Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-10-2010, 08:47 PM   #141
GMtothecore
"That Guy"

Drives: Camaro SS...........what else?
Location: OOOOOOOklahoma where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains.
I bet these would sound awesome! I've got Doug Thorley shortys, replaced the resonator with X-pipe, and a Vararam CAI.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:32 PM   #142
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Is it just me, or does the car sound almost like a HEMI car from the late 60s?... I don't really care, because I'm still going with the ATAK (even though apparently my wifey hates it, lol; I hope she forgets...).

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:34 AM   #143
mikey8

Drives: 2019 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtwo View Post
The louder the exhaust the louder the drone will be. No matter what it sounds like on the video you will probably go crazy if you do highway driving with the Atak system. I'd stick with either the touring or Sport.
I agree. I was considering having a second sytem. (Solo Mach X) and maybe this. The more I think about it, I don't think I could handle it as a DD. I don't see how that loud sound could be kept outside, and behind the car. If there was ever an exhaust system that sounded like a racecar outside, and was somewhat quiet inside, I'd be all over it. I guess you can't have both. I'll stick with my smooth SOLO.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:23 PM   #144
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Drives: Camaro LSX
Quote:
The louder the exhaust the louder the drone will be. No matter what it sounds like on the video you will probably go crazy if you do highway driving with the Atak system. I'd stick with either the touring or Sport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey8 View Post
I agree. I was considering having a second sytem. (Solo Mach X) and maybe this. The more I think about it, I don't think I could handle it as a DD. I don't see how that loud sound could be kept outside, and behind the car. If there was ever an exhaust system that sounded like a racecar outside, and was somewhat quiet inside, I'd be all over it. I guess you can't have both. I'll stick with my smooth SOLO.
I have to disagree. Drone has more to do harmonics and less to do with volume. Obviously if drone exsists it will be worse with higher volume, but a louder exhaust doesn't cause it.
Dangeruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 05:13 PM   #145
mikey8

Drives: 2019 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangeruss View Post
I have to disagree. Drone has more to do harmonics and less to do with volume. Obviously if drone exsists it will be worse with higher volume, but a louder exhaust doesn't cause it.
I guess what I was trying to say, was more geared towards "volume" inside the car because it sounds so loud outside.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:38 PM   #146
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Yeah... I have to disagree too. Russ and I have made the comparisons. My Corsa is really LOUD and it has zero drone. Granted the Borla sounds better but I think the low tone everyone wants is a huge contributor to drone.

Seems like the Atak system is not quite as deep but very aggressive like the Corsa. We'll find out for sure on Thursday.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:57 PM   #147
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Yeah... I have to disagree too. Russ and I have made the comparisons. My Corsa is really LOUD and it has zero drone. Granted the Borla sounds better but I think the low tone everyone wants is a huge contributor to drone.

Seems like the Atak system is not quite as deep but very aggressive like the Corsa. We'll find out for sure on Thursday.
I'm going to throw my opinion in there and disagree to disagree My '02, when equipped with LTs, cats', QTEC, and Borla CB didn't sound bad at all, even with the cutout open. I wouldn't characterize the noise (it wasn't noise to me at all, but for argument's sake) as drone at all, with the QTEC open. When you got on it, it was pretty loud, and I'd say there was drone, but just cruising around town, it wasn't bad at all. With the cutout closed, there was less drone in the car than with the manifolds and OEM cats' and y-pipe! I don't know if it was a function of where my cutout was (same place the diverter plates go in that catback) or what, but it was pleasant, ironically. I'm not going to say I've heard THIS system for myself, but I'm reserving my opinion at this point. I know I'm not going to run this system with LTs, so I'm kinda' looking for that roar, and so far, this system is it for me.

That's JMVHO though

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 04-12-2010, 05:36 PM   #148
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I'm going to throw my opinion in there and disagree to disagree My '02, when equipped with LTs, cats', QTEC, and Borla CB didn't sound bad at all, even with the cutout open. I wouldn't characterize the noise (it wasn't noise to me at all, but for argument's sake) as drone at all, with the QTEC open. When you got on it, it was pretty loud, and I'd say there was drone, but just cruising around town, it wasn't bad at all. With the cutout closed, there was less drone in the car than with the manifolds and OEM cats' and y-pipe! I don't know if it was a function of where my cutout was (same place the diverter plates go in that catback) or what, but it was pleasant, ironically. I'm not going to say I've heard THIS system for myself, but I'm reserving my opinion at this point. I know I'm not going to run this system with LTs, so I'm kinda' looking for that roar, and so far, this system is it for me.

That's JMVHO though
Getting on it and having loud noise is one thing, but cruising at a "constant" RPM and hearing the cabin fill with drone is another (my personal definition of drone). Having LTs on definitely makes a big difference too... both with noise level and drone. I really dig the loud exhaust and my fingers are crossed that the Atak system handles drone better w/ LTs on that the original system.

Not sure if that was disagree to the disagree of the first disagree or not...

Just MHO
Old 04-12-2010, 07:04 PM   #149
SamSS

Drives: '10 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
Is it just me, or does the car sound almost like a HEMI car from the late 60s?... I don't really care, because I'm still going with the ATAK (even though apparently my wifey hates it, lol; I hope she forgets...).
it did sound like a hemi to me too! so i'm not the only one.
i'd like my exhaust to be loud, and the touring and the s type just aren't what i was looking for. i was leaning towards the magnaflow comp series 2.5" cat back, but this atak thing sounds great too, but costs about twice as much the magnaflow.
SamSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:29 PM   #150
seddon

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:

Can you post up a video with the 2 cars side by side to hear a comparison.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:23 AM   #151
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by seddon View Post
Can you post up a video with the 2 cars side by side to hear a comparison.
We actually did videos before and after the LT install for both Borla & Corsa, but a couple of the videos just didn't do it justice. I have a HD video camera now so here's a Corsa one with ARH. We will do Russ's somewhere along the way to C5 Fest and post it up too with ATAK.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:29 AM   #152
seddon

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
We actually did videos before and after the LT install for both Borla & Corsa, but a couple of the videos just didn't do it justice. I have a HD video camera now so here's a Corsa one with ARH. We will do Russ's somewhere along the way to C5 Fest and post it up too with ATAK.

Thank you that sounds awesome. But when you do the video with the ATAK do a side by side comparison on the same video so people can get a perspective. Also would the corsa sound the same on an L99 as it would on an LS3?
Old 04-13-2010, 08:53 AM   #153
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by seddon View Post
Thank you that sounds awesome. But when you do the video with the ATAK do a side by side comparison on the same video so people can get a perspective. Also would the corsa sound the same on an L99 as it would on an LS3?
Might be a slight difference since the L99 comes with a resonator as part of the x-pipe but I doubt with LTs it would be noticable.

We will do the videos side by side of Borla ATAK w/ Kooks LTs and Corsa w/ ARH LTs this weekend at C5 Fest and post up. Both cars are L99
Old 04-13-2010, 10:18 AM   #154
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Getting on it and having loud noise is one thing, but cruising at a "constant" RPM and hearing the cabin fill with drone is another (my personal definition of drone). Having LTs on definitely makes a big difference too... both with noise level and drone. I really dig the loud exhaust and my fingers are crossed that the Atak system handles drone better w/ LTs on that the original system.

Not sure if that was disagree to the disagree of the first disagree or not...

Just MHO
I believe my definition falls in-line with yours. I was just saying, in that car, with that configuration, the drone really wasn't there when cruising around. BUT - that was on a totally different car than these, so that may not be the case with this one under similar conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSS View Post
it did sound like a hemi to me too! so i'm not the only one.
i'd like my exhaust to be loud, and the touring and the s type just aren't what i was looking for. i was leaning towards the magnaflow comp series 2.5" cat back, but this atak thing sounds great too, but costs about twice as much the magnaflow.
But, if I can get away with the sound that I'm looking for, then I won't have to add shorties that may-or-may not do anything for performance and just stick with this CB.

Quote:

Quote:
Might be a slight difference since the L99 comes with a resonator as part of the x-pipe but I doubt with LTs it would be noticable.

We will do the videos side by side of Borla ATAK w/ Kooks LTs and Corsa w/ ARH LTs this weekend at C5 Fest and post up. Both cars are L99
Thanks for sharing the videos and doing all the work to allow us to get a better understanding of what we're looking for

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"