Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 05-09-2011, 01:45 AM   #57
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgenz28 View Post
We do need stealth for copters, but im sure its like the stealth bomber.
if your within eyeball range, its not a Hudini ship. [sight or sound]

Id love to see some big advancements in copters though,
we need one as armored as our best tank but as nimble as a bumblebee
[which also by the physics should not be able to fly].

Let them be able to fly in low and slow and take all the small to med arms fire they want to toss as it and not even need to bat and eye. Just sit there n let em use up ammo, then fire a rocket up their..............
No, it won't disappear but if you can cut the minimum detection distance in half its a lot easier to go un-noticed.

As for your 'airborne tank' ... the Apache does have some strategically placed armour and I think its resistant to most small arms fire (not impervious like a tank, but able to take a few hits without issue), with some areas resistant to light AAA. Built in redundancies increase its survivability in case important systems take damage. Not exactly sure how nimble it is, but nimble enough to fly down a river valley ... lined with trees. It also has a gun that is linked to the pilots head movement. He looks where he wants to shoot then squeezes off 30mm rounds. That gun is also a much more effective countermeasure to small arms fire than waiting for them to reload.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:31 AM   #58
Ovenmitt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 RJT 1SS
Send a message via AIM to Ovenmitt
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
No, it won't disappear but if you can cut the minimum detection distance in half its a lot easier to go un-noticed.

As for your 'airborne tank' ... the Apache does have some strategically placed armour and I think its resistant to most small arms fire (not impervious like a tank, but able to take a few hits without issue), with some areas resistant to light AAA. Built in redundancies increase its survivability in case important systems take damage. Not exactly sure how nimble it is, but nimble enough to fly down a river valley ... lined with trees. It also has a gun that is linked to the pilots head movement. He looks where he wants to shoot then squeezes off 30mm rounds. That gun is also a much more effective countermeasure to small arms fire than waiting for them to reload.

The gun being linked to the helmets generates comedy among mechanics Hey man cut that shit out LOL
Ovenmitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:29 PM   #59
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
What's funny to me is that...

We're using super-high-tech flying machines to come in stealth and take out high-level targets. These high-level targets don't exactly have radar or night-vision or infrared. Their radar consists of some punk kids sitting a block away in every direction with walkie talkies. So, in relation to the high-value targets, we only need something that's quiet on approach until it's practically in the compound. Paint it flat black (or some other dark color, which they already do) and it just blends into the night sky.

The only reason we need these helicopters with minimal radar and IR signatures is to avoid detection by the host countries technology. Which I also find funny because they're supposedly our "ally," but that's an entirely different conversation...

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #60
aldaron327
Onward and Upward.

Drives: '13 Equinox LTZ AWD,'09 Silverado
Send a message via MSN to aldaron327 Send a message via Yahoo to aldaron327
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
Coming from a former Navy Helo crewman who was able to work with Navy SEALs on Combat SAR training...

You'd be surprised what we can do do minimize the sound signature on approach...

Now in a hover that's a differnt story... you are obviously most vulnerable and noisy when in a hover.
As a former AH-64D Pilot, I'm familiar with many of the "techniques" you elude to as I used them on a daily(Nightly) basis to hunt IED emplacers and other "nefarious riff-raff" in Iraq, but no technology can make a helicopter "whisper quiet", especially when it's a quiet night. It's physically impossible. You have a main rotor turning at Hundreds of RPM, and a tail rotor turning much faster than that. Then, there are the engines whose turbines are turning at thousands of RPM and burning fuel and air.

Again, I'm not saying that you can't do some things to mitigate some of the noise/radar signature, but helicopters can never be as stealthy as a "stealth" jet simply because they are rotary wing aircraft vs. a fixed wing as in an F-22 or the B-2.

*NOTE: This isn't intended for the purposes of showing off, getting into a pissing contest, or proving someone else wrong. I'm not talking about this stuff for that. I just want to ensure that technical facts are accurate (to a point...). As always, I have nothing but respect for all of you guys, but wanted to make sure that the "cockpit" perspective made it into the discussion since this is what I did for a living for a decade. Please read on...*

I also wanted to point out that a Helicopter's Rotor system doesn't maintain an absolutely constant speed. I'll give you a "For Example" from my own personal experience as a former pilot.

An Apache Longbow (AH-64D) has a main rotor that turns at a certain RPM. Within the cockpit, we had a "triple tach" that displayed the rotor speed (represented as %NR) and the Power turbine speed (represented as %NP). When we were sitting at idle with both engine power levers to fly, we had an NP and NR speed at 101%. Depending on several factors, including how much collective we pulled in, what our bank angle was, how hot it was outside, how heavy the aircraft was, etc., it was possible to underspeed or overspeed the rotor. As a young pilot, I learned pretty quickly how easy that is to do, but managed to not crash or die or do any damage to an aircraft. I was lucky. There are obviously systems built into the modern airframes that try to keep the engines and rotor "tied together", i.e. provide more power to turn the rotor as forces act against it (i.e. a HOT day in Afghanistan with the max weapons load an aircraft could carry), but a pilot still had to maintain a watchful eye to ensure that everything stayed "in the green", especially when environmental considerations came into play.

So umm... yeah... Helicopter Stuff...
MODS: CAI by CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-Back, DBA 5000 Slotted/Cross-drilled rotors (Front), Hawk HPS Pads, Russell Braided Brake Lines, DBA 4000 Slotted/Cross-drilled rotors (Rear), Barton Short-Throw Shifter, UM Comp Extractor Hood & Gen I Spoiler, custom paint

Last edited by aldaron327; 05-09-2011 at 01:05 PM. Reason: More helicopter stuff...
aldaron327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:07 PM   #61
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovenmitt View Post
The gun being linked to the helmets generates comedy among mechanics Hey man cut that shit out LOL
tell me about it. I remember blocking in my first apache.... I kept moving to one side... the gun kept following me....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
What's funny to me is that...

We're using super-high-tech flying machines to come in stealth and take out high-level targets. These high-level targets don't exactly have radar or night-vision or infrared. Their radar consists of some punk kids sitting a block away in every direction with walkie talkies. So, in relation to the high-value targets, we only need something that's quiet on approach until it's practically in the compound. Paint it flat black (or some other dark color, which they already do) and it just blends into the night sky.

The only reason we need these helicopters with minimal radar and IR signatures is to avoid detection by the host countries technology. Which I also find funny because they're supposedly our "ally," but that's an entirely different conversation...
the other side of that argument is that who knows what kind of secret tunnels might have been built into the "mansion" that if we had come in "loud and proud" that Bin Laden could have dived down a tunnel and escaped. wouldnt be the first time a high level target has used such means to evade capture.

as for the host countries... no comment... But I agree with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldaron327 View Post
As a former AH-64D Pilot, I'm familiar with many of the "techniques" you elude to as I used them on a daily(Nightly) basis to hunt IED emplacers and other "nefarious riff-raff" in Iraq, but no technology can make a helicopter "whisper quiet", especially when it's a quiet night. It's physically impossible. You have a main rotor turning at Hundreds of RPM, and a tail rotor turning much faster than that. Then, there are the engines whose turbines are turning at thousands of RPM and burning fuel and air.

Again, I'm not saying that you can't do some things to mitigate some of the noise/radar signature, but helicopters can never be as stealthy as a "stealth" jet simply because they are rotary wing aircraft vs. a fixed wing as in an F-22 or the B-2.
the other thing with fixed wing (and using your two planes as examples), you wont ever hear a B-2 on a bombing run. you might hear a whistle before you turn into jelly from the 2000lb'er that just obliterated your building. but you wont hear the plane. no need to fly that low anymore with laser guided munitions.

same goes with the F22, it can lock onto a target from a mile(+) away, fire, and turn around and head out and the missile will continue onto its intended target while the F22 heads home or onto the next target.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:39 PM   #62
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
tell me about it. I remember blocking in my first apache.... I kept moving to one side... the gun kept following me....
I'm picturing the "new guy" going to drop the blocks, the pilot with a sh*t-eating grin on his face watching the "new guy's" every move, and the "new guy" getting on his coms to tell anyone who's listening to tell the pilot to quit it

Quote:
the other side of that argument is that who knows what kind of secret tunnels might have been built into the "mansion" that if we had come in "loud and proud" that Bin Laden could have dived down a tunnel and escaped. wouldnt be the first time a high level target has used such means to evade capture.

as for the host countries... no comment... But I agree with you
Right, we don't need guy's on bull-horns yelling, "We gon' get you!!" but we don't really need something that sounds like a Chevy Volt either...

Quote:
the other thing with fixed wing (and using your two planes as examples), you wont ever hear a B-2 on a bombing run. you might hear a whistle before you turn into jelly from the 2000lb'er that just obliterated your building. but you wont hear the plane. no need to fly that low anymore with laser guided munitions.

same goes with the F22, it can lock onto a target from a mile(+) away, fire, and turn around and head out and the missile will continue onto its intended target while the F22 heads home or onto the next target.
That's the real advantage of the B-2 and F-22. The stealth factor is cool and all, but the fact that they (the F-22's) have the technology to "see" incoming bogeys that are literally hidden behind the curvature of the Earth (i.e. they haven't even come up above the horizon yet) is just freakin' mind-boggling. And the B-2's are so awesome because of how far they can travel on one tank of gas and at what altitudes they can cruise at comfortably.

That's why you hardly see any movies like "Top Gun" anymore. There is literally no other country on Earth that has the military technology that could stand even the slightest chance against ours. There's just no contest anymore. That's why you always see movies now where the Americans have to fight aliens

Old 05-09-2011, 01:43 PM   #63
ViperTomcat
Banned

Drives: 2011 Avenger Heat
Quote:
That's why you hardly see any movies like "Top Gun" anymore. There is literally no other country on Earth that has the military technology that could stand even the slightest chance against ours. There's just no contest anymore. That's why you always see movies now where the Americans have to fight aliens
Russia and India both have aircraft and technology that would pitch a great fight, and the Israeli's set the standard for not-to-be-****ed-with.
ViperTomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:11 PM   #64
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperTomcat View Post
Russia and India both have aircraft and technology that would pitch a great fight, and the Israeli's set the standard for not-to-be-****ed-with.
but you forget what we don't see, think of the best of the best stuff you know they have, and a black projects are already years ahead of it. But future tech needs to be suppresed for many years, to keep that advantage, as soon as something comes out for real, they copy it somehow.

why the Gov position is there iare no UFO's
[ unidentified flying object ]
They know what it is
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 03:06 PM   #65
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperTomcat View Post
Russia and India both have aircraft, yes. And they both have technology, yes.

But not in the same sentence And certainly not in the same atmosphere as what the U.S. has (both public and behind closed doors)

Israel's got some very well-trained ground troops, and I would assume that carries over into their air force as well. But if our alliance was ever jeopardized and Israel tried to fight the U.S., we would destroy them just in sheer numbers

My only fear when it comes to military threats, really, is China. They might not have the same level of technology as we do, but they're close and they have a VERY large population that they're not afraid to throw at a problem... (see: Olympic games )

Old 05-09-2011, 03:53 PM   #66
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
dont forget we are selling the F35 Joint strike fighter to all of our "allies" while we keep the F22. its like the maro compared to the vette
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:03 PM   #67
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

I had an Air Force guy saying he preferred flying in the F-18 saying they were still more dominant than the F-22's or F-35's.

I wanted to ask him if he was on crack, but I decided not to bother with it

Old 05-09-2011, 06:00 PM   #68
SSBUSDRVR

Drives: '11 2SS/RS IBM/BLK M6
Quote:
I had an Air Force guy saying he preferred flying in the F-18 saying they were still more dominant than the F-22's or F-35's.

I wanted to ask him if he was on crack, but I decided not to bother with it
Comes down to the pilot. The SuperHornet can hold it's own and has taken out the F-22 in training exercises.Highly contested but there is HUD proof. Google it in your spare time it's a pretty hot subject. LOL

ProCharger Stage II D1X Race ,Monster Triple,Alky Control Meth Inj, Forgestar F14 Drag Version and a bunch of other blah blah blah.838/688 at 12lbs Street Friendly
SSBUSDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:01 PM   #69
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
My only fear when it comes to military threats, really, is China. They might not have the same level of technology as we do, but they're close and they have a VERY large population that they're not afraid to throw at a problem... (see: Olympic games )
"Quantity has a quality all its own"
-Joseph Stalin
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:02 PM   #70
nova

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, VR, PW, WR
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldaron327 View Post
The trick with suppressing the acoustic signature of a helicopter is not so much suppressing the overall noise level but reducing the sounds that scream "HELICOPTER INBOUND" to people on the ground.

Blade tip vortex interference, interference beats due to tail rotor and main rotor vortex interference and a host of other effects produce an acoustic signature that is unmistakably a helicopter to anybody who's ever heard one in the past.

If you can modify and/or mitigate those sounds, people on the ground will hear you, but it won't click in their brain that what they're hearing is a helicopter. The scissored tail rotor on the Apache is pretty simple way to get a fairly significant signature reduction/change.

The things I'm seeing in that stealth helicopters tail rotor go waaay beyond that. At least 5 blades with an odd spacing, the shroud that looks Comanche derived, blade chord that looks like it increases towards the tip. All way beyond my aerodynamic knowledge so I won't even venture a guess what the combined effect is.

Knew I'd find a more useful purpose for this damn aero engineering degree besides holding a desk chair down....

Mods:
skip shift eliminator (hey everybody's gotta start somewhere )
crappily painted engine cover...
nova is offline   Reply With Quote