Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #15
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
OP Nice to see you have completed your power quest. Great numbers from a mild cam.

Did those coil overs improve your track times? And does your tune raise the rev limit?

Next move that washer bottle out of the way and get a scoop for another 3 HP.

And Boss 302s should have been afraid of your stock 1LE.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #16
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Orange, nice numbers! I'm going to be spec'ing a road course cam soon myself, probably at Lethal Racing during the Texas Fest! Did you have Synergy do the install or did you do it yourself? What makes a cam grind more suited to road course use? Less lift more duration? Do you have any videos of the idle sound?

What is it with an HV oil pump that isn't good for road course use? What type of oil pump should be used?
I think it may have to do with the amount of oil a H/V can pump, starving the pan/bottom of the engine of oil during extreme driving.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:49 PM   #17
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
Orange, nice numbers! I'm going to be spec'ing a road course cam soon myself, probably at Lethal Racing during the Texas Fest! Did you have Synergy do the install or did you do it yourself? What makes a cam grind more suited to road course use? Less lift more duration? Do you have any videos of the idle sound?
Thanks, I was really surprised at the big gains without sacrificing driveability. I'm fortunate that Synergy is 20 miles from me. Rick is well known in NorCal for his engine building and dyno tuning expertise, so I put my trust in him to do just that and he delivered. As I understand it, the trick is to design the cam so that it doesn't abuse the valve springs. Valve springs on a typical big cam that is used on a road course need to be replaced at least every season, or more often if you blow a couple of shifts. The cam profiles on this cam are more gradual. And the slightly lower lift of this cam is to prevent the valves from colliding with the pistons if you over-rev, which is easy to do on the track with so much going on. There's probably a lot more to it than that, I'll let the experts chime in if they have anything to add.

Here's the thing- The dyno results show that I didn't have to sacrifice much HP at all to achieve this improved longevity. This is an impressive cam.

I don't have any vids yet, but it sounds mean. Not extremely lumpy, but nicely cammed. I wore out the stock pads after just two track weekends, so it's in getting track pads and stainless brake lines now, but I may get a chance to video the idle in a couple of weeks before my next track outing at Buttonwillow
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:02 PM   #18
Orange Crush 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
OP Nice to see you have completed your power quest. Great numbers from a mild cam.

Did those coil overs improve your track times? And does your tune raise the rev limit?

Next move that washer bottle out of the way and get a scoop for another 3 HP.

And Boss 302s should have been afraid of your stock 1LE.
Thanks man! Rev limiter is bumped up to 6,800 RPM. Unfortunately I don't have any before/after times with the coilovers, and I'll tell you that it kicked ass stock too. My stock 1LE was faster than a number of Boss 302s at Thunderhill except for this one Boss 302 Laguna Seca. But he came in on a trailer, his engine was modded and he had R compounds. I hope to have a rematch soon, now that I've got a little extra power

And I'll be running some monstrous NT-01 315/30-18's front and rear next outing too. Good times ahead!
Old 10-07-2013, 01:04 AM   #19
Synner

Drives: cars
Quote:

What is it with an HV oil pump that isn't good for road course use? What type of oil pump should be used?
Ramp rates are gentler, lower overall lift, more duration. Stock oil pump or melling with the stock pressure spring. There is no benefit to running a high volume on these cars anyways. Road racing it will heat the oil more and increases likelihood of running the pan dry. Although in these tanks you will likely need slicks to get there.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #20
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE View Post
Thanks, I was really surprised at the big gains without sacrificing driveability. I'm fortunate that Synergy is 20 miles from me. Rick is well known in NorCal for his engine building and dyno tuning expertise, so I put my trust in him to do just that and he delivered. As I understand it, the trick is to design the cam so that it doesn't abuse the valve springs. Valve springs on a typical big cam that is used on a road course need to be replaced at least every season, or more often if you blow a couple of shifts. The cam profiles on this cam are more gradual. And the slightly lower lift of this cam is to prevent the valves from colliding with the pistons if you over-rev, which is easy to do on the track with so much going on. There's probably a lot more to it than that, I'll let the experts chime in if they have anything to add.

Here's the thing- The dyno results show that I didn't have to sacrifice much HP at all to achieve this improved longevity. This is an impressive cam.

I don't have any vids yet, but it sounds mean. Not extremely lumpy, but nicely cammed. I wore out the stock pads after just two track weekends, so it's in getting track pads and stainless brake lines now, but I may get a chance to video the idle in a couple of weeks before my next track outing at Buttonwillow
Looks like this is the type of cam I'm looking for! Durability, good power, not too radical and nice idle (I'll take your word for it till I hear a video clip, lol!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Ramp rates are gentler, lower overall lift, more duration. Stock oil pump or melling with the stock pressure spring. There is no benefit to running a high volume on these cars anyways. Road racing it will heat the oil more and increases likelihood of running the pan dry. Although in these tanks you will likely need slicks to get there.
Thanks for the info! I'm a newb at cams so I'm starting to do my research before it's time to drop the hammer on one!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:00 PM   #21
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Orange, I forgot to mention that I LOVE your engine covers! Here's mine!
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #22
Orange Crush 1LE

Quote:
Orange, I forgot to mention that I LOVE your engine covers! Here's mine!
Thanks Mike, I see great minds think alike! It's nice to be able to pop the hood and no longer cringe at the sight of the cheap stock plastic engine cover, isn't it?
Old 10-07-2013, 09:36 PM   #23
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Quote:
Thanks Mike, I see great minds think alike! It's nice to be able to pop the hood and no longer cringe at the sight of the cheap stock plastic engine cover, isn't it?
Agreed! I get a lot of compliments when I open the hood!
Old 10-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #24
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
Quote:
Agreed! I get a lot of compliments when I open the hood!
What's sad is I have the same Covers as you guys, just in CGM, and when I saw your car at the Fest, I got jealous! Everything under your hood is tasteful and looks like it should be OEM. Well done sir!
Old 10-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #25
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Thanks man! Rev limiter is bumped up to 6,800 RPM. Unfortunately I don't have any before/after times with the coilovers, and I'll tell you that it kicked ass stock too. My stock 1LE was faster than a number of Boss 302s at Thunderhill except for this one Boss 302 Laguna Seca. But he came in on a trailer, his engine was modded and he had R compounds. I hope to have a rematch soon, now that I've got a little extra power

And I'll be running some monstrous NT-01 315/30-18's front and rear next outing too. Good times ahead!
Jeez! You really been upping the ante.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:10 AM   #26
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3 SS View Post
What's sad is I have the same Covers as you guys, just in CGM, and when I saw your car at the Fest, I got jealous! Everything under your hood is tasteful and looks like it should be OEM. Well done sir!
Thanks man!
Old 10-08-2013, 06:34 AM   #27
Blk-Ice
750HP of Twisted Reaper!

Drives: Blk 2SS/Blk Carb Fibr NS-1 stripes
Nice Bro!
Old 10-26-2013, 08:15 AM   #28
sdmbdad71

Drives: 2013 VR 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP
Great build and an impressive car for sure! I'm just a little jealous.

A cam from Synergy may have just made it on my short list. Is there any reason that it wouldn't make a good choice as street cam? My car will only see 1 or 2 track days per year, but I would love to have the added power and keep it a track capable car.

If you get a chance, please post a vid of your exhaust at idle, I would love to hear what it sounds like and I'm sure some others would too.
sdmbdad71 is offline   Reply With Quote