Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 06-05-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
Landshark

Drives: 1LT/RS
Tire siping

Has anyone had this done on their p zero's. We have a tire dealer here (Les Schwab) that will do mine for 61 bucks. They say it will help the wear and dissipate the heat better. I don't think they come that way.

Thanks for your replies.

Last edited by Landshark; 06-05-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:47 PM   #2
cowboy1948

Drives: 10 LT2/RS-08 SILVERADO-05 COBALT
Cool

What is tire siping? Never heard of it.

Retired
cowboy1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:49 PM   #3
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
what is it?
Old 06-05-2010, 05:53 PM   #4
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
dont know what it is, but i'm gonna go with no, don't do it.

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:55 PM   #5
Landshark

Drives: 1LT/RS
http://lesschwab.com/siping.asp

This is the best way to explain it. These are are the guys who do it here locally.
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:57 PM   #6
csjcsj

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 6spd
Siping is a process of cutting thin slits across a rubber surface to improve traction in wet or icy conditions.

Siping was invented and patented in 1923 by John F. Sipe [1] [2] The story told on various websites is that, in the 1920s, Sipe worked in a slaughterhouse and grew tired of slipping on the wet floors. He found that cutting slits in the tread on the bottoms of his shoes provided better traction than the uncut tread.

The process was not applied to vehicle tires on a large scale until the 1950s, when superior tread compounds were developed that could stand up to the siping process. On roads covered with snow, ice, mud, and water, sipes usually increase traction. A US patent to Goodyear claimed sipes improve tire traction as well, and tend to close completely in the tire "footprint" on the road. A 1978 study by the US National Safety Council found siping improved stopping distances by 22 percent, breakaway traction by 65 percent, and rolling traction by 28 percent on glare ice.

Tire tread block shapes, groove configurations, and sipes affect tire noise pattern and traction characteristics. Typically, wide, straight grooves have a low noise level and good water removal. More lateral grooves usually increase traction. Sipes are small grooves that are cut across larger tread elements. Up to a point, more sipes give more traction in snow or mud.

As is often the case, there are compromises. Winter tires, and "mud and snow" tires, may have thousands of sipes and give good traction. But, they may feel "squirmy" on a warm, dry road. Treadless racing "slicks" on dry roads give maximum traction. These have no sipes, no grooves, and no tread blocks. They also have very poor traction however on even slightly wet surfaces. Tire manufacturers use different tread rubber compounds and tread designs for different tires' usages.

Large sipes are usually built into the tread during manufacturing. Sipes may also be cut into the tread at a later date, called "microsiping". Bandag developed a machine for microsiping which places a curved knife blade at a slight angle on a rotating drum. The drum is placed so when it is pressed against the tread the tire is pressed into an exaggerated hollow, as if driving down a rail. The drum is lubricated and rotated and the knife makes a series of diagonal cuts across the tread. For improved traction, the tire may be siped twice, leaving diamond-shaped blocks. A significant problem with field siping is that the tread picks up rocks, glass, and other hard road debris in use, and even with thorough cleaning the knife service life is often poor.

Microsiping can dramatically improve tire traction in rain and snow. However, microsiped tires may also have increased road noise and tire wear when operated on dry surfaces. ConsumerReports.org recommends against adding more than "the sipes that your tires come with" because of longevity and dry performance. [3] Some companies such as Les Schwab claim that microsiped tires reduce tire friction heat and tire wear and extends the life of the tire. [4]

In Massachusetts in the 1970s, it was legal to operate a school bus with bald tires, provided they were double microsiped.

Both Bridgestone and Michelin sell snow tires that are siped at the factory, while Saf-Tee Siping and Grooving sells machines that can sipe most standard vehicle tires. Siping can also be done by hand. Be aware that siping the tires can void the manufacturer's warranty.

Note: Claims that extended life is achieved by siping may only apply to certain environments, operating temperatures and rubber compound builds.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:15 PM   #7
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
I'm pretty sure the engineers at Pirelli know what they're doing. Don't mess with them.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:07 PM   #8
Gotthat02fire

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1ss IOM
I agree with ssooch I wouldn't want anyone cutting into my tires but whatever!!!!!

Gotthat02fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:39 PM   #9
LS2SLOW

Drives: 5th Gen
We did it when I worked at discount tire....I wouldn't do it to ANY of my tires...just my 2 cents though
LS2SLOW is offline   Reply With Quote