Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-27-2009, 12:08 PM   #85
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by syc View Post
Yes and no. The engine builder started with a bare ZO-6 block, then built and blueprinted it using the best internals. According to him, the motor is basically bullit proof, capable of handling a supercharger, turbo, nitrous, what ever we might want to throw at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickey Chicago View Post
No! The only thing left mostly as GM built it are the Intake and the block.

Almost every other component is custom and has been upgraded!

It makes a bunch more HP and TQ than a ZO6 Crate motor and like Tom mentioned we can up the power level in many ways without issue!
Ok. It's just that I seem to be confused. I'm not doubting the upgrades/customizing. But, doesn't a stock LS7 make about 420-450rwhp? I know it is about 505-515 at the crank. I'm assuming you are using forged internals?
I know Nickey Camaro and Yenko take their cars very seriously and are true to their word. Thank you for clearing this up.
tones2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:20 PM   #86
NicKey

Drives: Nickey Super Camaro
You have to remember that this is; 1) Not a Corvette 2) that it is an automatic Camaro 3) the dyno is just a tool.

The ZO6 427 is rated at 505hp and 470tq This engine on an engine dyno which is used for NASCAR spec engines and with normal timing made over 550hp and 565tq.

We tuned this engine on a Mustang Dyno which we have found reads approx 5-7% lower than when we use the Dyno-Jet.

Yes, we used forged internals.

Last edited by NicKey; 11-27-2009 at 12:48 PM.
NicKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 01:04 PM   #87
syc

Drives: 1969 Yenko Camaro 2010 Yenko Camaro
Our engine builder, Wegner Motorsports, built a similar engine that produced over 700HP, the only difference being a bigger cam, some head work and FAST intake. Though 700 HP is kind of cool.. presents problems. Our car is a auto, so we had to take in consideration what the torque convertor and trans could handle, Though both are modified, there is no real data available for this setup. This car is kind of a test mule. We were glad to see the torque numbers, as the new Camaro is very heavy.

Often times, in an effort to impress the buying public, builders throw a lot of HP/TQ at a car, and rather then spend the time and money to do the R&D, then fix things as they break. We felt better to go the other way, start conservative, play with the tune, and as we see what works, and what the car can handle, go from there. We wanted a car we could enjoy on the street /strip, not in the shop.

When you buy most other tuner cars, you have little or no choice in the build of the car, it is what they want it to be. On the other hand, one of the neat things about having Nickey Chicago build your car is you decide what they build.

Last edited by syc; 11-27-2009 at 01:23 PM.
syc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:39 AM   #88
Granatelli
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS Victory Red
I think a valid point that could (should) be added is that a stock auto trans 2010 with a head, cam and headers change easily puts down 430 to 450 at the tire on a mUstanf dyno with a conservative tune. No need to go to a 427. You even keep the DOD option. If you are will to get rid the DOD (which I hate) then you can get a bit more agressive with the cam (still super street friendly) and make 465hp and 440 ft/lbs all day.

Again everyone has an opinion. If you want an engine that has the best of everything internally and 427ci then great. but if you only want 450hp .....
Granatelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:40 AM   #89
NicKey

Our Stage II Naturally Aspirated 6.2, with our head & cam kit, fast intake & fuel rails, CAI, headers and exhaust system puts down over 450hp to the rear wheels, while the 6 speed Stage II manual is over 500hp.

Point is, that just like the 'back in the day' we can build them to suit the customers needs and wants.

Without question, Tom's 2010 Yenko needed a real 427ci. 427 are nostalgic and very cool IMO.

We also built other 427ci Automatics which make more than 500hp to the rear wheels like the one below. We have also built 427s with power adders which have put out 1200hp to the rear wheels, while FLP has a daily driven shop car with an LT1 350ci based engine which puts out 1,000hp to the wheels.
Attached Images

Last edited by NicKey; 11-28-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:24 PM   #90
Granatelli
Account Suspended

OK - Sounds like a numbers game to me. I agree if you want a 427 and power output is not important then more power to you. Do these motors have so much blow-by that they require a vented oil fill cap?
Old 11-28-2009, 03:19 PM   #91
tones2SS

Thumbs up

I have heard of Wegner Motorsports and I am familiar with the 4th gen that made over 1000k horses. Actually, they have built an engine for someone that is on another site that I belong to. They built a carbureted L92 Wegner Motorsports engine for his '69 pro-touring Camaro.

Quote:
I do not have the exact numbers handy, but in the 450 range, both HP and torque.
This is the reason I am asking questions about the engine. I was sort of thrown off by the horsepower amount. I understand now. THANK YOU!!!
Old 11-29-2009, 11:23 AM   #92
syc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granatelli View Post
OK - Sounds like a numbers game to me. I agree if you want a 427 and power output is not important then more power to you. Do these motors have so much blow-by that they require a vented oil fill cap?
No numbers game being played here. Unlike some who just throw numbers around, like 700HP, 1000HP, 1800HP, 700RWH, I posted real numbers. I could have lied, who would have known, but why? I am not ashamed of my numbers, Wegners built what I wanted, a 427 with modest (user friendly) HP and TQ numbers. I did not need another collector or race car, I have those. This one is a driver.

But, since you are into numbers, here are a few to ponder. At the annual Supercar Reunion Labor Day, there were a half dozen or so Nickey built 2010 Camaros at the track, including 427NA, turbo, supercharged, turbocharged, Procharger and stock with a mild tune. And not only did they race, they were driven to and from the track, some driven the 200 mile trip from Chicago to Collinsville.

At the recent MCACN show, there were 8-10 Nickey equipped 2010 Camaros there, from 6 cylinder to twin turbo, Procherger, 427NA, the Pedders track car, etc. Most driven from the shop to the show.

While a few tuners are working on their prototypes, others just blowing about the "numbers" their soon to be released Camaro will have, Nickey is busy building some really neat, user friendly cars, from mild to wild, that the masses can afford and enjoy, and enjoy today.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:24 AM   #93
syc

[QUOTE

This is the reason I am asking questions about the engine. I was sort of thrown off by the horsepower amount. I understand now. THANK YOU!!![/QUOTE]

No problem, any more questions, just ask.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:57 PM   #94
tones2SS

Thumbs up

Quote:
No numbers game being played here. Unlike some who just throw numbers around, like 700HP, 1000HP, 1800HP, 700RWH, I posted real numbers. I could have lied, who would have known, but why? I am not ashamed of my numbers, Wegners built what I wanted, a 427 with modest (user friendly) HP and TQ numbers. I did not need another collector or race car, I have those. This one is a driver.

But, since you are into numbers, here are a few to ponder. At the annual Supercar Reunion Labor Day, there were a half dozen or so Nickey built 2010 Camaros at the track, including 427NA, turbo, supercharged, turbocharged, Procharger and stock with a mild tune. And not only did they race, they were driven to and from the track, some driven the 200 mile trip from Chicago to Collinsville.

At the recent MCACN show, there were 8-10 Nickey equipped 2010 Camaros there, from 6 cylinder to twin turbo, Procherger, 427NA, the Pedders track car, etc. Most driven from the shop to the show.

While a few tuners are working on their prototypes, others just blowing about the "numbers" their soon to be released Camaro will have, Nickey is busy building some really neat, user friendly cars, from mild to wild, that the masses can afford and enjoy, and enjoy today.
Quote:
[QUOTE

I agree with you on the Wegner Motosports. Great stuff.

This is the reason I am asking questions about the engine. I was sort of thrown off by the horsepower amount. I understand now. THANK YOU!!!

No problem, any more questions, just ask.[/QUOTE]

Thank you!!
Old 12-03-2009, 12:52 PM   #95
NicKey

There is more than one way to make usable Horsepower.

Engine Dyno Results for the Nickey Stage II Natually aspirated Option.

603 hp @ 6400 RPM
534 HP @ 5300 RPM

http://www.youtube.com/user/WegnerMotorsports
Old 12-03-2009, 05:04 PM   #96
Granatelli
Account Suspended

Quote:

I did not call or insinuate anyone was playing a game - the reference to numbers game reers to a 427ci engine make 500hp when the same can be achieved with heads and a cam - then they other guy said well i wanted a 427 because it is a 427 like the '69 car.

no harm meant
Old 12-03-2009, 05:38 PM   #97
tones2SS

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickey Chicago View Post
There is more than one way to make usable Horsepower.

Engine Dyno Results for the Nickey Stage II Natually aspirated Option.

603 hp @ 6400 RPM
534 HP @ 5300 RPM

http://www.youtube.com/user/WegnerMotorsports
Nice numbers Stefano. Wegner make some great engines!!
Old 12-03-2009, 05:42 PM   #98
NicKey

Quote:
I did not call or insinuate anyone was playing a game - the reference to numbers game reers to a 427ci engine make 500hp when the same can be achieved with heads and a cam - then they other guy said well i wanted a 427 because it is a 427 like the '69 car.

no harm meant

Quote:
OK - Sounds like a numbers game to me.
Ok!