Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 04-20-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
Soiledflame

Drives: 2016 1LT
Thumbs up V6 Trifecta Tuning

***UPDATE***

Installed the Trifecta tune this weekend.

The tune was easy to perform (I followed both videos by Baylor and BNR).

I data logged 3 WOT passes 0-100 mph, and about 10 min of regular driving and sent them back to BNR. I haven't heard of anyone needing more tunning, but I guess its possible?

My biggest impression is the shift points on the Auto. Im actually chirping the tires from gears 1-3, wearing the 20' RS w/ PZero's and traction control off. I usually launch with the traction on, but then disable it in 2nd.

Ghost cam feature is neat. I have a few friends that have the V8's and never really new about it, they thought it was cool. I have it on aggressive currently but dont think its aggressive enough. It does shake the car quite a bit though I remote started the car today to test the ghost cam, but it didnt come on right away even after fast idle, maybe after driving?

Camaro is feeling more aggressive and not sluggish. Not sure if thats the combination of all the mods and the tune or just tunning in general. My mpg is down a bit, but thats probably because Im having too much fun!

I want to personally thank Jerry from BNR and Vince from Trifecta on offering this to the V6 community.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Im going to order a tune from BNR using the Trifecta tune, as I dont think Hypertech/Diablo will produce anything customized for our LLT in the future.

What is considered safe everyday driving tunning and what is considered drag strip only? If you are tunned already, please list if you went all out extreme or mild/wild.

Based on my bolt ons, I want to know what the selectives are for the Trifecta tune for a V6 Auto. I currently have a GMRP exhaust, Pace headers, VR cai, VMax TB.

Thanks for any input. Quick shoutout to BMore, Pregner, Blade, Rod1, Morph, Smoke, PT, Gretch, Dark, RT, Scrming; I have been lurking forever here and haven't said anything but really appreciate your threads.

Last edited by Soiledflame; 05-08-2012 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Tune installed
Soiledflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
Soiledflame

Also, the amount of fuel I'm smelling inside the car, I could light a match and probably combust. I have had a CEL for about 2 weeks, and it has not permanently gone away yet. Although, I did try a fuse pull and battery disconnect, but with no success.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
You need to swing by an Autozone or other national car part store and have them read that code for ya.

Either your TB or headers must have a leak. The code will give you a place to start looking and you'd want to clear those before tuning.

I don't have an automatic and not interested in the "ghost cam", so I'll leave it to someone else to give you some tune details .
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:49 PM   #4
Soiledflame

Hi Vent, thanks for your input. I live near an Autozone/O'Riley's, and I'll see what they can scan for me. Any preference in auto stores?

The TB is my newest mod, and that was when I started smelling the fuel so strongly.

My biggest question, does clearing a code actually fix a problem? I was under the impression that a tune could correct my AFR problems (if thats really the case).

I have triple checked my installs on all parts and it seems ok.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
Ventmaster

Don't have a preference, but I'm sure Autozone will look at it for you, but won't clear it. Be sure to get the code- like P043 or something like it.

Clearing codes won't fix the problem, but can tell us what needs fixed.
Sometimes an install (like the TB) will trigger a code, but they're usually false alarms that will stay cleared.

If it comes back, then you've got a problem.

Is the car running well? Any other issues besides the smell?
Old 04-21-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
Soiledflame

I started up the camaro this morning to go over to the zone and get the code read, and also get some oil, but my cel is no longer appearing.

Im not sure how permanent it will be, as maybe it will come back. When it does I'll get it read asap and post up here again.

Car is running good, and Im not smelling the gas nearly as much too.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:40 PM   #7
Ventmaster

Good news! Hopefully you're good to go now.

Follow up with the Trifecta, you'll be glad you did. In many ways you've got more to gain with the automatic trans!

Call BNR's contact # and ask for advice. They're a sharp group and will direct you well. And you can always change any settings you decide aren't right for you- no charge.

They'll just e-mail a new file to you, that you download to the car and be on your (rapid) way...
Old 04-21-2012, 12:51 PM   #8
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
As of right now there's no stage tunes such as say bama tunes for mustangs where you can choose race, street, etc... the LLT in the camaro is somewhat optimized from the factory which make it very hard to tune. Still trying tho..
The safety level with the tune is nothing to worry about. No one has yet to blow their camaro engine from trifecta's tune. For you auto guys you do get more options with the tranny tune. Now you could have different shift firmness setting for normal daily driving or track days and such.
Not sure if you still have onstar or not but they can tell you what is the CEL code next time you get one. If is gone than dont worry about it. If is a problem it will come back on.
Sent from my VTAB1008 using Tapatalk 2
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #9
Soiledflame

Update, the CEL came back today and I was able to get it read quickly. The code is P0140, something O2 sensor related the green scanner said.

I have stock cats, but the shorty headers never threw a cel (car has 6k miles now, 3k since header install).

Should I mention this when I order the tune from BNR?
Old 04-26-2012, 12:34 PM   #10
BNRacing

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE, 2019 Camaro 2.0
Yes, when we ask you what mods you have, tell us you have headers. We will adjust your tune accordingly.
BNRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:18 PM   #11
Soiledflame

Already ordered, but thanks for the quick response Jerry! Im guessing shipping the cable will be 2-5 days?
Old 04-26-2012, 09:15 PM   #12
BNRacing

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE, 2019 Camaro 2.0
cable will ship tomorrow and i already have your tune
BNRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:31 PM   #13
mycamaro2011

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Victory Red
BNR is that special $315 with free cable deal coming out again?
mycamaro2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:06 AM   #14
Out4it
Banned

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycamaro2011 View Post
BNR is that special $315 with free cable deal coming out again?
Vince from Trifecta sets when it goes on sale.
Out4it is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cai, camaro, camaro5, trifecta, tune