Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-05-2011, 08:39 PM   #1
Forza
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS CGM
Third Mod - RPI Stealth Guards "MY THOUGHTS"

It has been raining for 3 days straight, YES, my Camaro is dirty please don't laugh too hard.

I just finished installing my new Stealth Guards from RPI. I received the package very quickly from RPI Sales, kudos to your prompt service. Unfortunately that is where the praise stops. Let me explain.

The package is put together fairly well, with everything needed to install the guards. The main problem is the instructions, which are in black & white, and the 2 small pictures are so dark & fuzzy you might as well show me a woman in a swimsuit. Those 2 pictures are brutal, please fix those pictures or swap them out for something useful.

The guards themselves are made in a nice thin plastic (which fyi came dirty ). The kit comes with alcohol wipes & plastic elbows & steel clips. I listed these three items because these are the worst things I would have used to help hold the guards in place.

In the pictures I try to show you how the elbows have to be 3M taped to the rear fenders, and then to the guard to keep the guard in place. I just don't see how this will hold out for that long?

The fronts have a metal "U" shaped clip that holds the guard against the fender like a paperclip. OMG terrible design guys.

Almost forgot, you can see in one of the pics I had to cut some parts so that it fit better. Not a big deal but frick, please measure the parts before shipping them to me.

For $56 after shipping, I feel very ripped off. They look cool, because they are difficult to see (which is nice hence stealth). Unfortunately the product could use soome work & redesign.

Maybe v2 will be better? Sorry RPI.

TIPS:
1. One word of advice, clean the working areas off before installing. It helps to make things fit & stick. The 3M tape will also stick better on a nice & clean surface. At least for now

2. Stick the plastic elbow on the fender first. Then with your hand hold it for 30-seconds to help it stick to the guard (see one of the pics).
Attached Images

Forza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:57 AM   #2
Forza
Account Suspended

UPDATE: As I originally stated & expected, the 3M tape came undone. It basically lasted a week! What a POS idea.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:53 AM   #3
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forza View Post
UPDATE: As I originally stated & expected, the 3M tape came undone. It basically lasted a week! What a POS idea.
Try some silicone. But I agree, these sound like a total ripoff.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:32 PM   #4
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Forza, sorry to hear of your experience. Thanks however for the head-up. I won't be buying these, and will think twice, no - three times, about buying anything from RPI.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:30 AM   #5
Forza
Account Suspended

It's too bad because these are nice & small in size, but the install & design kinda lacks.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:02 PM   #6
73camarolt

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Im happy i didnt buy these. Luckily i found a set of GM ones for the same price haha.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:28 PM   #7
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
They look like plastic mud flaps they sell at auto zone for 9 bucks. I like my GM ones.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:01 PM   #8
Synner

Drives: cars
Same thing happened to me. Plastic tabs came off after about 2 weeks and I rarely drive it. Also had to redrill the upper mounting holes. At first I thought it was the spacer tube they use; they sent another one and same issue so I drilled them. They work well at keeping crud off the back bumper area but the tape and fitment issues kind of stink. Might try to make something to replace the bracket. Its at a 90 degree but you could tell when placing them its more like an actual 80 degree needed so it never could fit flush. Maybe some small pieces of aluminum...it'll be a rainy day project in the fall.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote