Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 06-26-2015, 08:07 AM   #1
TOXIC SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99
whoops! 6L/80 shifter issue.

Help guys! I was trying to get shifter handle off ( very tight ) when it did come loose, and yes I did remove the screw, it broke the tip off the plastic part that moves up and down and will not shift now. Any ideas?????????
TOXIC SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:10 AM   #2
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
That piece is not serviceable, you will need to replace the shifter assembly. Meanwhile, if you leave the knob off you can push the remainder of the black plastic piece down and be able to shift/drive the car.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:29 AM   #3
TOXIC SS

That's what I was thinking,I was going to have to do. SUCKS! think I could manufacture a new tip and drill and bolt new piece. Thank you for your quick response!!!
Old 06-26-2015, 08:45 AM   #4
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOXIC SS View Post
That's what I was thinking,I was going to have to do. SUCKS! think I could manufacture a new tip and drill and bolt new piece. Thank you for your quick response!!!
I don't think so. The only way I know of without replacing the shifter would be to replace the black plastic piece. There are a couple of problems, first it is not sold separately, second when driving the pin out that secures it you must be careful not to damage the locking mechanism. It takes a couple of good solid blows to remove the pin. The only other option I can think of is when I first started making the manual knob retrofit shifters I had a few that wanted them as short as possible, it required trimming the plastic piece down but that would mean you could no longer run the stock knob and would have to replace it with a manual type knob
Old 06-26-2015, 09:01 AM   #5
TOXIC SS

what types of manual handles would work, and how to attach.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:13 AM   #6
CFD

Quote:
what types of manual handles would work, and how to attach.
This link will give all the info on them and many examples of installed units.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320465

If you want to try to replace the piece that was broken I may have one on one of my test shifters which has a stripped hole. Keep in mind if you try it and the mechanism breaks you will have no choice but to replace the shifter assembly. I can take some pictures of what would be required to change it if you want to go that route.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:20 PM   #7
TOXIC SS

CFD, could you take a few photos please, what is the cost of new shifter adapter with ring and threaded for T-handle for use with stock bezel. Will it still work with the tip broken off?
Old 06-26-2015, 12:33 PM   #8
CFD

Quote:
CFD, could you take a few photos please, what is the cost of new shifter adapter with ring and threaded for T-handle for use with stock bezel. Will it still work with the tip broken off?
I'll take a few pics because if you can repair it you can always use my adapter, the stock knob or any other option out there, if I make a shorter shifter to fit, that will be your only option. I would also need a picture of your set up to make sure it's not broken off to far.

I'll send a few pics in a minute
Old 06-26-2015, 01:00 PM   #9
CFD

Below are the pictures. The first I am pointing to the pin that needs to be removed, the second one I removed the small lock out switch so as not to damage it, the third is the plastic piece and pin removed. It takes some good solid blows with a drift to get it out. I also pulled my shifter bezel out to look at it on the car, it is obstructed by the consul, you would have to lift it out of the way to get a straight shot at the pin
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2015, 06:58 PM   #10
Yimetime

Drives: 11 BLK 2SS/RS
I bought the entire shifter assembly to replace the part that broke just like yours, except I can't figure out how you remove the shifter assembly, anyone know?