Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-02-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
'11CamaroLS

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
possible oil leak

So about 2 weeks ago i took my car to a shop near me to discuss possible exhaust ideas and while my car was on the lift and we where looking at my car the mechanic spotted oil on the bottom of my alternator and wiped it off. mentioned i might wanna take it in to the dealership. i decided to wait and see if theres more. so this morning i wiped on the bottom of the alternator and there was more oil there. is this normal should i take it in? i havent seen any drips where i park at home..but there are things under the alternator that if it dripped it would land on before the ground...and those do seem greasy. what you think i should do i wanna know soon as to if i need to take her in. thanks
'11CamaroLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
Nvincent4708

Drives: N/A
on the alternator?

Take a pic?
Nvincent4708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:27 PM   #3
BenningJ

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/RS LS3
Timing chain cover. I had an oil leak issue on the front of the engine and the dealership fixed it for me. It took them a day to fix as my dealership lost the tool to take the pulley off.

I had oil at the bottom, near the pan, but not very much. I would say either an intake gasket or the timing chain gasket. Take it in and good luck. Let us know.
| LS3 | CAI Inductions, Inc Intake | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | Dynatech 1.875" Long Tube Headers | Apex Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | Lethal Racing Night Fury Cam | BTR 7.400" Push Rods |LS2 Dampener | Melling 10296 Oil Pump | IWIS Chain | BTR .660" Dual Valve Springs | BTR Trunion Upgrade Kit | Lethal Racing Tuned | Anvil Notch Spoiler | BMR Split Drop Springs | Eaton TrueTrac | GM 3.91 Gears | LPW Diff Cover | Rohana RF2 275/40 20x10F 315/35 20x11R | BMR Polyurethane Motor Mounts
BenningJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:34 PM   #4
Nvincent4708

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenningJ View Post
Timing chain cover. I had an oil leak issue on the front of the engine and the dealership fixed it for me. It took them a day to fix as my dealership lost the tool to take the pulley off.

I had oil at the bottom, near the pan, but not very much. I would say either an intake gasket or the timing chain gasket. Take it in and good luck. Let us know.
I would listen to this guy. He has the V6. I do not, and he has had a similar issue. Dealer ahoy!
Old 08-02-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
'11CamaroLS

i guess i'll be calling and making an appointment then. just to doulbe check...i dont need to worry about taking off my K&N cai when i go right? i dont really know how cool/ uncool the dealership is here lol.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:57 PM   #6
Nvincent4708

Quote:
Originally Posted by '11CamaroLS View Post
i guess i'll be calling and making an appointment then. just to doulbe check...i dont need to worry about taking off my K&N cai when i go right? i dont really know how cool/ uncool the dealership is here lol.
That is something that should not affect your Warranty.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:42 PM   #7
'11CamaroLS

alright i called and made an appoinment for next tuesday to get it looked at. i wanted sooner but whatever. i think since i have the time i might still take my cai off anyways. between this, crappy paint and crappy 6sp manual this is kinda sucking. not what i expected for a new car thats cost nearly mid 20's
Old 08-02-2011, 06:24 PM   #8
BSR-1

Drives: 17 ZL1 M6 Black
Quote:
crappy paint and crappy 6sp manual this is kinda sucking. not what i expected for a new car thats cost nearly mid 20's
Had problems with the paint? transmission?
Old 08-03-2011, 05:07 PM   #9
'11CamaroLS

the paint just seems crappy... i dont know i already have a couple chips. and the black doesnt look nearly as nice as the black on the challenger. i think my kia optima had better paint lol, i never had chips or anything. the tranmission is okay...just sometimes it doesnt wanna go into 1st. its not very often but still annoying tho. and i think i have the onset of the shifting into 2nd gear problem others are having.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:27 PM   #10
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
the paint just seems crappy... i dont know i already have a couple chips. and the black doesnt look nearly as nice as the black on the challenger. i think my kia optima had better paint lol, i never had chips or anything. the tranmission is okay...just sometimes it doesnt wanna go into 1st. its not very often but still annoying tho. and i think i have the onset of the shifting into 2nd gear problem others are having.
The paint chips are more an issue of the design of the car than the quality of the paint. Tons of vertical flat areas on this car to absorb rocks and debris. To improve the depth of the black you probably just need a good decontamination and polishing.

Hope you get all your engine/tranny problems worked out though.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:15 PM   #11
BSR-1

Quote:
I had the first gear issue about three times but since I changed to royal purple in the tranny it hasn't happened again.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:16 PM   #12
WVCamaro10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1Lt RS Victory Red
I hate the paint on mine as well it chips so easy ive had it at my dealer twice to get the chips fixed and now have two more on the tops of were my front finders meet the front bummper.. The paint over all is not the best.. That is just me.. Its the only complant i have about the car over all... Sorry for the off topic
WVCamaro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:39 PM   #13
BSR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVCamaro10 View Post
I hate the paint on mine as well it chips so easy ive had it at my dealer twice to get the chips fixed and now have two more on the tops of were my front finders meet the front bummper.. The paint over all is not the best.. That is just me.. Its the only complant i have about the car over all... Sorry for the off topic
My paint seems OK but I do have issue with the transmission. It is kinda notchy, that's why I changed the fluid. It did make an improvement but still my girlfriends Scion TC shifts way better.
End of rant!
Old 08-04-2011, 06:07 PM   #14
'11CamaroLS

what tranny fluid you guys recomend? is it still GM specified/approved?