Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-13-2016, 10:22 AM   #15
Gen_Nick3.8

Drives: 22 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Here is my biggest issue with the bluetooth audio. Sometimes I want to listen to satellite radio or regular radio, however I always have waze running on my phone. Now the way in works in the cadillac is when waze has something to say it lowers the radio volume, says what it has to, then raises radio again. However in the damn camaro it switches me from radio to bluetooth, says what it has to, and then leaves me in bluetooth! This is probably the thing that pisses me off the most about the whole car!
I'm having the same issue in the 5th Gen 1LE its not your Mylink it's the latest iOS 9.3 that broke it. A lot of people are having issues . Its very annoying
Gen_Nick3.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:11 PM   #16
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBillyJack View Post
I haven't had a problem, the IO6 system in my 2SS works great with Bluetooth and my iPhone 6. Apple CarPlay works great for streaming music. I was just stating that it's Gimmicky. The siri features (voice to text) and the nav part I could care less about. It's neat but IMO I think Android Auto is better.
Well, the great thing about offloading the software from the car's center screen to the iPhone is that CarPlay will be updated regularly in future releases of iOS. Maybe Apple will radically improve the experience over time. I haven't personally tested either this or Android Auto, but Android's solution seems a lot nicer. Apple took a really spartan approach to avoid distractions, but I think they went too far and it looks ugly.

Plus, it's no secret that Siri sucks incredibly badly as a service even 5 years after it came out, failing miserably unless you speak loudly and slowly with a very specific structure to your request. Not very natural at all. Pretty much the only thing I use it for is to set an alarm on my clock, since that's a straightforward request. With road noise, it's probably borderline unusable.
RenegadeXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:26 PM   #17
stars_fan
Nerd

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post
In my experience with my 5th gen, bluetooth audio sounds really crappy with my iPhone 5S. The high and low frequencies are very muffled making it sound pretty flat. Not sure if this is still a problem with the 6th gen.
That's exactly what's happening. To keep the bandwidth low they chop the high & low frequencies. Cell phones do the exact same things for their calls over cell networks.

Bluetooth audio will never sound good due to the the way it works.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:56 PM   #18
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
bluetooth audio is re-compressed in a new codec when you're playing audio. There are a number your device can use and so BT audio quality will vary greatly depending on what device you're playing from and what is actually receiving it.

It's surprisingly decent if you have a flagship cell phone made in the last year or two on the Bose setup in the Camaro. But like anytime you compress something in a lossy codec, decompress and compress again in another lossy codec, and decompress - you're going to get increasingly worse audio out to the speaker.

carplay/android auto will be sent the digital audio from the phone so skips the extra encoding step. However, if you're streaming your audio online and it's not a downloaded song living on your phone - you're getting a recompressed copy of what was originally uploaded. So little better than bluetooth in that situation.

The best setup would be flash drive or having the music on your phone accessed via mtp or mass storage mode. But that's not always convenient, especially if you're using carplay/aa for navigation. Though there's really no point in really knitpicking audio in a noisy environment like a car. For most people the bluetooth will be good enough.

Wireless carplay/aa would only ever use bluetooth if the spec requires it for mic input audio profile (like it does now). Otherwise you're looking at p2p wifi connection.

Honestly though, the only way wireless only would be viable is if they completely change how carplay/aa works because it would destroy all current devices batteries in a matter of an hour or so. I get the feeling it's such a low priority for both companies to implement because they're waiting for tech to catch up to minimize the negative feedback that will inevitably come when everyone's phone dies halfway through a car trip on wireless carplay.

So I wouldn't hold your breath on wireless only mode being available next year and if it is by some surprise chance, it'll only be usable for short spurts and most will still end up plugging in until something changes in battery tech.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:09 PM   #19
samsumon

Drives: 4 wheels
CarPlay us such trash. Unless you barely use it, the thing just sucks.. Apple dropped the ball on that as well.
samsumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:44 PM   #20
lDejavul

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBillyJack View Post
Apple Carplay and Android Auto are both gimmicky features that work haphazardly at best. I just use the Bluetooth feature and leave it at that.

Also, FYI there is such thing as Wireless CarPlay. In fact check your phone. Settings>General>CarPlay
I completely disagree. I don't use carplay but Android Auto works really well IMHO. I really like the ability to select which audio app I want to play from as well as google maps and just the home screen in general. I rarely use the mylink home screen anymore.
Dual Mode Exhaust
MRC
Splash Guards

1G1FG1R74G0124089
lDejavul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:02 PM   #21
RenegadeXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
Wireless carplay/aa would only ever use bluetooth if the spec requires it for mic input audio profile (like it does now). Otherwise you're looking at p2p wifi connection.
I think it's going to use 802.11 basically like P2P Apple AirPlay. Bluetooth 3.0 and later can be used to do the initial negotiation to get P2P 802.11 running between two devices for the actual data transmission. They already do this with the AppleTV and iPhone. You don't need to connect both to an existing WiFi network.

I don't know enough about Wireless Apple CarPlay to say how it works. I don't know if it renders its own UI locally and then constantly beams this to the car's receiver at a fixed or variable framerate kind of like a video feed going to a remote display, or if it just sends raw data that's then handled by some GPU on the car's receiver for the actual rendering. I think the latter approach would save a lot of battery, making it not much more taxing than streaming just audio. It's sort of like what you mentioned about the merits of sending data in raw form from an audio file versus encoding and decoding multiple times.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:25 PM   #22
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post
I think it's going to use 802.11 basically like P2P Apple AirPlay. Bluetooth 3.0 and later can be used to do the initial negotiation to get P2P 802.11 running between two devices for the actual data transmission. They already do this with the AppleTV and iPhone. You don't need to connect both to an existing WiFi network.

I don't know enough about Wireless Apple CarPlay to say how it works. I don't know if it renders its own UI locally and then constantly beams this to the car's receiver at a fixed or variable framerate kind of like a video feed going to a remote display, or if it just sends raw data that's then handled by some GPU on the car's receiver for the actual rendering. I think the latter approach would save a lot of battery, making it not much more taxing than streaming just audio. It's sort of like what you mentioned about the merits of sending data in raw form from an audio file versus encoding and decoding multiple times.
I think they will use AirPlay too. Which also will probably ensure that new hardware is needed for it to work. AirPlay essentially "streams" a compressed video/audio output using their proprietary protocol. That means it will have to be licensed and not use any existing open source standards. So battery draw will definitely be an issue. There's been no word on wireless AA, but that's going to be the best bet for "backwards compatibility" but even that is a long shot.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:54 PM   #23
RenegadeXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
I think they will use AirPlay too. Which also will probably ensure that new hardware is needed for it to work. AirPlay essentially "streams" a compressed video/audio output using their proprietary protocol. That means it will have to be licensed and not use any existing open source standards. So battery draw will definitely be an issue. There's been no word on wireless AA, but that's going to be the best bet for "backwards compatibility" but even that is a long shot.
That's what I'm wondering. There's already something called AirPlay Mirroring when the iPhone does as you said — it renders the UI on its own screen, records it in realtime, and basically sends it as a video stream. It'll kill your battery in no time. I really hope Wireless CarPlay doesn't use such a simple approach. But then again, if it does, it offloads work from the car's receiver and means the receiver will therefore be backward compatible with newer versions of iPhone and iOS for a very long time. I still rather have the car do all the GPU processing grunt work to save battery. But that's a complicated approach. It's almost like asking them to invent a wireless external graphics card. In 10-20 years, wireless technology will be doing what a lot of wired things are going now as bandwidth gets better, including truly wireless monitors for computers, but that's going off on a tangent.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:57 PM   #24
dreamingat30fps

Drives: 2016 2SS
If battery is an issue I would still rather have wireless carplay and put the phone on the charging pad rather than having to plug it in each time.
dreamingat30fps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:44 PM   #25
DDustiNN

Drives: Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
No OEM is supporting wireless CarPlay at this time. Apple just added the software portion to iOS recently but has not revealed the hardware it will use.

MY17 orders opened on 4/26 I believe. Several members here have already placed orders including me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev View Post
2016 order window closed on 4/26/16
Ah okay, didn't know about the cut-off date. Well then I guess that's that! Might as well go ahead and order.

Any idea when 2017 orders will start rolling in?

Also, is there any news on changes/updates from the 2016 to 2017 model? Hopefully not just a price increase
DDustiNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:47 PM   #26
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDustiNN View Post
Ah okay, didn't know about the cut-off date. Well then I guess that's that! Might as well go ahead and order.

Any idea when 2017 orders will start rolling in?

Also, is there any news on changes/updates from the 2016 to 2017 model? Hopefully not just a price increase
My guess, mid-late July at the earliest.

Teen driver mode, fifty badge on the wheel and new color Arctic Blue(?) as far as I know.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote