Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-18-2008, 09:01 AM   #1
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
New to Forced Induction? Gale Banks talks about FI (Boost).

For those that want a great overview of forced induction (Superchargers and Turbos), here is a video of the man who probably knows more about FI than anyone else.

Hopefully You'll enjoy it.

Edit: Better links,

Part 1: Roots, Twin Screw, and Centrifugal Superchargers
http://www.bankspower.com/videos/show/2

Part 2: Nitrous, Turbos, and Diesels
http://www.bankspower.com/videos/show/3

I really enjoyed his take on the future of musclecars. Very cool.

Last edited by GTAHVIT; 08-18-2008 at 09:53 AM.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:08 AM   #2
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Ooo... This looks pretty good. Thanks!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:02 AM   #3
GTAHVIT
Blessed

I totally get the Turbo thing. If Mr. Banks says it's the way to go then so be it.

But I'm looking for 600 RWHP, and I love the sound of a twin screw supercharger. I'm gonna have trouble getting 600 to the ground anyway. For the kind of power I'm talking about I don't really want all the complications of Turbo. Having said that, if I were to go 700 plus and money was no object... I'd have a small block Banks TT setup without question.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:10 PM   #4
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I remember watching that. Very informative for beginers
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:12 PM   #5
smike07

Drives: 1998 convertible Camaro RS
It certainly gives me something to contemplate. I like both turbos and SC, but mine will have at least 500 horses before I tack on any type of forced induction stuff. There's plenty of time for everyone to give feedback and total HP numbers, as well as problems before I invest in either. It's still exciting.
smike07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:34 PM   #6
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
I totally get the Turbo thing. If Mr. Banks says it's the way to go then so be it.

But I'm looking for 600 RWHP, and I love the sound of a twin screw supercharger. I'm gonna have trouble getting 600 to the ground anyway. For the kind of power I'm talking about I don't really want all the complications of Turbo. Having said that, if I were to go 700 plus and money was no object... I'd have a small block Banks TT setup without question.
+1 I'd prefer the sound of a supercharger, ease of installation, reliability, and tunablility, opposed to the complicated design and nature of turbos. There's no question that Banks knows his stuff though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I remember watching that. Very informative for beginers
I thought that looked familiar. The narator sounded familiar then I saw the introduction on the second video and remembered seeing it.

Good information nonetheless!!!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 08-18-2008, 11:16 PM   #7
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
+1 I'd prefer the sound of a supercharger, ease of installation, reliability, and tunablility, opposed to the complicated design and nature of turbos. There's no question that Banks knows his stuff though.

I thought that looked familiar. The narator sounded familiar then I saw the introduction on the second video and remembered seeing it.

Good information nonetheless!!!
Can anyone please tell me what's so complicated about turbochargers? Or is that if you have to know like what size of turbo to use etc?
Old 08-19-2008, 06:23 AM   #8
GTAHVIT
Blessed

I guess complicated may be the wrong word. I'm just not a fan of all the plumbing that comes along with it. But, my biggest concern is the oil requirement for the turbos. Most bolt on Blowers don't need oil while the turbos do. It just makes me a little more comfortable when I shut down the motor, everything is shut down. While turbos will continue to spin and will require oil to cool them off. If I'm not mistaken some turbo kits won't let you shut off the motor until the turbos are cool enough. Things like this make me more of a blower guy. And the sound.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:51 AM   #9
radz28
Petro-sexual

Complicated isn't the right word; my bad. I should've said, IMHO, it's just more complex and, for me, not entirely necessary when you have a simpler blower you can bolt onto the top of the engine. I think the plumbing for the turbo(s), like coolant and/or oil, exhaust temperature, exhaust plumbing, bigger intercooler to fight higher IATs, and such just make it less desirable on a street car that's expected to put down good power, reliably, repeatedly. Don't get me wrong, TRs and GNs were flippin' bad@$$. I just believe there is more mechanical control over a supercharger, therefor, easier not to allow to get out of hand (overboost, creep, etc.)

I'm not arguing what's better, just what I prefer more

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 08-19-2008, 02:42 PM   #10
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
Complicated isn't the right word; my bad. I should've said, IMHO, it's just more complex and, for me, not entirely necessary when you have a simpler blower you can bolt onto the top of the engine. I think the plumbing for the turbo(s), like coolant and/or oil, exhaust temperature, exhaust plumbing, bigger intercooler to fight higher IATs, and such just make it less desirable on a street car that's expected to put down good power, reliably, repeatedly. Don't get me wrong, TRs and GNs were flippin' bad@$$. I just believe there is more mechanical control over a supercharger, therefor, easier not to allow to get out of hand (overboost, creep, etc.)

Dude! Did you cut and paste my post??? The More I read your posts the more I think we were separated at birth.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:16 PM   #11
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Lots of good info; learned a lot of new things I was unaware of… Great post

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:11 PM   #12
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
Quote:

Ditto,....(dude get out of my head)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit
Dude! Did you cut and paste my post??? The More I read your posts the more I think we were separated at birth.
Thats what I think of both U guys!!! well you know what they say great minds think alike!
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:17 AM   #13
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFord View Post
Ditto,....(dude get out of my head)

Thats what I think of both U guys!!! well you know what they say great minds think alike!
Old 08-20-2008, 12:18 AM   #14
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
YOU KNOW IT!!! SHAKE AND BAKE!!!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"