Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 11-15-2008, 05:59 PM   #1
av8r
DV8 Racing founder

Drives: Black 2SS RS ETA march 09!!!
Test drove a top of the line Mustang and......

Well heres my limited comparison, well.. having never driven a 2010 Camaro yet but here goes.

Sound system.
Mustang:
Ford Sync is cool but really complicated
The uprated shaker system sounds good.
Problem is the Sync has iPod connectivity bluetooth and sounds like crap
the great sounding system has neither capabilities. the sync did have a clever say the name of what you want to play and it will play it for you, kind neat.

Camaro: 11 speaker system with iPod and expanded connectivity, bluetooth and such

Drivetrain: obvious but the butt dyno was registering similarly to an SS Cobalt and guess what? 0-60 times are similar, but the sound WOW!! sounds great

Exterior: Camaro wins *objective of course*

Interior: Ok the mustang has a glass roof and that was really cool! I mean really really cool!!! Gauges cool! Thats where cool ends. The damn Honda neon light gag was awful. There are lights in the footwells and around the cupholder, and even worst it seems as if every supplier for interior components picked a different surface treatment. geez! Ther was a smooth matt finish right up aging a heavily textured one???!!!

Wheels: very cool

Quality: With your eyes closed Extremely good! no slop in the steering very responsive engine and ot a hint of sqeaky rattly noise, way to go there.

Drivability: really nice clutch action, much better than my LS1 Camaro from 2001 nice short throws on the shifter, nice reaponse, no complaints, well maybe a little more giddyup

I think the Camaro will be on par especially in the handling department IRS

Overall I walked away happy with the Mustang, and thinking that this truely is a competitor to the Camaro. The Camaro is probably going to outclass the Mustang in every catagory though I think. At over $35,000 come on people lets be serious. Now somebody drive the Dodge!
av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 06:30 PM   #2
StoutFiles

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS
If this wasn't the 2010 Mustang then I'm confused why this review is here.
StoutFiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 06:31 PM   #3
shane@davesmith
Sales Guru

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I drive dodge challengers everyday. They are nice cars, but you feel how large they are. the six is very off base, feel's sluggish. The 8 is fun, especially with a stick. The interior is decent, classic new age dodge styling you have seen in all their new vehicles. The bluetooth is choppy in the Uconnect, but the supplied 30 gig HD is awesome. They have a USB on the navi. Wheel/Tire combo's are similiar to what is going to be offered on the Camaro. The clutch is weak though, very week. Customer of mine got the 8 and toasted the clutch with some spirited driving within 3k. He is not a bad driver, it is just a crappy clutch. I love the pistol grip in the challenger though. Overall it is a very nice car, but it is just a 2 door charger.

Ordered!
2LT w/RS
Aqua Blue Metallic
Manual
shane@davesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 07:40 PM   #4
1FASTZ

Drives: 1969 Z/28
I test drove a 6 spd Challenger SRT8 and thought it was a very nice car. I'm a Camaro guy at heart (have a true '69 Z), but that Challenger is tempting. I like how retro it looks and there's just something about it that's appealing. I just don't like the $45K sticker price. If they lowered it to what the SS Camaro will sell for, they might have me.

The mustangs just don't do it for me...
1FASTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 07:43 PM   #5
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
sounds like a mustang ad to me. . .but glad you found something you liked about it. and what was the top of the line mustang? base GT? so that should be the base SS. 26k-30k. . .yea costs more and beats the stang. . .either way the camaro comes out on top. price and performance.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 07:46 PM   #6
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Was this a GT500? I'm confused .. that is the top of the line mustang ..

Crowley
Old 11-15-2008, 09:24 PM   #7
TheClassicCarKid

Drives: V45
He must mean GT since he's saying 0-60 similar to Cobalt SS and is complaining about a 35,000 price tag
TheClassicCarKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:33 PM   #8
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClassicCarKid View Post
He must mean GT since he's saying 0-60 similar to Cobalt SS and is complaining about a 35,000 price tag
+1. MotorTrend put the GT500 almost on par with a base corvette a year or so ago. I drove an 08 GT in march. i actually liked the way it handled & rode. the get-up-&-go was alright, but not that impressive considering i just got done driving a 4th gen T/A. the interior felt cheap & crappy. the exhaust still had that distinct bigger-pipes-than-the-engine-can-fill sound to it. still waiting to drive the challenger
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:16 AM   #9
av8r
DV8 Racing founder

Drives: Black 2SS RS ETA march 09!!!
Come on guys I said 35k so no not a GT500! I'd have a GT500 if it were that price. But still 35k will get you well into a 2SS. Miles better. I do love that glass roof though
av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:43 AM   #10
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8r View Post
Come on guys I said 35k so no not a GT500! I'd have a GT500 if it were that price. But still 35k will get you well into a 2SS. Miles better. I do love that glass roof though
No offense, but you said top of the line and a GT is not the top of the line.

I've seen GT500s go for 37k around where I live, so 35k may not be completely out of the question. In this economy, sporty cars don't sell very well; this is especially true when we'll see $4 gas again the moment the economy recovers.

Of course a 2010 design will be miles better than a 2005 design. Wait for the 2010. Or 2011 if you want to do it right since that's when the new powertrains launch.
nester7929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:45 AM   #11
dvnt88
Kickin' Assphalt

Drives: 1997 Z-28 30th Anniversary Ed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
Was this a GT500? I'm confused .. that is the top of the line mustang ..

Crowley
Not so, the GT500KR is the top of the line Mustang and if ya wanna pay well over $80K, be my guest. I think the Mustangs are nice cars for what you get, but the Camaro will dominate it in every way once it hits the street. He must of been talkin' about the Mustang GT in the review cause I've test driven the new Cobra and that thing is quick, but to "plasticy" for me and the $45k + price tag is a joke. Just my 2c. ")
Old 11-16-2008, 01:44 PM   #12
transfrmn
Imperial Blue LT2/RS

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
by top of the line i think he was saying regular mustang with all the options added to it like a GT but in order to get the upgraded shaker system in a new GT you would have to pay at least 28K because it only comes in the premium version
transfrmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 01:58 PM   #13
exilio

Drives: Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvnt88 View Post
Not so, the GT500KR is the top of the line Mustang and if ya wanna pay well over $80K, be my guest. I think the Mustangs are nice cars for what you get, but the Camaro will dominate it in every way once it hits the street. He must of been talkin' about the Mustang GT in the review cause I've test driven the new Cobra and that thing is quick, but to "plasticy" for me and the $45k + price tag is a joke. Just my 2c. ")
Agreed -- for that kind of money you get similar 0-60 speed and a far better interior with other cars. You REALLY have to want a Mustang to spend that kind of money on the car.

Ordered!
2LT/RS - Cyber Gray/Black
exilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 03:17 PM   #14
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvnt88 View Post
Well, the GT500KR is like a fully loaded Z06.. The only comparison between a Camaro and a Mustang stock vs stock should be with the current mustang GT or if you want to compare V6's then compare those..