Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-16-2009, 06:33 PM   #1
shiftz33

Drives: 17 SS Sedan, 04 SSR
Cloth Seat Back Rattle with fix

I have a 2010 SIM 1SS Camaro.

The roads near where I live should be a required "proving ground" for all car manufacturers. There is a section of road about 1/2 mile from my house that was provoking the driver/passenger front bucket seat backs to produce a rattle/clanking noise.

I located the noise this morning (finally) and it's related to the zippers used to secure/close the upper seat back covers. There are two zippers used to close the back of the cloth seat cover and the excess is tucked under the seat cover. The metal zipper was tapping on the metal frame thus causing the rattle noise I've been hearing over the past couple of weeks.

I've included some pictures to show what I'm talking about.

I used the soft loop side of some velcro to pad the zipper and a portion of the seat frame to prevent the noise from occurring again.

The fabric is secured to the bottom edge of the seat by a plastic retaining clip so you need to down and toward the middle of the seat to release the clip so the zipper can be reached for under the fabric.

Pic 1) Passenger seat back
Pic 2) Rightmost zipper extracted from under the fabric
Pic 3) Leftmost seat frame exposed after unzipping the zipper (see padding added)
Pic 4) Rightmost seat frame exposed after unzipping the zipper (see padding added)
Pic 5) One of the two zippers covered with velcro (soft side) for padding

To reassemble the seat cover you need to rezip the zippers, tuck the zippers back under the seat fabric and lastly reconnect the clip at the base of the fabric with the corresponding side of that same clip on the seat frame and make sure any fabric still outside of the plastic corner cover is tucked back under the cover.

I hope that helps someone else that might be hearing this noise...

Robert
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2009, 09:54 AM   #2
trudawg660

Drives: 2006 Dodge Charger / 2SS IOM
i have had some annoying shaking of the panels of the doors and in the back seats, but my seats are leather. its produced by the bass from the music (even though the bass is on zero). i think am going to take it to the dealership and if they cant make it any better i guess i will have to dynomat the doors and trunk where the speakers are.
trudawg660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:55 PM   #3
shiftz33

I found one more noise source today.

It's located behind the side panel where the front seat belt runs down along the "B" pillar. There's a metal clip that the seat belt goes through about mid way down. The metal clip rattles like crazy. I placed some foam padding between it and the "B" pillar and no more noise.

The seat noise was only about 20 percent of what I was hearing during my daily drive. The seat belt clip noise was the most of it.

What fun....

This picture shows the bracket in question.
Attached Images

Last edited by shiftz33; 06-18-2009 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Added picture
shiftz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:42 PM   #4
MikeZ28

Drives: '04 GTO, '00 Z28, '95 Z28
Come on GM, the Camaro has a rep for rattles & squeaks so you gotta work twice as hard to quash these things...
MikeZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:00 PM   #5
LyssaRaen

Drives: 2010 SS/RS SIM W/ CGM Stripes
Thanks for the info! I've got a rattle coming from the passenger side of the car that is driving me nutz. Of course, when someone is sitting that seat, and can try to determine where its coming from, the rattle goes away. I'll have to see if either of these could be the issue.
LyssaRaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:20 PM   #6
shiftz33

I added a picture to post #3 showing the bracket behind the side panel cover near the B pillar that was making noise.