Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences

Old 10-29-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
BlownSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Magnuson Maggie TVS2300 Failure! Shame on Magnuson

JUst throwing this out here........I have a 2010 Camaro with approx 3100 miles on it. Ive had an annoying slow oil leak for the last 8 months. Of course it has the tvs2300 on it and have been pretty happy with it thus far but this is the first experience I have ever had with their customer service. At the dealership (which is mod friendly), They diagnosed the problem as a defective valley cover allowing a small leak at the rear passenger base of the supercharger/valley. They took the initiative to call Magnuson because this is about the third one they have seen in their shop lately. They were told by the customer service rep that this is a known problem with the early released units and the first ones were billet but the 3rd revision has finally proven to successfully remedy the leak. They agreed to send one out at no charge. It took 5 days to get here and it is in the shop as we speak getting the new valley swapped in. The car is never raced and always babied. I spoke with the customer service people about getting the labor covered under their warranty since they have a known issue that they have obviously had multiple people complain about that required so many revisions to fix the issue. The guy on the phone (wish i could remember his name) told me in a rather snotty voice that it was not covered even though they have had a massive problem with them.......im LIVID! 7 hours of labor at my expense!!!!!!! FAIL Magnuson! Not everybody who buys your stuff has an endless bucket of cash to take care of your mistakes. This is just a warning to those who are considering purchasing this unit or those of you who have one to be on the lookout for the leak!
2010 IOM SS/RS LS3, Hennessey HPE550 Polished Magnuson TVS2300 Supercharger. 3.4 Pulley. Kooks long tube headers / high flow cats. GHL Full exhaust. ZL1 Fuel Pump/ADM FPCM. MSW Bap. JRE ZL1 Race cam with new springs/pushrods/Trunion Upgrade. FIC 850cc injectors. ZR1 Map sensor. CAI Induction. JRE Tune.
BlownSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
RBL

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS
Its BS if you ask me.

2012 L99, whipple, Roto-Fab, Stainless Power headers, ZL1 fuel pump, cat delete.
RBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:10 PM   #3
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech

Drives: 2014 Ford F150 FX2
Send a message via Yahoo to Russo
I think they should have made a step toward satisfying you somewhat.. certainly you are over the timed warranty, but if you can prove the mileage, they could go half in on labor or something..
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:13 PM   #4
BlownSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russo View Post
I think they should have made a step toward satisfying you somewhat.. certainly you are over the timed warranty, but if you can prove the mileage, they could go half in on labor or something..

dealership gave them the mileage! So pi$$ed that so few companies take responsibilities for their oversights..........it falls into the responsibility of the consumer and they wonder why sales fall.......
2010 IOM SS/RS LS3, Hennessey HPE550 Polished Magnuson TVS2300 Supercharger. 3.4 Pulley. Kooks long tube headers / high flow cats. GHL Full exhaust. ZL1 Fuel Pump/ADM FPCM. MSW Bap. JRE ZL1 Race cam with new springs/pushrods/Trunion Upgrade. FIC 850cc injectors. ZR1 Map sensor. CAI Induction. JRE Tune.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
IMO I dont see anything wrong. They don't cover initial labor costs....they SELL stuff, so why would they for another one? They have to protect themselves. Anyone could install themselves and send a BS invoice and get hundreds of dollars for no reason. They stepped up and quickly sent you a several thousand dollar blower. Aftermarket entities are different than say, a GM recall that get covered...parts and LABOR.
Sure it SUCKS for you.....but the tune is already done...everything else is there installed...it's just bolting up the blower. If you got charged 7 hrs of labor...you should have a problem with the SHOP, not Mag.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:31 PM   #6
sam5828

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Well they could have stepped up. I had a rebuilt tranny from jasper in my vette. I didn't buy the tranny it was in there when I bought it, but it went out under warranty they sent me a new tranny and paid my buddy $210 to install it because I had no time to do it. Way to go jasper.

I know its a Maggie and not jasper just comparing companies

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
sam5828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:41 PM   #7
BlownSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKXOST View Post
IMO I dont see anything wrong. They don't cover initial labor costs....they SELL stuff, so why would they for another one? They have to protect themselves. Anyone could install themselves and send a BS invoice and get hundreds of dollars for no reason. They stepped up and quickly sent you a several thousand dollar blower. Aftermarket entities are different than say, a GM recall that get covered...parts and LABOR.
Sure it SUCKS for you.....but the tune is already done...everything else is there installed...it's just bolting up the blower. If you got charged 7 hrs of labor...you should have a problem with the SHOP, not Mag.
Its just a valley plate they sent out, not the whole blower. 7 hours to remove the blower, replace all the gaskets and get it going again isnt that bad.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:47 PM   #8
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownSS View Post
Its just a valley plate they sent out, not the whole blower. 7 hours to remove the blower, replace all the gaskets and get it going again isnt that bad.
AH, thats different. 7 hours though...I dunno man, quite sure there are a few shops in your area that could do it in 2, tops. 7 seems ridiculous. I watched my entire build and the blower install was one of the easiest parts. No where near 7 hours. I don't know what all they had to do but seems crazy. At least you're not having any issues now!
Old 10-29-2013, 08:57 PM   #9
Inferno LSX
Supercharged LSX

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Black/Carbon Fiber
It happens. I've had a Whipple with a sticking bypass valve. They replaced the whole unit but I did pay for the labor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -
Old 10-29-2013, 09:28 PM   #10
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
Not to be a downer, but the warranty is on the parts..not labor. I am pretty certain if you read the warranty paperwork that came with the kit, it will state that.

