Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 01-15-2016, 10:52 PM   #1
Zombie killer
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS L99
Michelin PSS only lasted one autoX season :(

Ran these MPSS tires in 2015. Installed new in FEB 2015. I went back and calculated that they have lasted 195 autoX runs , of which 41 runs were on very grippy concrete surfaces and the rest on asphalt. Also ran approx 88 road course miles too , plus maybe a few thousand highway miles during the year. Well, the last two autoX events were on a concrete surface and the tires were not heating up like they need to (prolly heat cycled somewhat) and I was maybe overdriving a tad bit but maybe only made them "shudder" maybe twice from exceeding grip and that's all it took. I run -2.5 camber and about 7 degrees caster upfront and about -1.5 camber in back. The fronts take the most abuse but all 4 are showing signs of chunking the sides. I run at least 34 psi on the concrete as the grip is so good here. Just wondering what others have experienced in sidewall abuse like this on their autoX tires. Wondering if the MPSS have thin side rubber or if it's just that I am abusing them too much.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2016, 06:43 AM   #2
cvp33
America FVCK Yeah!

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
Actually remarkable for a dedicated street tire IMO. The Supersports have a 30K mile treadware warranty, however I've never gotten above 15K. Staggered set means I can't rotate though so that adds to the shortened lifespan.
cvp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:19 AM   #3
DavidCorsaro
Hamfist Racing

Drives: '15 Z/28
LOL, getting 195 runs and an entire season out of a street tire... you should be sending Michelin a "Thank You" gift basket!
Old 01-16-2016, 09:28 AM   #4
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie killer View Post
Ran these MPSS tires in 2015. Installed new in FEB 2015. I went back and calculated that they have lasted 195 autoX runs , of which 41 runs were on very grippy concrete surfaces and the rest on asphalt. Also ran approx 88 road course miles too , plus maybe a few thousand highway miles during the year. Well, the last two autoX events were on a concrete surface and the tires were not heating up like they need to (prolly heat cycled somewhat) and I was maybe overdriving a tad bit but maybe only made them "shudder" maybe twice from exceeding grip and that's all it took. I run -2.5 camber and about 7 degrees caster upfront and about -1.5 camber in back. The fronts take the most abuse but all 4 are showing signs of chunking the sides. I run at least 34 psi on the concrete as the grip is so good here. Just wondering what others have experienced in sidewall abuse like this on their autoX tires. Wondering if the MPSS have thin side rubber or if it's just that I am abusing them too much.
88 miles is about 2 track days for me. The looks of things seems like you can push harder. Get some Nitto NT01s bud.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:46 AM   #5
JRL1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidCorsaro View Post
LOL, getting 195 runs and an entire season out of a street tire... you should be sending Michelin a "Thank You" gift basket!
JRL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:18 AM   #6
ddunerider
So-Cal Race team!!

Drives: Tahoe LTZ,2010 2SS/M6 Camaro
Send a message via AIM to ddunerider
My tires only last maybe 6 months with that kind of abuse but looks like you push pretty hard in the corners. Being smooth in autocross helps makes the tires last.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:19 AM   #7
ddunerider
So-Cal Race team!!

Also if you run a square setup you can rotate the tires front to back that helps them last a lot longer too
Old 01-16-2016, 10:20 AM   #8
ddunerider
So-Cal Race team!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRL1LE View Post
Old 01-16-2016, 04:02 PM   #9
Zombie killer
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddunerider View Post
My tires only last maybe 6 months with that kind of abuse but looks like you push pretty hard in the corners. Being smooth in autocross helps makes the tires last.
I do run a 285 square setup and rotate my tires but the MPSS can't be flipped on the rim like some other autoX tires can. I try to be smooth but I do push the limits of grip and on the concrete airfields we run, it will make you "pay" if you slide the front tires too much. Gonna see how the RS3s in 20" run this year with me being able to flip the tire on the rim.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:21 PM   #10
backeddy
Banned

Drives: 2011 Boxster Spyder (best car ever)
They did not last one session on Laguna seca........Great job getting them to last!
backeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 05:28 PM   #11
backeddy
Banned

Drives: 2011 Boxster Spyder (best car ever)
Quote:
The looks of things seems like you can push harder.
Let's be nice....did BACKEDDY just say that?

But yes OP, you have not pushed them at all or you ran with a very very high pressure, as there is no edge wear at all.....
backeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 06:55 PM   #12
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
My 285/35s I just replaced, but still have, have about 16 months on them. Mileage 8000, no big track days but about 225 auto x laps. Edges worn like yours but no chunking. The center area still has 6 to 7/32nd left. Tire psi I start with is 34 to 35 mostly
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:42 PM   #13
Zombie killer
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by backeddy View Post
Let's be nice....did BACKEDDY just say that?

But yes OP, you have not pushed them at all or you ran with a very very high pressure, as there is no edge wear at all.....
It can't be from high pressure because these tires have never been run much higher than 34 psi , maybe at best 36 hot but I run mostly 32-34 psi most times. And the sidewall edge has been worn thin, especially after comparing them to new MPSS side by side where you can see the difference. I don't anticipate them chunking so soon but I guess it's all in how the tire is made as sidewall construction varies from tire to tire.

Last edited by Zombie killer; 01-17-2016 at 12:02 PM.
Zombie killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:50 PM   #14
Zombie killer
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
My 285/35s I just replaced, but still have, have about 16 months on them. Mileage 8000, no big track days but about 225 auto x laps. Edges worn like yours but no chunking. The center area still has 6 to 7/32nd left. Tire psi I start with is 34 to 35 mostly
Do you run much concrete surface autoX ? My last few events were on large concrete airstrips with lots of speed sections and I was wondering if The surface was the culprit or if the tire just has a manufactured shortcoming. Not looking to bad talk the tire because it was a great tire up until just recently.