Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 12-03-2013, 12:33 AM   #43
Falundir

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE - Hyper Blue, P85DL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom View Post
I would have sent you home for spelling "Fremont" wrong

j/k. Good job fighting it. Some cops can be a little over zealous.
Hah, I was still a little new to the area. I keep thinking of it like Freeport (from EQ...).

The good news is, as posted in this thread - http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330866, I won the court case. So we now have case law backing the use of these halos.
Falundir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:05 AM   #44
ZekeZeke14
so nice, you say it twice

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT CGM/Matte Black
This is brilliant! I also have amber halos and got pulled over once when an officer mistook it for red. It was just a $15 fine, so I just paid it but I would have loved to have something like this! Any chance you could send me a pdf I could print off for my records?
Old 12-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #45
Falundir

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZekeZeke14 View Post
This is brilliant! I also have amber halos and got pulled over once when an officer mistook it for red. It was just a $15 fine, so I just paid it but I would have loved to have something like this! Any chance you could send me a pdf I could print off for my records?
Just shoot me an email at Christopher.sitter@gmail.com. I will send this over and once I get the documentation from the new case I will also forward it over.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:04 AM   #46
Misfit1

Drives: 2012 White/Inferno 2SS
unfortunately, here in the good ole commonwealth (Virginia) all this stuff is illegal....we just pay the fines and move on....such crap....
Misfit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #47
FY_Ivan
Black Mamba

Drives: 2013 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit1 View Post
unfortunately, here in the good ole commonwealth (Virginia) all this stuff is illegal....we just pay the fines and move on....such crap....
What exactly? Amber halos in the front? Those should be allowed just like the turn signal lights are. I got some oracle side markers and their amber is a bit red-ish but just like the OP posted, as long as they are in the acceptable range they should be legal. Only problem is when the police officer won't give you the benefit of doubt/doesn't care and writes you a ticket anyways, then you gotta go to court and prove they are amber. We pay close to $70 in court fees though...

Heritage Grille | Gen5DIY Halo & DRL Harness | LEDs - DRLs, dome, trunk, license plate | ZL1 rear and RPI front splash guards | CAI Inc. Cold Air Intake
Elite Engineering Catch Can | Oracle Ghosted Sidemarkers | FR ZL1 style wheels | VMax Black Ported TB
FY_Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #48
Misfit1

Drives: 2012 White/Inferno 2SS
Side markers, maybe....but everything else other than a direct OEM replacement (ie color) is a no go. This is a bible belt state, for gods sake there is still a law here about washing your mule on the sidewalk....these are old school laws and lawmakers, judges and jurys. Federal may say ok, but then the commonwealth says no, specifically for lighting, unless it is standard equipment. Some of the cops are cool enough to understand how jacked these laws are, but others especially your newbs, probies and old heads will hem you up. I had to strip tint of my 77 vette on the side of the road!!! the car was over 30 yo at the time and an antique, my choice was do what he says or get hauled off for obstruction....the commonwealth is crazy and even worse in Hampton Roads, blows my mind!!! I failed an inspection for ADDING A CATALYTIC converter!!! Same vette, added true dual exhaust...so two converters, and failed for altering original exhaust configuration.....if anything I made it better!!!!!

I would love for progression to come to this state similar to Florida and Cali, Thats why you never see anything truly radical on the road, because the shops will get fined for doing the work and the owner will get fined for enjoying the work....so the car would become a real expensive lawn ornament!! just to give an example, the only Oracle dealer in this state is in Roanaoke, 18 miles form the WV and NC border....bet 99% of his work doesn't come from the commonwealth! I am trying to get the shops here to order and represent Oracle and all of them have said no so far as the products cant be used.
Misfit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:44 AM   #49
FY_Ivan
Black Mamba

Drives: 2013 2LT RS
Wow you got hosed big time. Sorry to hear all that, I'm not the biggest fan of cops here in northern va either...

Heritage Grille | Gen5DIY Halo & DRL Harness | LEDs - DRLs, dome, trunk, license plate | ZL1 rear and RPI front splash guards | CAI Inc. Cold Air Intake
Elite Engineering Catch Can | Oracle Ghosted Sidemarkers | FR ZL1 style wheels | VMax Black Ported TB
FY_Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #50
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
Hey man, congrats on beating that ticket.
Just a heads up, a cop CAN STILL pull you over, all he has to do is say that they lights in question APPEARED red. This gives him the Primary Offense needed to pull you over, at which point he can hit you for any secondary offenses as well.
So, if you are rolling dirty, watch out.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #51
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
You could also use the original manufacturers Box/Label/Receipt as prrof of the color, it should say "Amber, or Orange on it somewhere.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #52
Falundir

An officer can pull you over for any reason in reality. I would love to have my windows tinted, however it is a favorite with local police so I never even bothered with it.

As for the color on the box - There are not any legal requirements where the manufacturer has to label their lights according to SAE regulations. Walking into court with the box does not prove that the lights that were installed actually operate within the specified light range.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #53
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
Whenever someone wins a court battle for something reasonable like this, you help all of the modding/customizing industry, and all of us as here that mod as well. So my hat off to you. I live close by, so now I know I can run amber halos legally. Way to go!!