Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 08-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
maxxer442

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS M6
Launch control failure(axle)

So my 2010 SS M6 has around 10,000 easy miles on it-all from me. No racing, just run it thru the gears once in a while, no hard launches. I have tried the launch control like twice when I first bought it way back in 09. Didn't like it, its too violent. I had a buddy with me the other night, and he wanted to see how it worked. So I put it in the mode, it worked like it was supposed to, until I dumped the clutch and broke the right side half-shaft. What the heck! Is this a fluke? Do I have to worry about ever using that again? The car is bone stock with catback and a hurst short-throw. It was covered under warranty with no questions asked-but is this common?
maxxer442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #2
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
I've read of a few occurences. The general concensus I see is, use the factory launch control, and break stuff. I've used it twice and experienced violent wheel hop both times, I don't think I will ever use it again. Glad you got it covered under warranty!
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:04 AM   #3
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Forget that feature is there and never use it.

Too many variables to not avoid busting something. Road grip, tire pressure, temp, clutch grip, alignment.... get the right combo that causes wheel hop and parts will break.

Lucky it was just the axle and not the driveshaft that can destroy the exhaust and belly pan of the car.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
^ Ditto.

LC on the SS is just a nice little toy that you'll roll the dice on every time.. It's ultimately useless and a decent driver will outrun it every time.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #5
Driveshaftshop

Drives: own more cars than i can list
one of the issues is the rear axles are made from a carbon material and will have a wide range of results as far as breakage. Retained Austenite in the material is the culprate (along with wheel hop) this is why the failures are not as consistent as most would like to see. some of the axles will last for some time and with allot of abuse and others will fail quickly. this is why the aftermarket will use Chromoly materials that are a cleaner bland to start with so there is much less or no Retained Austenite.

How Does Retained Austenite Affect Performance?
Hardening of steels requires heating to an austenitic phase and quenching to room temperature to produce a hard martensitic phase. Due to incomplete transformation some austenite is retained at room temperature. Retained austenite can have a detrimental affect on the mechanical properties of the steel. Properties such as fatigue strength, toughness, hardness, yield strength and machinability can be influenced by retained austenite
Driveshaftshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #6
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Are our axles yet another high quality item made in China?

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #7
Driveshaftshop

Drives: own more cars than i can list
no, but in the beginning CV axles were made from a much higher grade of material. as time went on they were able to understand the way there made and what it can take. on a scale from 1-10 if an axle needed to handle say a #5 it would be made to #9 now the axles that need to handle #5 are designed for just over it like a #5.5 its not that there made bad, there just being made to do what it was intended for, no more.
Driveshaftshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #8
Kiernans88
TRI-COUNTY CAMARO TAMPA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS IBM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driveshaftshop View Post
one of the issues is the rear axles are made from a carbon material and will have a wide range of results as far as breakage. Retained Austenite in the material is the culprate (along with wheel hop) this is why the failures are not as consistent as most would like to see. some of the axles will last for some time and with allot of abuse and others will fail quickly. this is why the aftermarket will use Chromoly materials that are a cleaner bland to start with so there is much less or no Retained Austenite.

How Does Retained Austenite Affect Performance?
Hardening of steels requires heating to an austenitic phase and quenching to room temperature to produce a hard martensitic phase. Due to incomplete transformation some austenite is retained at room temperature. Retained austenite can have a detrimental affect on the mechanical properties of the steel. Properties such as fatigue strength, toughness, hardness, yield strength and machinability can be influenced by retained austenite
+1

This put a smile on my face. Iron/carbon phase diagrams oddly excite me!

FSP Custom Grind Comp Cam - K&N CAI - 1 3/4" BBK Full Length Headers - BBK High Flow Cats - Kooks 3" Street Screamer Catback - VMax TB - Barton Short Throw - BMR Suspension/Bushings - Eibach Pro-Kit Springs -Tuned by Florida Speed and Power (FSP)
Kiernans88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:37 PM   #9
GFORCE1320

Drives: 05 GTO
It all boils down to the cheaper the steel, the more inconsistent results you get.
There are lots of different steel one could use for drivetrain parts.
We have tested just about every material there is that is suitable for making drivetrain parts from and we also do material analysis on OEM parts to see what they are made of and why they fail.
You would be surprised at what kind of mixtures steels and low grades the OEM's use. Some of the materials the OEM’s use are not even on the engineering standards charts..

As far as aftermarket axles, we don’t use chromoly steel, it's a 41xx series steel from the Chromium-Molybdenum family hence the commonly used name Chro-moly.
We've never had much luck with it and the tensile strength isn’t as high as say 4340 or 300m.
4340 is from the Nickel-Chromium family of 43xx steels and is not chromoly, 300m is a modified version of 4340. 300m is not a chromoly either. Totally different material.
To get drivetrain parts to live under extreme conditions, the material has to be able to survive high impact loads, be able to twist without breaking and spring back to it’s original state.

The automotive OEM's could produce some really great drivetrain parts if they wanted to but when they are cranking out cars by the 100,000's of thousands, spending an extra $100. on materials would really add up.
So they only design parts to live up to normal driving and warranty anything that breaks.

I love experimenting with different materials, seeing how they come out as far as tensile strength tests and also how they machine in our cnc machines.
Sorry if I rambled on but this stuff is what I love to do
GFORCE1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 03:47 AM   #10
2012-2SS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Since when do our camaros have launch control?

2012-2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:53 AM   #11
Higgs Boson
Perpetual Order

Drives: indeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-2SS View Post
http://www.camaro5.com/launch-control-demo-information
Higgs Boson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #12
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-2SS View Post
March 16, 2009. Fleet test cars before that.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #13
carbon8

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS,2008 Hayabusa
Can anyone show pics of where the axels break at.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
carbon8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #14
Higgs Boson
Perpetual Order

Drives: indeed
they usually twist off one of the ends.
Higgs Boson is offline   Reply With Quote