Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-14-2014, 10:27 AM   #1
tohper

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Advice. Needed

Ive finished off the exhaust system, cai, tune etc. Now im stuck on where i should go next either my suspension to stop wheel hop or some 345 gears. Does it matter or any suggestions why one would be better then the other?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Body-removed stock decals had painted in inferno orange
tohper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:17 AM   #2
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Suspension! Get you some cradle bushings along with some Trailing Arms. That will really help to stiff up you suspension, get rid of most if not all of your wheel hop, and allow you to put the power to the ground.

BTW: don't waste your money on 3.45 gears. Go with at least 3.70 or don't bother. Just my opinion.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:35 PM   #3
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Are you having wheel hop issues now? Typically, that's not much of an issue for the L99 till you have a lot more power. That being said, suspension mods are NEVER a bad idea. I'd also go with a little more gear than the 3.45, unless you're planning to go FI. 3.70's are much better for getting this pig moving but they are a bit more $$ than 3.45's.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:48 PM   #4
Deezee

Drives: 2013 SS/RS
I don't think at that power level wheel hop is too bad? What do you do with the car? DD, drag race? Long term goals? And what are you looking to spend now? I'd say a nice cam would be my next choice! but know your long term goal. As for gears I really like the 3.91's but they aren't "best" for FI later. I did ride in a ysi car with them and it's doable! suspension mods are never a bad thing either. Look into pfadt and bmr. Apex has great pricing on them!
Deezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:54 AM   #5
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by tohper View Post
Ive finished off the exhaust system, cai, tune etc. Now im stuck on where i should go next either my suspension to stop wheel hop or some 345 gears. Does it matter or any suggestions why one would be better then the other?

It is hard to wrong with suspension. If you are looking to get rid of the wheel I would look at rear cradle bushings, trailing arms, outer trailing arm bushings and toe rods, Each car and setup is a little different so you have to attack the wheel hop on a car by car basis.

If you want give me some details on the car and your goals with it and I would be more than happy to throw together a recommendation for you.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:56 AM   #6
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
CutOuts
Because they sound awesome and free up some extra HP.
My DMH cutouts added 7RWHP on the dyno
Old 01-16-2014, 11:00 AM   #7
tohper

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Well its a DD for now LS3 conversion is on the table for my next big mod this year. Im only at 365 rwhp, 396 torque. I drag if very rarely. The gears was what was suggested by ADM. I dont have any wheel hop but im think it will eventually have enough hp it will. So thought it would be easier to prepare for it ahead of time.

Body-removed stock decals had painted in inferno orange
tohper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:21 AM   #8
Jason@Phastek

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Jason@Phastek
I would go with the Suspension. There is a lot of slop left in the bushings that are keeping the Camaro from putting the power to the ground. Bushings and Trailing Arms are a must.
Jason@Phastek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:54 AM   #9
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tohper View Post
Well its a DD for now LS3 conversion is on the table for my next big mod this year. Im only at 365 rwhp, 396 torque. I drag if very rarely. The gears was what was suggested by ADM. I dont have any wheel hop but im think it will eventually have enough hp it will. So thought it would be easier to prepare for it ahead of time.

I think you'd be better off spending some time here reading the various threads. Sounds like you're not in a big rush to do anything at the moment and you're taking advice from ONE shop. While it may not be wrong advice, it may not be what's best for you. I'd concentrate my time reading on VVT vs LS3 conversion. Many shops recommend the conversion because they don't have much, if any, experience with VVT tuning. It really is the best of both worlds, but it's a little more expensive on the front end. Gears are another thing to look at. While 3.45's are better than the 3.2x gears in our A6's, $800 is a lot to spend on a such a small increase. GM 3.91's are nice and probably the same price as new 3.45's, but some think that may be a little too much, especially if you're planning on going FI in the future. 3.70's are just about perfect but they are more expensive than the other two. As I said earlier, suspension is never a bad bet. I'd start with the basics and move up from there. Best bang for the buck is probably springs and sways. You can get packages in the $600 range and they can be done in your garage. Bushings are nice too but can get expensive if you can't do them yourself. All this is a lot to take in but that's why I recommend you READ, then read some more. When you finally understand it, and have a direction to go in, THEN make decisions on which route to take. That will save you a LOT of time and money.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote