Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 06-01-2013, 01:53 PM   #1
iFly
Account Suspended

Drives: Higher
Should I Buy A Manual Transmition Camaro

I am planning on buy a 2010 Camaro 2SS. It is a manual. I have never driven one nor do I have any friends that I can try there manual car out. I have looked up many videos on youtube on how to drive it and did research so theoretically, I know how to drive a stick shift. Appearantly everyone says it is a lot more fun. I live in a town so no traffic at all and a lot of open roads. Also close to my house I can take the country roads with a lot of curves and dips and hills. No stop and go traffic at all. Do you guys think I should go for it and buy a manual. I think I will like it? But I can't really tell. Never heard of anyone say they bought a manual and don't like it. I would think in an automatic you have more control and it is safer (if you are always paying attention) since you have to do less work in case you need to react and have both hands on wheel. But I really think it will be a lot more fun than an automatic from what I have heard.
Attached Images

iFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
EastWood-SS
Born To Run

Drives: 2013 BRM SS/RS LS3
Get the manual, i was in the exact same position as you... the Camaro was my first manual and I decided to get it to do the whole Camaro thing right. Within 2 days you'll learn it.

I took 1 hour of manual driving @ the local driving school in preparation because I had no car to practice on like you, worked wonders.

Pretty much everyone drove manual back in the day, hell 16 year old girls can do it, so can you.

You can get an auto and enjoy it for a day... or get a manual and enjoy it for life.

2013 Blue Ray Metallic 1SS/RS
Dual Mode Exhaust + Fuse Pull / CAI inc. CAI/ 1LE Strut Tower Brace/ ACS T4 Splitter/ SunRoof/ BA Audio/ Performance Shifter/ White Rally Stripes

EastWood-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
LMC2013

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
I vote manual, some people prefer automatics but I couldn't live without the manual transmission. I have a lot of fun going through the gears.
LMC2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:10 PM   #4
Mersades
Web Geek Chick & NHRA fan

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 RJM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iFly View Post
I would think in an automatic you have more control and it is safer (if you are always paying attention) since you have to do less work in case you need to react and have both hands on wheel. But I really think it will be a lot more fun than an automatic from what I have heard.
I had to share my story on this topic.

I have driven a manual ever since I earned my license. Raven came into my life unexpectedly and I couldn't pass her up. She is an auto, and I was open minded to trying one since I had never owned an auto.

I honestly have found that I am MORE distracted with the auto because of the fact my hands are free. I am a "fidgeter" and this is probably why I have enjoyed driving manual so much. To be honest, I am hunting for a manual transmission to trade for and it is in part due to the fact I want more of my attention back on driving the car. Mostly I just miss it... There is so comparison to the interaction with the vehicle that a manual gives you.

That said! It does come down to personal preference, and there is so shame in going either route. You really won't know what you prefer until you spend time with both transmissions. I definitely think you should try it! You will at least know how to drive one afterwards, which is a skill that is becoming more and more rare.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #5
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
Do it. This was first manual car I've ever had. Driven friends manuals here and there, but very rarely so I basically learned on this car.

Took about 30 minutes... Now I don't even think about it. Just start in driveway finding release point of clutch consistently then venture out into neighborhood and then let her rip.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
CyberPunk223
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 LS Camaro
ehh, sometimes shifting gears gets old, take some classes or buy yourself a $1000 Junker car with a manual to learn & get used to it and then decide,

it would really suck to buy a car you can't even test drive..

A SS Camaro is about the worst car to learn in, too much power & heavy.
CyberPunk223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:23 PM   #7
BRAVO 2SS
Aim Small...Miss Small

Drives: 2018 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPunk223 View Post
ehh, sometimes shifting gears gets old, take some classes or buy yourself a junker car with a manual to learn & get used to it and then decide,

Don't Hate because you have an automatic V6!

OP...go for it. Get the manual...you will learn quick and enjoy the hell out of it.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #8
SteelCamaro

Drives: 2012 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPunk223 View Post
ehh, sometimes shifting gears gets old, take some classes or buy yourself a junker car with a manual to learn & get used to it and then decide,

I disagree. My 2SS 45th was the first ever manual car I drove, and the car I learned on, and it was/is a blast.

OP, get the manual, you will pick up on it quickly and won't regret it! Just approach it with some patience, don't get frustrated/discouraged, and you will be fine. Once you get the muscle memory ingrained in you, the worry about having to react quickly and not knowing what to do goes away, because it's all automatic. If you're really concerned, just try to avoid areas or situations that might put you in that spot. When I first started, one of the shorter routes back to my house involved a fairly steep hill. There was a flatter route, but it was also longer. I generally took that long way around most of the time until I got more comfortable. Do whatever you need to do, and good luck on your decision!
SteelCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #9
marticus24

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Yes, do it!! Mine is my first manual as well. I already 'knew' how from doing it once or twice over the last 10 years, but had never owned one and driven one regular. I can't imagine the car as an auto, honestly.
marticus24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #10
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersades View Post
I honestly have found that I am MORE distracted with the auto because of the fact my hands are free. I am a "fidgeter" and this is probably why I have enjoyed driving manual so much.
Sorry, but that's just weird. I would say you are easily distracted regardless of what kind of transmission you might have. When you drive a 4,000 pound car with significant power (even the V6) you need to have your attention on everything going on around you... in front, behind, to both sides, gauges, feel of the ride, etc. There is plenty going on while driving properly (and safely) to keep your "fidgeting" in check.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #11
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by iFly View Post
I am planning on buy a 2010 Camaro 2SS. It is a manual. I have never driven one nor do I have any friends that I can try there manual car out. I have looked up many videos on youtube on how to drive it and did research so theoretically, I know how to drive a stick shift. Appearantly everyone says it is a lot more fun. I live in a town so no traffic at all and a lot of open roads. Also close to my house I can take the country roads with a lot of curves and dips and hills. No stop and go traffic at all. Do you guys think I should go for it and buy a manual. I think I will like it? But I can't really tell. Never heard of anyone say they bought a manual and don't like it. I would think in an automatic you have more control and it is safer (if you are always paying attention) since you have to do less work in case you need to react and have both hands on wheel. But I really think it will be a lot more fun than an automatic from what I have heard.
Either will be fun to drive. The roads you describe may be more fun to drive on with a manual but, you really need to know how to drive one before you make a major investment in a powerful sports car. Find someone who will let you drive their stick before making a decision.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:48 PM   #12
jravenfan

Drives: 2013 2SS Blue Ray Metallic
I wouldn't want someone learning on my brand new car so I'm not so sure buying something you don't know how to drive is a great choice. Manuals can be more fun but learn to drive one before you buy.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:34 PM   #13
Dupree878

Drives: '13 Dusk Edition 2SS/RS M6
My ex bought a mustang without knowing how to drive it. I had to pick it up, and after an hour in a deserted parking lot, she drove it home.
As long as you have a friend to get it somewhere safe, you'll be fine.

I had to special order mine with a manual because apparently everyone around here wants an auto
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2013, 03:44 PM   #14
13FastBlkSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
I too like some other members learned to drive a manual transmission on my 2SS, I wouldn't change anything.. I love my M6, despite me living in California with traffic, I have never gotten "tired of shifting" and I never will.. It comes down to personal preference in the end..

2013 Black / Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6 w/Magnuson TVS2300, ZL1 Fuelpump / ADM FPCM, NPP Exhaust, Cold Air Inductions CAI w/ Scoop, Elite Engineering Catch Can, VMAX Ported TB, OEM 1LE Front Splitter, AAC Ghosted Side Markers, Dropped on BMR Split Drop Springs
Build#24869
13FastBlkSS is offline   Reply With Quote