To be honest, labor is not covered under almost any parts warranty I know of. They will fix or replace the defective part, but uninstall/reinstall is the customer's responsibility. The only time I see it covered is when you buy a part through a shop, have it installed at said shop, and they offer a warranty on their work.

There are a few reasons for this not immediately apparent. The first concern is the manufacturer offering the warranty has no control over who is doing the warranty work, the rate they charge, or the quality of the work. If a manufacturer pays for labor on a warranty repair, then are they responsible if said shop makes a mistake and further warranty repairs are needed? What if the shop wants to charge more time than the manufacturer thinks it should cost.

Second, say someone is doing the work themselves....what if they decide their time is worth $150 an hour and expect the manufacturer to pay that.

Lastly, keep in mind, if they were to warranty labor, that would have to be baked into warranty expense, and the part would ultimately end up having to cost more. There is a big difference between the cost of a valley plate, and 7 hours labor.

The best analogy here is say you bought an Autozone alternator for your 95 Lumina Z34. It takes like 6 hours to install an alternator on that car...you have to take the fender off. If it goes bad, that sucks, but it happens. You have to uninstall it, and take it in for warranty service. Autozone does no reimburse you for labor..and honestly most people would not expect it. Same thing here..just via mail order.

The fact that it is a "known" issue does not make them somehow now liable for labor which is explicitly not covered under warranty.

FWIW, here is Magnusun's warranty-

Quote:
1. Magnuson Products, LLC warrants each new product to be free from defects in both workmanship and material for a period of three (3) years or 36,000 miles from the date of purchase, unless an exception noted below and provided that the product is properly installed, subjected to normal use and service and that the product is not modified or changed in any way.
2. All electrical parts: Magna Volt, Fuel pumps, and Intercooler Pumps on have a one (1) year (no mileage) warranty
3. Negligence by the user or product used for racing or competition purposes voids the warranty.
4. All warranty items are extended from the date of purchase to the original consumer/purchaser of record for the original vehicle the product was installed on.
5. The warranty does not cover labor, failure of related components or failure resulting from improper air filtration, alteration, misuse, exposure to alkali-based chemicals, chrome plating, damage caused by “backfire”, road hazards, accident damage, faulty installation, faulty repair
6. Warranty returns must be inspected by an authorized factory representative (dealer) prior to returning to Magnuson Products, LLC.
7. Merchandise returned must be accompanied by a copy of the RMA form.
8. Magnuson Products, LLC preferred freight carriers should be used on warranty returns.
9. If unauthorized carriers are used, the amount of freight credit will be based on Magnuson Products, LLC preferred carrier rates.
10. Warranty only applies to the original order and the warranty does not transfer.
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:06 PM   #11
BlownSS

You aren't a downer. I read the warranty. It is well written by a herd of lawyers to keep them from having to be responsible for labor cost. I guess the only way for it to be fully warranted would be to leave it on a shelf and not install it. Mine was installed by professionals one on my dime.......now because of their faulty engineeri g or manufacturing, it should be on their dime.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:39 PM   #12
fldrummer
"Black Ace"

Drives: Supercharged 2010 SS, 2016 Golf R
Damn, that sucks. I bought mine used, but it was missing the valley covrer, so we had to order a new one (7 months ago). Hopefully I won't encounter a similar problem. We DID have a pinhole leak in the heat exchanger (under the blower, above the valley cover) though. I suggest everyone do a leak test on those before installing them, esp. if buying one used. 'Lucky I didn't blow the engine with the coolant slowly leaking into the intake stream! After having to remove the blower, order a new heat exchanger, wait for it to arrive and reinstall, it wound up costing about as much as a new kit.
Mods: Forged 416 LS3, Maggie TVS 2300 SC (~11 psi), custom cam (232/247, .630/.630, 118 LSA), 90-lb. injectors, ZL1 fuel pump & ADM controller, Alky Control meth kit, Monster LT1-SC twin-disk clutch, ZL1 drivetrain conversion w/ DSS 1000-HP axles & 1-pc. driveshaft, CAI Inc. intake w/ ADM scoop, XS Power full exhaust (1 7/8" LT headers with 3" off-road pipes), VMAX CNC-ported TB, LSR adjustable sway bars, LPE rear end-links, BMR 1" drop, BMR polyurethane bushings; UMI trailing arms & toe rods. Built & tuned by Kraftworks. 755 rwhp/708 rwtq
fldrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:39 PM   #13
Nitroman28

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 416/4L80
Blower kit can be installed in 7hrs. To just pull the blower and put it back couple of hrs. Think I would find a new shop.
Nitroman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:24 AM   #14
MarylandSpeed
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 ZL1 & 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownSS View Post
You aren't a downer. I read the warranty. It is well written by a herd of lawyers to keep them from having to be responsible for labor cost. I guess the only way for it to be fully warranted would be to leave it on a shelf and not install it. Mine was installed by professionals one on my dime.......now because of their faulty engineeri g or manufacturing, it should be on their dime.
I understand your frustration. However I would not get that upset with them for living up to their warranty, and an industry standard practice. Keep in mind, if they cover this kind of stuff, everyone pays more..it gets baked in the cost of the part.

We have processed thousands of orders in the 10 years we have been in business, and I can say I have seen maybe 2-3 times where a manufacturer cut a check for labor. Each time it was only because it was cheaper to pay the shop to FIX/Repair a defective part than replace it.
MarylandSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote