks to me that in some peoples book unless you have the biggest and baddest engine available for that year model you don't have a real Camaro or what ever car you might be talking about.

So I guess I will drive my little V6 Camaro around in shame and try to stay out of your way.

If I wanted a 2ss I would have gotten one, money was not an issue. I don't plan on driving this car forever. It will be given to my son when he turns 16 and what a first car it will be for him. When that day comes you had better get out of my way then because I will be getting the "REAL" Chevrolet sports car, thats right I will be getting a Vette, but unless I get the biggest and baddest available at that time it will just be a poser wont it.

Don't kid yourself, the 2010 V6 Camaro is not as fast as the 2002 Z28.. A 2000 Z28 w/ 90K miles does 0-60 mph in the low 5's and the 1/4 at 13.32@109 mph on average. When it was new it would be faster. And yes the torque and gearing is what makes the biggest difference if the horsepower is similar. The V6 2010 Camaro's 0-60 times are not below 6 seconds for any of the recorded testing times of the magazines..
Old 07-10-2009, 09:13 AM   #180
S8ER01Z

Drives: Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kga10734 View Post

nothing to go back and forth about... if you can hang with this then we can agree on it... something tells me it's not happening...

Now my old LT1 (1995 Automatic 3.23) only ran 14.1 @ 97mph on a 2.1 60ft (2000+DA), probably still going to be a little quicker than the 2010 V6 but I haven't seen enough results from the strip to make that call yet.

You have little man syndrome...BIG TIME (irony at its finest)... I never said anything negative about your car. I think you are misinformed about the 4th gen like most first time Camaro owners seem to be.

FWIW buying a vette is no big deal (not sure why that came up)... It's not like I'm poor and own a 4th gen because I couldn't go buy a different car. Deflate the ego and take the information presented... no one here is pissing in your cereal. If you really want to educate yourself all you need to do is look a little further than the mainstream magazines...
S8ER01Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 01:07 AM   #181
McGruff

Drives: 98 Saturn
Quote:
The 2002 Z28 is faster than the 2010 V6. That is just fact.

Quote:
That is exactly right; some people will bash the V6. It's not worth getting upset over, it's the world we live in. V6 people will get some crap from others, sorry to say.
McGruff is offline   Reply With Quote