Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 05-05-2011, 01:35 PM   #15
KowalskiCamaro

Drives: 2010 Red Jewel 1SS & 2011 Durango
Looks a little like Airwolf. Remember that show?
Old 05-05-2011, 02:02 PM   #16
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
I was wondering if that was you following me the other day...
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:05 PM   #17
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
I was wondering if that was you following me the other day...

Damn! what gave us away...
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:26 PM   #18
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Wait. Didn't that Pakinstani guy twitter about all the noise the choppers made the whole time they were there?

Last edited by PQ; 05-05-2011 at 02:36 PM.
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:46 PM   #19
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:

Damn! what gave us away...
normally, they fly farther up as to not draw attention. but since you were right behind me, I figured it was you trying to mess with me. next time, just drop in the bed and save on fuel
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:46 PM   #20
NoSyT
It's a Three Six, Vee Six

Drives: '12 AGM 2LT/RS & '14 Silverado LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldaron327 View Post
There's one thing that would make a "stealth helicopter" stick out on radar that they can't fix: Rotor blades turning at hundreds of RPM. Those blades turning really stand out on radar.

Also, I'm not sure how much noise mitigation they've come up with over the years but from personal experience, a person can hear a helicopter coming from pretty far out depending on wind direction/velocity, altitude of the aircraft, etc.

Still, it's a cool concept... I just don't think that the physics of how a helicopter flies supports it.
Ever hear of the RAH-66 Comanche? It was supposed to be the first "stealth" helicopter, but the program got cancelled years ago. If the images above are close to true, then it's technology derived from the Comanche. I actually saw one on a test flight and I can tell you that I have never heard anything that sounded like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan View Post
This really sucks, because the parts that are left are in the hands of Pakistan, and could be sent to the Chinese. If our leaders had any brains they'd demand the parts back or the Pakistani's get no more aid.
Looking at the pictures, the only thing that could be gathered from what's left is the special paint composition (if it is a special paint like the F-117 and B2) and materials, assuming that it isn't regular aircraft grade aluminum skin.
NoSyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:22 PM   #21
1o.f00t.570rk
Tall Guy

Drives: '11 LS SGM, '96 BK, '88 S10
The probability that the SEALS didn't destroy something critical or important is extremely slim in my mind. While it is definitely possible that they may have left something important, it was likely something that is more complicated than it appears.

Take the gurney flap for instance on spoilers. Nobody understood what it was for a long time and so even though they duplicated it, they didn't know what it was doing and as such didn't understand the benefit of having it, and sometimes made changes to it which negatively impacted the intent of the element.

From an engineering standpoint, even if you have a fully functioning copy of a competitor's product, it doesn't guarantee that you'll understand even the basic physical design and what does or doesn't make it work. That's why I would be more worried about keeping track of the engineers and scientists who do know how it works more so than about the bits and pieces they left behind in Pakistan.
1o.f00t.570rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:30 PM   #22
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Id say the communication equipment would be a big info target if survived, stuff they use has to be 10x what we could wish for. If your talking black ops unknown aircraft. Its gonna be well beyond standard issue.
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:21 PM   #23
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I wondered why a perfectly good helicopter would just "stall" then "hit a wall"

If it was some sort of prototype, I can see that. Prototypes are always buggy as crap! Good thing they blew most everything up!
Old 05-05-2011, 04:30 PM   #24
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
something to note.

taking small arms fire... so obviously we're speculating.... but..

helicopters are under enormous stresses when transitioning from forward flight to hover... you are basically beating the air into submission to keep the aircraft from smacking the ground which is what it is trying to do. couple that with the fact that it was Hot, heavy, and out of ground effect.. a simpey hydraulic line failure or an engine failure, would cause it to land hard... in this scenario the aircraft was probably not in a single engine state, so if an engine flamed out while transitioning into his hover he'd have to plant it... now way he could lift out under single engine power...

Now, could small arms fire have contributed to the cause of the mechanical failure...

I guess we'll never know...
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:00 PM   #25
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Quote:
something to note.

taking small arms fire... so obviously we're speculating.... but..
Thats the issue now kinda, as it seem to be the same old situation.

The original story has now changed. News org's are saying there was no firefight, they got the drop on them and no one had a gun now.
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:32 PM   #26
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
One thing is for sure, our armed forces (or certain groups within rather) have a hell of a lot of weapons tech that we've never seen before. I'm not saying there's some big conspiracy with plasma rifles or any stupid crap like that, but think about the fact that the f-22 came out in what, 1997? In 1997 I was on a Mac with half the computing capacity of my current cell phone.
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:42 PM   #27
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
True or not, it's a fairly interesting concept.
I have no doubt it is true. The Army has been toying with a stealth helo for years. The Commanche may have been cut but stealth capability for inserting Special Ops is a no brainer.

Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:54 PM   #28
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I wouldn't be surprised if there is a handful of modified Pavehawks that have reduced IR, radar, and acoustic signatures. I'm doubtful that there is a new class of stealth utility helicopters that the US is operating though.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote