Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-30-2013, 02:33 PM   #29
RiCorvette

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 3LT
What's a ZL1 owner's favorite wine? (whine)

His Supercharger!

(works better as a verbal joke...)
RiCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:24 AM   #30
Trentin24
Trentin24

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnitusCamaro View Post
BEST ANSWER to any thread question ever! HAHAHAHAH
Glad someone liked it
Trentin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:02 AM   #31
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Great thread!

Posted from Camaro5.com App for Android
Old 08-31-2013, 08:10 AM   #32
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
..it's telling you it's working.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:23 AM   #33
Hercules

Drives: 13 ZL1 1091, 04 Ram 2500, 12 CX9
I for one will say that when I hear that whine it is just telling me power is on the way and nobody should mess with me. And to hit it even harder so it's louder. My Dodge Ram is turbo and for the same reason I love to hear that. Not all cars/trucks have that kind of sound coming from under the hood.
1) Number one reason for purchasing the CAI was the whine. I want to hear it myself and let others know its coming.
2) Second is the cosmetic appearance that my Roto-Fab gives under the hood.
3) Third and least is actually why most people are getting it. The power gain without a tune being required. I am more than pleased with the power from the factory. But it is a nice extra.

But like you said you love the sound of the exhaust, I love the sound of both. I didn't really appreciate the sound of the SC until I put the CAI on. It seemed to bring it to life.

I went with the Roto-Fab because of it being an open box. I figured, which I may be wrong, that the closed box of Cold Air's CAI would muffle the sound. The power gains were close but like I said it was lowest on my priority list
Hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:59 AM   #34
jbotta

Drives: Camaro ZL1

In this vid when you get to 4000 rpm the whine comes alive letting you know your making power, Also in vid I like the sound of the air flow getting sucked into the filter, CLICK FULL SCREEN AND HD FOR A BETTER LOOK AT THE TACK, ( Hope vid turns out, Had a problem loading, If not sorry guys ) Had mic inside rotofab air box
jbotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:30 PM   #35
RexZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I'm no mechanic, but the fact you can hear it more mens some noise is coming out of somewhere. the only thing you've done is add a CAI, so it must be opening up a bigger hole to the supercharger. That means more air is getting into your SC, unrestricted, and that's what motors like...gas...and air.
RexZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:24 PM   #36
IndyZL1

Drives: '13 AGM ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules View Post
I went with the Roto-Fab because of it being an open box. I figured, which I may be wrong, that the closed box of Cold Air's CAI would muffle the sound. The power gains were close but like I said it was lowest on my priority list
Has anyone out there heard both the Roto-Fab and the Cold Air Inductions CAI's on ZL1's? I love the idea of a few extra ponies, and the look of both CAI's, but I'm not sure that I want the "full whine" of the Roto-Fab... And I've had loud cars, just more of a fan of exhaust rumble vs SC whine. I don't need the loudest car on the block, I just want a little extra power, and lets be honest, it's just fun to do mods! So, does the Cold Air Inductions CAI have more of a stock sound or does it "whine" like the Roto-Fab?

EDIT:OK, just realized these things aren't even shipping yet... Ooops. Maybe someone that was at the Fest was able to see/hear it?
Old 08-31-2013, 02:53 PM   #37
UBNZO6D

Drives: ZL1
You should hear it with 730+...It is orgasmic and unbelievably sweet sounding on the throttle...But so quiet @ cruising speed...Quite the sleeper until you're in it.

Greg
2015 SS
UBNZO6D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:27 AM   #38
ayousef

did someone say warrantee?

1150bhp Whipple 4.0 Supercharged 427ci Camaro ZL1
ayousef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:30 AM   #39
ayousef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexZL1 View Post
I'm no mechanic, but the fact you can hear it more mens some noise is coming out of somewhere. the only thing you've done is add a CAI, so it must be opening up a bigger hole to the supercharger. That means more air is getting into your SC, unrestricted, and that's what motors like...gas...and air.
there are resonators in the factory airbox that cancel out the whine.

1150bhp Whipple 4.0 Supercharged 427ci Camaro ZL1
ayousef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:47 AM   #40
ffcars

Drives: 2013 Zl1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyZL1 View Post
Has anyone out there heard both the Roto-Fab and the Cold Air Inductions CAI's on ZL1's? I love the idea of a few extra ponies, and the look of both CAI's, but I'm not sure that I want the "full whine" of the Roto-Fab... And I've had loud cars, just more of a fan of exhaust rumble vs SC whine. I don't need the loudest car on the block, I just want a little extra power, and lets be honest, it's just fun to do mods! So, does the Cold Air Inductions CAI have more of a stock sound or does it "whine" like the Roto-Fab?
I'm with you. I love the sound of the ZL1 exhaust. I don't want to hear a turbo or supercharger whine. I understand why most of you want to hear it, but I just don't like it.

I don't need a whining noise to "warn" people because I don't race on the street, plus there are so many other cars that are much faster than the ZL1. I have 4 other cars that will dust my ZL1. 2 of them have factory superchargers and I don't hear any "whine" from them. One has over 750 HP and you can't hear the whine over the exhaust (both supercharged cars are 5.4L S/C Fords).

I would like a CAI because of the extra performance and looks. But not at the cost of hearing the supercharger whine more. There is already enough IMO.
ffcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:42 AM   #41
TRC-SS
700RWHP-650TQ

Drives: 2011 Forged LS3 Supercharged/Cammed
Love the Whine......Six to midnight everytime i romp on it!!!!

My Car.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #42
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffcars View Post
I'm with you. I love the sound of the ZL1 exhaust. I don't want to hear a turbo or supercharger whine. I understand why most of you want to hear it, but I just don't like it.

I don't need a whining noise to "warn" people because I don't race on the street, plus there are so many other cars that are much faster than the ZL1. I have 4 other cars that will dust my ZL1. 2 of them have factory superchargers and I don't hear any "whine" from them. One has over 750 HP and you can't hear the whine over the exhaust (both supercharged cars are 5.4L S/C Fords).

I would like a CAI because of the extra performance and looks. But not at the cost of hearing the supercharger whine more. There is already enough IMO.

I am biased towards "blower whine" as I grew up in the sixties attending drag races here in So Cal at all of the cool tracks like Lions, Irwindale, and of course OCIR. To own a "blower" back then you had to have lots of money. Today they come standard on some model cars. I think maybe a few of you have never heard your own car being driven up or down the street at WOT? The exhaust is heard very well thank you very much. The whine just announces the arrival of the car and the exhaust says goodbye as it speeds past you! I understand the opposition to hearing it, some people just don't like the sound. Possibly childhood trauma from sitting in the Dentist's chair with a drill perhaps?
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote