Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 03-18-2014, 02:51 PM   #841
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
2 Turbo 101 questions:
  1. If the exhaust back pressure changes, i.e. I add cats post turbo, do I need a re-tune?
  2. If I get some sort of boost controller (mostly to lower the everyday boost) does each boost level require a separate tune?
Old 03-18-2014, 02:53 PM   #842
stevieturbo

Drives: it changes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
2 Turbo 101 questions:
  1. If the exhaust back pressure changes, i.e. I add cats post turbo, do I need a re-tune?
  2. If I get some sort of boost controller (mostly to lower the everyday boost) does each boost level require a separate tune?
1. Yes you should at least have the tune checked, depending how restrictive they are, changes may need made.

2. The ecu should be tuned for all operating conditions you would expect to use, and sensible precautions taken for anywhere beyond that.
Once that tuning has taken place, you can select boost levels within that range at any time.
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:21 PM   #843
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
1. Yes you should at least have the tune checked, depending how restrictive they are, changes may need made.

2. The ecu should be tuned for all operating conditions you would expect to use, and sensible precautions taken for anywhere beyond that.
Once that tuning has taken place, you can select boost levels within that range at any time.
Thanks! I have seen many ways to control boost but that question kept nagging me. So the boost controller is on the car at the time of the tune and the safe range is set. Got it.

Since I will be getting the AEM wideband gauge maybe I also can learn more about tuning.

And where did you find a road to top 200 mph in Ireland?
Old 03-18-2014, 05:25 PM   #844
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Tune may need checked, but I doubt anything will change. Basically have it tuned for whatever you can max out, say 10psi, then checked at 8, 6psi or whatever. If adding cats drops boost from 10 to 8 then you are already tuned for 8psi. The maf or map sensor will detect the different airflow and adjust fueling accordingly. Only time you really need a retune would say now you want to run 12psi and have never been tuned there or you change something else like the cam/etc.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:35 PM   #845
stevieturbo

Drives: it changes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Thanks! I have seen many ways to control boost but that question kept nagging me. So the boost controller is on the car at the time of the tune and the safe range is set. Got it.

Since I will be getting the AEM wideband gauge maybe I also can learn more about tuning.

And where did you find a road to top 200 mph in Ireland?
An EBC only controls boost. Your tuner will need to run the car at all boost levels you intend to use, and must tune for them accordingly.
Once the full range of boost, rpm, etc etc are mapped, then you can select any at any time.

Wasnt in Ireland I'm afraid, was at Woodbridge airforce base in England. Just isnt anywhere here to have a go at that
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:44 AM   #846
RolltideSS

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
AGP - Complete TT Kit - Preview Pics!! **Dyno Sheet & Video **

Why does the site say a stock cam should use a -8 psi spring in the BOV While an aftermarket cam should use -6 psi? If I am planning to run 8-9 psi (gas only, 12-14 with a meth kit) with an aftermarket cam then wouldn't I want an 8 psi spring?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
RolltideSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:53 AM   #847
SilverSS1LE

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolltideSS View Post
Why does the site say a stock cam should use a -8 psi spring in the BOV While an aftermarket cam should use -6 psi? If I am planning to run 8-9 psi (gas only, 12-14 with a meth kit) with an aftermarket cam then wouldn't I want an 8 psi spring?

A BOV doesn't control your boost...
Old 11-08-2014, 08:15 AM   #848
Unreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolltideSS View Post

Those are BOV springs, not wastegate springs. You want the BOV open at idle if possible to vent excess air. Stock cam can run a -8 (negative pressure, vacuum) spring and be open, but aftermarket cams don't have as much vacuum so you run a lighter spring. Either way it is no big deal, and either will work, but it can make idle/low throttle tuning easier if you have the correct spring. No effect on WOT, boost, etc.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:51 AM   #849
RolltideSS

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
Those are BOV springs, not wastegate springs. You want the BOV open at idle if possible to vent excess air. Stock cam can run a -8 (negative pressure, vacuum) spring and be open, but aftermarket cams don't have as much vacuum so you run a lighter spring. Either way it is no big deal, and either will work, but it can make idle/low throttle tuning easier if you have the correct spring. No effect on WOT, boost, etc.

That's perfect, didn't realize they were separate things. I did some more reading and it makes sense

RolltideSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:14 PM   #850
mbrusco103

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS (M6) 427 Twin Turbo
AGP - Complete TT Kit - Preview Pics!! **Dyno Sheet & Video **

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake-b View Post
Here is a pic of the CAI setup. I am lowered about an inch and I haven't had any issues with the turbos. The front fascia is another matter altogether as the underside of it bears battle scars.

It normally wouldn't be that dirty in the fenderwell except the transport truck (open trailer) traveled through a winter storm for a couple days and when I picked it up I had to drive just a bit on snow covered roads to get it home. It was too cold to wash it thoroughly. I plan on cleaning it all up and repainting the engine bay while it is down for the new engine.

HELP! Im working on the CAI kit and i bent out the sheet metal like you did. So i think im good there but i dont know how to get it to work on the part not shown in the picture. My issue is the wheel well piece wont fit and it like id have to cut it up. If anyone can shed some light on this that would be wonderful.

2011 Camaro 2SS/RS ERL 427 M6 TT
-AGP Twin Turbo 55/57 .83ar | ERL 427ci | Squash Fuel System | Stainless Works Chambered 3" | Mcleod RXT | Factory Hurst Short Throw | Black Forgestar F14s | CTS V 6 Piston Brembo | VIS AMS Carbon Fiber Hood | Anvil Carbon Fiber Spoiler
mbrusco103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:33 PM   #851
Unreal

Pipes just need adjusted. It will fit.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:43 PM   #852
mbrusco103

Quote:
Pipes just need adjusted. It will fit.

Unreal do you know if the plastic wheel well cover was trimmed at all because it looks like theres no way to get it in without trimming it. Theres a hole where one of the push pins should go in right behind the tube. Unless i routed it completely wrong i dont think i have a choice. Thanks

-AGP Twin Turbo 55/57 .83ar | ERL 427ci | Squash Fuel System | Stainless Works Chambered 3" | Mcleod RXT | Factory Hurst Short Throw | Black Forgestar F14s | CTS V 6 Piston Brembo | VIS AMS Carbon Fiber Hood | Anvil Carbon Fiber Spoiler
Old 11-08-2014, 07:59 PM   #853
Unreal

Call Kevin/AGP, but I don't remember. I think the corner of the plastic where it enters has to be trimmed, but I can't remember for sure.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:04 PM   #854
mbrusco103

Quote:
Call Kevin/AGP, but I don't remember. I think the corner of the plastic where it enters has to be trimmed, but I can't remember for sure.

I just missed them today when i called but ill call them monday. Thanks for your info im 99% sure at this point that your right but ill hold off till i get in touch with them.