Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-17-2015, 02:02 AM   #15
Shiftgreen

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE AGM
One of the reasons I'm in the back watching them change my oil. Even if I have to stand for over an hour. As long as they are ok with me being in there. Only dealership that I know of that lets me do this is about 20 miles from home, but piece of mind is worth it.
Shiftgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 10:53 AM   #16
GONIF

Drives: 73 VETTE ,, 05 2500hd diesel,14 1LE
I have trust issues, I do everything that I can myself .
Old 01-17-2015, 11:16 AM   #17
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONIF View Post
I have trust issues, I do everything that I can myself .
With you 100% on this. I have done all of my oil changes, transmission fluid change and diff fluid changes myself. And all with Royal Purple.

I know I have said this before, but the RP Synchromax in the tranny has really made it smoother...
Old 01-17-2015, 12:17 PM   #18
backeddy
Banned

Drives: 2011 Boxster Spyder (best car ever)
Sorry to bring out the trust issue, but with my recent dealer experience, anything is possible in my books. oh and
Quote:
dealer started it and ran it and when the oil pressure never came up, they realized "oh sh!t we forgot to put the oil in...." Shut if off, filled oil, pressure came up and sent you on your way.
makes the most sense to me.
backeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 12:24 PM   #19
NYblack1le

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
i might sound crazy but this is essentially a car built for racing. I see no reason why anybody who drives a "race car" would bring the car to the dealership to change the oil. You can drive this car up on 2x4's and have plenty of room to do an oil change without a jack.
NYblack1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 02:48 AM   #20
gmorcos37

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1LE
Doubt it is coincidence right after a fresh oil change, I say could be a dealer issue too. I've seen too many dealer fails.
gmorcos37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:30 AM   #21
GR8WHITE1

Drives: camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYblack1le View Post
i might sound crazy but this is essentially a car built for racing. I see no reason why anybody who drives a "race car" would bring the car to the dealership to change the oil. You can drive this car up on 2x4's and have plenty of room to do an oil change without a jack.
When it's included for two years for free why not? I wouldn't call a 1LE a "race car" Z28 maybe.
GR8WHITE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:57 AM   #22
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
..also had too many problems arise after every 'stealership' oil change(worked fine before). And always answered as 'new problem unrelated to service'. This was part of an extended warranty purchase(free oil changes). WTF? Forget them. Btw, it's my van, but still...
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:10 AM   #23
NYblack1le

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8WHITE1 View Post
When it's included for two years for free why not? I wouldn't call a 1LE a "race car" Z28 maybe.
Doesnt sound free to me
NYblack1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:24 AM   #24
djnice

Drives: 13 ZL1 SIM, 99 Z28 Black
Did they make that service bulletin to cover dealerships making mistakes doing oil changes?
Old 01-18-2015, 12:45 PM   #25
javi05

Drives: 14 ss 1le camaro
Lmao. That's funny I get free oil changes for 2 years 24k miles who in their right mind wouldn't go and do that?? After those miles are up for sure I'm changing it myself with what I want. Now it wouldn't be smart to chnage all my fluids to non GM and this happens .. I bet they would blame the oil I used or how I did it .. Some people just jump to conclusions lol. I wanted feed back on lifters and what you guys thought might have caused it. Not all this why do you take it to dealer etc... Not extended warranty I never buy that crap every 2014 GM has this service 2 years free oil changes. My car has had some extensive work to it already GM had to replace first and second gears syn, etc. Then I had a ground wire problem. And now this lifter ... Like I said you pay to play I drive the car hard. And something will always break, with no mods I can take it back each time.. I'm waiting for about 25k ish to start modding and glad I waitied lol

2014 camaro 2ss 1LE. blk on blk..stock
javi05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 01:06 PM   #26
GR8WHITE1

Drives: camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYblack1le View Post
Doesnt sound free to me
First off the op doesn't even know for sure if it was directly related to the oil change. Second how many hundreds of thousands of oil changes are done without issue, a hell of alot. I will continue to get my included oil changes free of charge until I put my cam in, then I will do them myself.
GR8WHITE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:29 PM   #27
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by javi05 View Post
so i went and got my oil changed from the dealer full syn the day before. when i got it back it drove fine. parked it at work and came back out afterwork and started it.. it was about 44f outside, and i noticed a small lifter noise. i thought oh the car is cold, it will quit as it warms up. now i been noticing that tick lately and also when i start the car in the morning it sounds like not enough oil is up top (valvetrain)for the first few second upon cold start ups. not giving it no mind i just kept driving even getting on it pretty good later on that night like i do with my 1le going threw the gears etc.. made it home.. turned it off.. in the morning its about 35 degrees out and i start her up and right away lights come on, check engine light, stabli, traction lights etc. and the car has a miss fire.. i let it warm up on its own and drove away str8 towards the dealer which is about 5 miles from me.. after it got to operating temps the check light came off and the car evened out no miss fire just a light tapping sound from up top like a lifter went bad.. check engine light never came back on.. they scanned the codes and came back with missfire on cylinder # ? and emissions code.. my service manger says i have bad news you need new cam and lifters. im like how did that happen? they said they will see when they tear it down.. and i said is there anything i could have done to cause this he said not really, and it will be covered under warranty.. car is bone stock.. so do you think the harsh cold start ups caused this? because imo if i did harm the car by driving it hard that night wouldnt the check engine light come on right away? missfires? and all? need some input on this... thanks.
Don't tell me. Just after an oil change like me and was it cylinder #6 like me also with the stabilitrac lights. Does it sound like a loud knock like it could've been a rod bearing. My car sits now because of this. Check to see if they used the wrong oil filter.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:32 PM   #28
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOGGS-LS3-1LE View Post
I've seen it quite frequently, seen it on truck/suv 4.8, 5.3 6.0 and 6.2ls, from 2005 up to 2012..seems like a manufacturing issue with the roller tip on these lifters, has been happening for quite some time. takes out the cam also. do a search and see how many have had this issue.
Am I wrong for saying we should all do Z06 lifter upgrades on our engines to help remedy this issue? Also could it be not a failed but a failing oil pump.

Last edited by L99CAMA2011; 01-18-2015 at 08:49 PM.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote