Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Garage / Tools Discussions

Old 01-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #1
Camaro_Firebird

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS black 6 speed
Greg Smith Atlas Pro 9000 lift - extra wide, extra tall

I bought a Greg Smith Atlas Pro 9000 four-post lift for the garage. For the money I'm happy with it for the most part, but I have some advice for anyone who chooses to go this route.

First, have it delivered. I rented a truck and trailer and that was a big mistake. The thing is huge and took two forklifts just to get it on the trailer. If I were to do it again I'd rent a forklift.

The manual is a joke. None of the figures are referenced, so you can't really tell what they're talking about (see fig 3)... which one is Fig 3? The manual also assumes you have an overhead crane to assemble it. The manual basically tells you to the following:
Step 1 - assemble the lift.
End.

The parts are not well padded in the humongous crate. There were numerous scratches and the bolts had broken out of the bag and were scattered. I called them up and sent pictures and they were nice about it and compensated me for the issues, so the customer service is actually good.

I had to figure out how to put this thing together and ditched the directions pretty early on. Start with the cross members and fit them into the posts. You will need an engine hoist. I put this together myself, but there were some scary moments as the rails are uber heavy.

What they don't tell you is that each post has to be vertical for this lift to go all the way up. Before you lift up, you have to wiggle the posts to make sure they're straight. If you don't, the lift will bind and pop the 20A breaker. They say you don't have to have it mounted with bolts in the floor, but you pretty much have to.

The casters work well and it moves easily. The locking mechanisms are good and I feel safe under it. It is extra wide, which is nice, and extra tall, but I had to remove the garage door opener to get my 69 Bird on it.

all in all I'd say I'm happy with it, but again, you'd better be good at figuring things out because the instruction manual is lame. I'll post a how-to when I have time as I took pictures while I put it together.

Last edited by Camaro_Firebird; 01-23-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Camaro_Firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #2
GARYSSS

Drives: 2010 2SSRS M6 Rally Yellow
Thanks, I've been wanting to get one, but haven't got around to it.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
Dr. Evil

Drives: 2013 SS
I purchased mine used from a local shop that was upgrading thiers. I brought it home on my utility trailer and put it up with no directions, just a bunch of parts in a box. Mine is a two post though so made it easier. I was able to help with the disassembly at the shop which helped me alot when I got it to the house. You are right though, you do need a degree of ability to figure things out. Congrats on yours and I'm sure you're gonna love it. I know I do mine. I dont use it all the time but when I do its really handy. BTW, I see the 69 bird on the lift but is that a 67 bird vert I see there to the left? It looks like it has the 400 hood as well. I really want another 1st gen bird, preferably a 67 or 68.
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
Camaro_Firebird

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS black 6 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
I purchased mine used from a local shop that was upgrading thiers. I brought it home on my utility trailer and put it up with no directions, just a bunch of parts in a box. Mine is a two post though so made it easier. I was able to help with the disassembly at the shop which helped me alot when I got it to the house. You are right though, you do need a degree of ability to figure things out. Congrats on yours and I'm sure you're gonna love it. I know I do mine. I dont use it all the time but when I do its really handy. BTW, I see the 69 bird on the lift but is that a 67 bird vert I see there to the left? It looks like it has the 400 hood as well. I really want another 1st gen bird, preferably a 67 or 68.
Thanks, it is a nice lift and I'll be able to store more cars with one under it. The bird on the left is another 69. The white one is a 69 350 HO automatic that was originally Champagne with a green interior and green top. The silver one is a 69 Palladium silver 4-speed 350 HO convertible. The hood isn't original to the car, but it's how I bought it.

Funny thing about the 69's, I love driving an old car, but now that I have a 2010 SS, I like driving it more. More power and air bags and the stick is a blast. Then again, nothing like the sound of an old Pontiac.
Camaro_Firebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:58 PM   #5
Dr. Evil

Drives: 2013 SS
I love me some old Poncho's. There is something to be said about having heat/air, cruise, quiet comfy ride, great brakes, handling etc etc. I was torn between getting a 1st gen or early 2nd gen but decided the wife and son would be better served with a new one. I'd spend just as much to make it handle, stop and turn as well as a new one and while it would look great it wouldnt be as good at drives over 30 minutes as the new one. Doing car events as a family is the whole point to me. My son is 7 and he fits in the back fine so far.
I had a 69 that I purchased as a shell no drivetrain project. I replaced the trunk and floor pans, most of the interior and threw in an old 400/th350 out of a bonneville then promptly sold it. I regret doing that now and wish I had another. Its very close but I like the look of the 67 with the vent window and the front bumper of the 67-68 more but I still like a well done 69. You've got a nice collection there and the lift will be a huge help with work and freeing up space. I cant tell you how much you'll appreciate your lift till you R/R a transmission or a fuel tank with it. You'll wonder how you got by without it. I wouldnt even consider replacing a fuel pump, clutch or transmission without it. Heck, even on brake jobs its a snap. I did my ZL1 grill replacement on my SS with it in under 90 minutes.
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote