Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-28-2015, 02:48 PM   #1
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Remote Start Capability on manual transmission

I'm having a hard time figuring out why this isn't available from Auto Manufacturers yet. Specifically on the 2016 Camaro SS. The rev matching system monitors "shift lever and clutch operation" with this and the electronic parking brake I don't see why this isn't a possibility. Set the parameters that it can only remote start if gear lever position is N and the parking brake is applied. Simple right?

I remember months back listening to Al O. mention that the electronic parking brake was going to allow for some neat abilities in the future. I don't see why this wouldn't be one of them.

What do you guys think? What else might the electronic parking brake allow them to do that they aren't already doing such as hill start assist?

13:50-14:40 mark

Last edited by mjk3888; 12-28-2015 at 03:09 PM.
mjk3888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 02:50 PM   #2
Wolvie70

Drives: 2016 2SS, Summit White, A8, NPP
Camaro since 2013 have hill start assists and it sucks.
Wolvie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 03:01 PM   #3
FlightSoftware

Drives: '95 Corvette, '06 Mustang, 2LT RS
I've never understood the need. A manual on a hill really doesn't take skill, just fearlessness. Well, that and being familiar with where it's going to grab. Never was something I even worried about until a UK friend mentioned they still had to demonstrate use of the parking brake for assist on hills. I was all "whhaaaaa?"

I'd love remote start on the manual, but that would mean trusting the electric parking brake completely. Not sure I would.
FlightSoftware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 03:04 PM   #4
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
I'm having a hard time figuring out why this isn't available from Auto Manufacturers yet. Specifically on the 2016 Camaro SS. The rev matching system monitors "shift lever and clutch operation" with this and the electronic parking brake I don't see why this isn't a possibility. Set the parameters that it can only remote start if gear lever position is N and the parking brake is applied. Simple right?

I remember months back listening to Al O. mention that the electronic parking brake was going to allow for some neat abilities in the future. I don't see why this wouldn't be one of them.

What do you guys think? What else might the electronic parking brake allow them to do that they aren't already doing such as hill start assist?
I have thought about this as well - it is possible with some design and safety measure requirements, but i think the cost to develop just outweighs the demand...not a lot of manual cars these days.

I have some ideas on how to accomplish this, but I'm not an engineer so I really don't know the feasibility of my ideas.
The "manual" remote start systems that exist today are just workarounds and really clunky and I would not be interested in one of those, I would want one as seamless as an auto trans.

I'd be happy to share my ideas with some engineers, Number3...but would have to have some sort of confidentiality agreement in place.

Honestly though, even after conceptualizing it through several variants, I just don't think there's a lot of money to be made...unless you could license it to manufacturers, even then...like I said, not many manual cars out there...and the overseas markets that use a lot of manual...well, a luxury like remote start...probably not big demand - Manufacturers are spending their R&D cash elsewhere.

If I could patent it and get a working model in a car with an electronic brake, for say...10K (times 2 or 3 partners)...hmmm...maybe something to risk.

Oh and I think Al O was referencing Line Lock...just my guess.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:06 PM   #5
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Someone would override something and run over someone and they would sue GM. It sucks but that's more than likely the real answer. I've seen this happen more than once with aftermarket remote start systems on manual cars. I'm really bummed because I would love remote start in this desert.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 03:10 PM   #6
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
but i think the cost to develop just outweighs the demand....
correct....at least that's what the vette guys were told at "Fest" like events....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 03:15 PM   #7
DenverTaco07

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightSoftware View Post
I've never understood the need. A manual on a hill really doesn't take skill, just fearlessness. Well, that and being familiar with where it's going to grab. Never was something I even worried about until a UK friend mentioned they still had to demonstrate use of the parking brake for assist on hills. I was all "whhaaaaa?"

I'd love remote start on the manual, but that would mean trusting the electric parking brake completely. Not sure I would.
Aren't current remote start systems relying on the car being in Park? I mean, if it flakes out and some dude leaves his car in Drive (can you even do that?), then later starts it remotely (the system thinks its in Park)...bye bye??

There are ways to ensure parking brake is engaged and functional...at least one I can think of.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:27 PM   #8
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Quote:
I have thought about this as well - it is possible with some design and safety measure requirements, but i think the cost to develop just outweighs the demand...not a lot of manual cars these days.

I have some ideas on how to accomplish this, but I'm not an engineer so I really don't know the feasibility of my ideas.
The "manual" remote start systems that exist today are just workarounds and really clunky and I would not be interested in one of those, I would want one as seamless as an auto trans.

I'd be happy to share my ideas with some engineers, Number3...but would have to have some sort of confidentiality agreement in place.

Honestly though, even after conceptualizing it through several variants, I just don't think there's a lot of money to be made...unless you could license it to manufacturers, even then...like I said, not many manual cars out there...and the overseas markets that use a lot of manual...well, a luxury like remote start...probably not big demand - Manufacturers are spending their R&D cash elsewhere.

If I could patent it and get a working model in a car with an electronic brake, for say...10K (times 2 or 3 partners)...hmmm...maybe something to risk.

Oh and I think Al O was referencing Line Lock...just my guess.
I don't see how it would take much effort at all. All the parts are there. In my opinion all that's needed is programming. However, if they wanted to be super safe, rig up a contact switch that is only closed by a shifter in the nuetral position for additional safety. That in combination with software recognition of gear position is plenty for me to not be worried.

I think the thought that the manual is a dying breed and the market for a remote start on such a car is too small, is being narrow minded. Also it doesn't quite jive with how they have spent time and money on such a system as Active Rev Matching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
Someone would override something and run over someone and they would sue GM. It sucks but that's more than likely the real answer. I've seen this happen more than once with aftermarket remote start systems on manual cars. I'm really bummed because I would love remote start in this desert.
I know what you mean. Someone could hack in a parking brake override to get a head unit to unlock some functionality, but if its set up right that would just disable your remote start feature. So I don't see any useful reason for someone to override a neutral saftey switch feature. If they did I sure don't see how GM would be held responsible. The only way this would be an issue is if they were afraid of their own equipment failing and having some sort of start with the car in gear.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:46 PM   #9
DenverTaco07

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
I don't see how it would take much effort at all. All the parts are there. In my opinion all that's needed is programming. However, if they wanted to be super safe, rig up a contact switch that is only closed by a shifter in the nuetral position for additional safety. That in combination with software recognition of gear position is plenty for me to not be worried.

I think the thought that the manual is a dying breed and the market for a remote start on such a car is too small, is being narrow minded. Also it doesn't quite jive with how they have spent time and money on such a system as Active Rev Matching.

I know what you mean. Someone could hack in a parking brake override to get a head unit to unlock some functionality, but if its set up right that would just disable your remote start feature. So I don't see any useful reason for someone to override a neutral saftey switch feature. If they did I sure don't see how GM would be held responsible. The only way this would be an issue is if they were afraid of their own equipment failing and having some sort of start with the car in gear.
If the driver is required to leave it in park and with Electronic Brake engaged...I think you are probably right, not that hard to accomplish. The current "Manual" remote start systems today require pretty much the same thing; before the driver exits the car they have to tell it that they want to use remote start next ignition, the idea of adding a safety measure that detects the car is in neutral is good, also eliminate the driver having to go thru 3 or 4 steps prior to turning off would also be a must.

I say a system that requires the driver to do NOTHING at all before getting out and leaving the car parked would be the system I want.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:50 PM   #10
King Sun
Casual Camaro Owner

Drives: 2010 Black LS V6
TBH they proabably don't sell enough manuals to even justify the R&D and the cost.
King Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 04:04 PM   #11
Dr. Love2
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 SS;2010 Camaro SS/RS; 2015 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
Yep! Can't remotely stop stupid!
Dr. Love2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 04:05 PM   #12
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Quote:
If the driver is required to leave it in park and with Electronic Brake engaged...I think you are probably right, not that hard to accomplish. The current "Manual" remote start systems today require pretty much the same thing; before the driver exits the car they have to tell it that they want to use remote start next ignition, the idea of adding a safety measure that detects the car is in neutral is good, also eliminate the driver having to go thru 3 or 4 steps prior to turning off would also be a must.

I say a system that requires the driver to do NOTHING at all before getting out and leaving the car parked would be the system I want.
I agree. No steps should be needed to activate it upon exit of the vehicle. The underlined part of your post shouldn't be required on a factory equipped remote start manual trans car.

It should work like this.
1. Stop car, place in neutral, and activate e-brake. Then exit car.

to start:
1. Press lock button twice. (horn can be programmed to give specified number of honks to notify that the car isn't in neutral or brake is disengaged and won't remote start)
2. If in neutral with brake engaged, Hold remote start for 5 seconds to start car.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:07 PM   #13
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Sun View Post
TBH they proabably don't sell enough manuals to even justify the R&D and the cost.
Then what justified the Active Rev Match system? Much more R&D was needed for that. In fact the ARM system has laid the footing for a safe remote start system. It would add further value to their previous investment.

I bet they sell plenty of Manual Transmission Camaro's and Corvette's to make it worth their while. This would also increase sales. People who want remote start in a manual may choose camaro over mustang or challenger, just like camaro and challenger may be losing customers to mustang who want adaptive cruise control in a manual car. Challenger has it on automatics only.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:26 PM   #14
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
Legal liability. Engineering to account for all possibilities including hacks may not be as feasible as some think and any event could be costly to whatever deep pockets stood at hand.

As to active rev match, I suspect Chevy did not want multiple steering wheels, needed some task for the paddles, and the rest was engineering with little possibility of ten million dollar per event settlements.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote