Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 04-24-2012, 05:34 AM   #1
dakota74

Drives: 2014 Summit White; 2SS/RS
Vert top rub marks

Hey all,

Just thought I would share my log of the issue with my own convertible top.

I took it to the dealer here in NJ (Pine Belt in Eatontown) and ended up having the shop manager as my service advisor.

I have been buying GMs for about 20 years now, and I don't hold on to my cars for years and years.....I've had (after racking my brain) a (current car) H3, a Grand Prix GXP (loved that one), a LeMans, 2 Grand Ams, a GMC Jimmy, a Chevy Silverado 3500 dualie, 4 Saturns, a Chevy Malibu, a Chevy Impala, and lastly a Buick Century (used car). So to say I've frequented my fair share of service departments over time is an understatement. I am impressed with how GM has evolved their owner's service experience over time -- I recall when you just spoke to the cashier person and you never even saw a mechanic - at all.

I like how it is now; at least from the guys I have been in contact with over the last I'd say almost 10 years, you speak to a person who more often than not knows what they are talking about (at least much better than the person from years past).

So anyway, the service manager I am now dealing with looked at my car about a month ago (I bought it in december) and acknowledged that there was indeed an issue (and this was before I really started to check out the forums on this problem and saw that it was a widespread issue) and told me that they ground down a few (two I believe) posts so that it wouldn't rub anymore. He told me to drive it for a few weeks, top up/down and whatnot, and see if the rubs get worse. If not, bring it back in and they'll do the work around which involved soap and water and brushing.

He also said that if that didn't work, a replacement roof would be in order. He made mention numerous times about how my satisfaction was paramount and told me "don't worry, we're going to make it right".

I have to say I believe him. So far, they've given me no cause to think otherwise. Yesterday I called them up and again spoke to him at 8am, and he told me no problem, bring it in and they will begin the process of the work around -- also he mentioned to me that there was the posted recall (technically not a recall but that's what they call it) which I already had read here on the boards and that he is going to work on it.

They also are going to replace the front brake pads gratis because they are squealing for no apparent reason they can find. Yeah people can say "well they better...."; I didn't ask for them to replace the pads -- he offered as a "good customer relation courtesy" and I thought that was nice -- again, having been to many service departments over the years, this was a very welcome gesture and verbally unsolicited by me.

I should point out that I had been, as have many of you been, in the market for this car for about two years; saving some here and there, and over the course of two years I had been "interviewing" dealerships. Walking in and asking questions about the car, seeing how many salespeople were not the nicest, etc. I also had been checking out service departments and seeing how polite and whatnot they were. This place came highly recommended and that's why I chose them. They are about 20 minutes from my house and a pain to get to, but I forgo that for good customer service. To me that's the most important.

So, I dropped off the car last night, took 11 pictures of the spots on the roof (just in case things get hairy) and will wait and see......

Wish me luck!

I'll keep the updates coming -- and a special thanks to all the guys who have documented their issues with this problem. This forum is awesome.

Ross
dakota74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:38 AM   #2
dakota74

Pics

Here are the pics I took at the dealer last night.

Right click on each pic and select "save" and a window will pop up giving you the filename (which is the location of the spot(s))
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2012, 06:54 AM   #3
VictorDelDuca

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Camaro SS 6M
Definitely keep us posted. Mine is going to All American tomorrow for the "recall" and it will be good for us to keep track of local dealers who can service these cars correctly given the amount of problems we have seen here. Right now I only seem to get rub marks above the doors if I keep it down for the day and some wind noise. Not sure if its made a difference but since I've applied the 303 protectant, I don't notice them as much behind the rear glass anymore... Maybe its just because I haven't driven it all that much tho..
Old 04-24-2012, 07:02 AM   #4
dakota74

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorDelDuca View Post
Definitely keep us posted. Mine is going to All American tomorrow for the "recall" and it will be good for us to keep track of local dealers who can service these cars correctly given the amount of problems we have seen here. Right now I only seem to get rub marks above the doors if I keep it down for the day and some wind noise. Not sure if its made a difference but since I've applied the 303 protectant, I don't notice them as much behind the rear glass anymore... Maybe its just because I haven't driven it all that much tho..
Never did the 303 protectant.....after all this is resolved, I will.

I got the wind noise as well; I think that's a convertible thing though....
Old 04-24-2012, 07:12 AM   #5
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
I just looked at three 2011 convertibles that are used sitting on a dealer's lot ,and every one had rub marks and/or holes starting. I wonder if that's why they were traded. Good luck hope you get it resolved.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:15 AM   #6
dakota74

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
I just looked at three 2011 convertibles that are used on a sitting on a dealer's lot ,and every one had rub marks and/or holes starting. I wonder if that's why they were traded. Good luck hope you get it resolved.

I am thinking that worst case scenario (for GM) or the best case scenario (for me) is that when/if they replace the roof, that the fabric will be different and if they do that, I will make sure that they do the recall first (spacers and cushioning tape)
Old 04-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #7
Griffintile

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS L99 convertible
I called my dealer yesterday, they finally got the stuff needed to do the "enhancements". They had one in the shop as we spoke and are doing the ones on the lot today, mine is scheduled for tomorrow. My top has several of the same spots as yours, but not as bad. The ones above the doors seemed to be close to starting a hole. So I stopped putting top down about a month ago, to avoid having a replacement until all the TSB parts came in.

Got a bottle of 303 fabric guard sitting in garage, should I put 303 on today or wait until they get done working on top?
Griffintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:25 AM   #8
dakota74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffintile View Post
I called my dealer yesterday, they finally got the stuff needed to do the "enhancements". They had one in the shop as we spoke and are doing the ones on the lot today, mine is scheduled for tomorrow. My top has several of the same spots as yours, but not as bad. The ones above the doors seemed to be close to starting a hole. So I stopped putting top down about a month ago, to avoid having a replacement, until they got the parts to do the TSB's. Got a bottle of 303 fabric guard sitting in garage, should I put 303 on today or wait until they get done working on top?
I may be wrong, but I'd wait for them to work on it before putting the 303 on.

Why do you not want a new roof?
Old 04-24-2012, 07:30 AM   #9
dakota74

Update

Called dealer - made sure he got the night drop keys. He told me about the recall, and said that he was going to do that first and also the brakes. Then he'll call me and go over the roof.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:38 AM   #10
Griffintile

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS L99 convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota74 View Post
I may be wrong, but I'd wait for them to work on it before putting the 303 on.

Why do you not want a new roof?
Because of all the horror stories I have read about, on here and Facebook. It seems that a lot could go wrong if an inexperienced person installs top. There are waterbag issues, the fifth bow breaking, and potential for more wind noise after new top instalation.
I do plan on using it with top down as much as possible after current fix is applied. If problems still exist I will go with new roof then. After that if more problems happen, there will be another camaro in my future, possibly a 45th ls3 with sunroof, and dealer installed supercharger with .391 gears. Something like that or a ZL1 would be the only things that would be a worthy replacement for the vert and the feeling of top down cruising.
Griffintile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:46 AM   #11
dakota74

Quote:
Because of all the horror stories I have read about, on here and Facebook. It seems that a lot could go wrong if an inexperienced person installs top. There are waterbag issues, the fifth bow breaking, and potential for more wind noise after new top instalation.
I do plan on using it with top down as much as possible after current fix is applied. If problems still exist I will go with new roof then. After that if more problems happen, there will be another camaro in my future, possibly a 45th ls3 with sunroof, and dealer installed supercharger with .391 gears. Something like that or a ZL1 would be the only things that would be a worthy replacement for the vert and the feeling of top down cruising.

I hear you......honestly, though, if it were to come to that (a new roof) for me, I'd make sure to vet the person or company who was replacing the roof.....and also make sure I get (in writing) that were issues to arise, I would get them taken care of no questions asked, you know? I'd be crazy thorough....not saying that others weren't at all, just saying I'd be all over it like a spider monkey

For now, I'm not in a rush to get a new roof -- although I hate looking at the roof like it is currently. I will go the course and let the dealer do the fixes and brushings and whatnot. I'm going to be unlike my past self and actually be patient
Old 04-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #12
VictorDelDuca

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Camaro SS 6M
Quote:
I called my dealer yesterday, they finally got the stuff needed to do the "enhancements". They had one in the shop as we spoke and are doing the ones on the lot today, mine is scheduled for tomorrow. My top has several of the same spots as yours, but not as bad. The ones above the doors seemed to be close to starting a hole. So I stopped putting top down about a month ago, to avoid having a replacement until all the TSB parts came in.

Got a bottle of 303 fabric guard sitting in garage, should I put 303 on today or wait until they get done working on top?
If my memory is correct, the 303 has to dry in for a day or two so you can't put the top down.. I want to say 48-72 hrs depending on the conditions. The only reason I think it has helped was that every other time I put the top down the wrinkles and marks were noticeable until I would wash the car and then the wrinkles seem to stretch out when it dried and everything looked great. The rub marks were never bad on my car, knock on wood. I haven't washed the car in probably well over a month, since I Zaino'd it, and the only spots I've noticed are over the doors, and it was only after I had the tonneau on the car for the day. There are some who seem to think there is a correlation to use of the tonneau and worst rub marks... Seems to be true in my case.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #13
Jed90245
Jed90245

Drives: Camaro Vert 2LT, Black w/ Biege Top
My car also got recalled but I'm not sure if the dealership in Carson City is familiar with those issues. I'll cross my finger and will hope for the best.
Jed90245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #14
dakota74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed90245 View Post
My car also got recalled but I'm not sure if the dealership in Carson City is familiar with those issues. I'll cross my finger and will hope for the best.

Maybe print out some posts and show the service advisor -- It's better to be all on the same page before they start messing about, you know? Besides, you wouldn't be offending them.