Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-29-2007, 10:36 PM   #43
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
It's an automated manual Transmission. As opposed to GM's which is an Automatic at heart, a DCT uses the basics of a manual, and moves itself. The beauty lies in that since there are two separate shafts, the next gear is already engaged - so all the tranny has to do is switch which shaft it's pushing power through. This results in very quick shifts. Look it up on howstuffworks.com. I'd go into more detail - but they have pictures and a real good description of how it works.

As per the quote... GM may not have said anything, but the C7 Vette will be getting one.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:44 PM   #44
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
To add to that, a dual clutch tranny, like its name implies, has two clutches, one for the currently engaged gear and one preselecting the next gear (so basically a clutch for gears 1,3,5, and a clutch for gears 2,4,6) It allows for very fast shifts and isn't the same thing as a traditional auto gearbox with a torque converter and paddle shifters talking to a computer.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:45 PM   #45
Jay

Drives: Audi A4
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Read that in a less aggressive tone than the smiley implies, but I discussed the difference in great detail just a little earlier on this thread.
my bad dude.... got it.

"HEAVEN JUST COULDN'T HANDLE ALL THE NOISE"
JAY
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:46 PM   #46
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
It's an automated manual Transmission. As opposed to GM's which is an Automatic at heart, a DCT uses the basics of a manual, and moves itself. The beauty lies in that since there are two separate shafts, the next gear is already engaged - so all the tranny has to do is switch which shaft it's pushing power through. This results in very quick shifts. Look it up on howstuffworks.com. I'd go into more detail - but they have pictures and a real good description of how it works.

As per the quote... GM may not have said anything, but the C7 Vette will be getting one.
thanks dragon.... i got it.... its something similar to what I had heard about previously, just want sure.

Really cool tho, I must admit, it might make me think twice about not getting manual if this was offered on the Camaro.

JAY
Old 12-29-2007, 10:53 PM   #47
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
They are really nice, and as I said some have even said they do make the manual transmission obsolete. GM's traditional paddle shift automatics have also been greatly improved, and the gap is closing, so even if the Camaro just gets that, most people will be happy. Well, there are plenty of manual transmission devotees who don't care if it works just as well as a true manual, because nothing can replicate the feeling of physically rowing through the gears yourselves, and they're right. So if that is important to you, still go manual. But looking at it strictly from a performance perspective, most modern automatic trannies with manual or sport shift modes can hold their own against even the better manual transmissions.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 01:27 AM   #48
Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
They are really nice, and as I said some have even said they do make the manual transmission obsolete. GM's traditional paddle shift automatics have also been greatly improved, and the gap is closing, so even if the Camaro just gets that, most people will be happy. Well, there are plenty of manual transmission devotees who don't care if it works just as well as a true manual, because nothing can replicate the feeling of physically rowing through the gears yourselves, and they're right. So if that is important to you, still go manual. But looking at it strictly from a performance perspective, most modern automatic trannies with manual or sport shift modes can hold their own against even the better manual transmissions.
yah, thats true.... im most likely still gunna get a manual... your right about the rowing through the gears.... there's nothing like it.... infact I know I'm gunna get manual

JAY
Old 01-10-2008, 07:24 AM   #49
Sabrina saysssss

Drives: 95 camaro <3 =p
I'd say you learn how to drive manual, coming from a girl that loves cars, if i saw a young guy in the 5 gen camaro driving stick, it would melt my heart. I plan on buying manual once i get better at driving it. My suggestion is that you start early, and you're one lucky boy, BE CAREFUL!
Sabrina saysssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:36 AM   #50
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
^Now that's encouraging for a young single guy like me Personally I had some doubts because my dad told me to get an automatic, and I trust his advice, but I just can't on this. I'd get bored. So manual it is.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:37 PM   #51
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I know this will make you all angry, but I'm getting an automatic.

I'm going to be putting so much money into this car that I'm not a fan of replacing my clutch every 6 months. I know how I'm going to drive my Camaro, and a manual won't survive like an automatic. I'm not saying I'm going to be driving recklessly, but I haven't owned a manual before, so I'm guessing a 400hp monster isn't a good place to start.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:50 PM   #52
09'Z28
The "Mad Hamster"

Drives: '71 Camaro, '90 mx5, '71 2002
well if i could affourd one i would get one in manual cause im only 14 and can handle a stick fairly well in my dads bimmer
Old 01-10-2008, 05:20 PM   #53
Bowtie Guy Z28

Drives: 98' Z28 08 CC Z71 2010 SS/RS
Manual.
Bowtie Guy Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 09:31 AM   #54
Flyin'Camaros
BumbleBee is my Hero...

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS Black M6
First thought is manual...All my cars except one have always been a manual! LOVE TO SHIFT GEARS!! Will definitely see what kind of sport shift they come out with though...but hard to go against my first thought at this point!
Old 01-12-2008, 04:49 AM   #55
85convertibleZ28
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro ss rs cgm M6
I don't think that it has been addressed here yet do you think that the 6 speed will go from 1st to third or fourth I cant remember how it went, Anyone know?
85convertibleZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 11:55 AM   #56
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
It goes from 1st to 4th to save gas at under 15 mph. But, a skip shift eliminator at $15.00 takes care of that problem.

This one could have it, but someone will quickly sell the sse.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote