Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 06-07-2012, 11:05 AM   #1
Hammer St. James

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LS
Driveshaft "Clunk"

After releasing the clutch in 1st gear and reapplying soon after I can hear/feel the driveshaft make a clunk. This doesnt happen while traveling at road speed and going through the gear pattern.

3k miles on the car and I don't beat on it. Anyone else experience this?
I'm a rebel. I will not allow anyone to dictate what I do, when I do it, or who I do it with. I feel sorry for those that choose to compromise their goals, dreams, needs, and desires to appease the control of another. I believe in freedom. I am an American.
-HSJ
Hammer St. James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
piticu667

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer St. James View Post
After releasing the clutch in 1st gear and reapplying soon after I can hear/feel the driveshaft make a clunk. This doesnt happen while traveling at road speed and going through the gear pattern.

3k miles on the car and I don't beat on it. Anyone else experience this?
Known issue especially on the v6... the clutch and shaft assembly on the v6 is let say sh*t. Be glad you do not have the grind yet.. I would suggest you install IDEALG's modified clutch master cylinder otherwise get ready for the 1-2 grind..
piticu667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #3
Hammer St. James

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LS
Thanks for the response

I already get the grind at higher rev shifts.
I'm a rebel. I will not allow anyone to dictate what I do, when I do it, or who I do it with. I feel sorry for those that choose to compromise their goals, dreams, needs, and desires to appease the control of another. I believe in freedom. I am an American.
-HSJ
Hammer St. James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:21 PM   #4
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
I know the clunk you are referring to; I have it as well.

I have had the grind since the day I picked mine up. High rpm shift from 1 to 2 = grind.

One day I'll get the master cylinder upgrade from the aftermarket, IdealG.

I'll let the dealer deal with the clunk. Seems to be some slop in the differential/half shafts.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
Bad70supreme

Drives: 2010 aqua blue SS/RS M6
I find it has to do with how and when you push and release the clutch. If your rolling slow push the clutch in and release it at a slower rate seems to keep it from clunking.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #6
Bertelicious
DILLIGAF

Drives: 2011 SS
I get something similar that sounds more like some vibration. Not much of a clunk but definitely something that does not sound right. Does not seem to affect drivability with the exception of being a little annoying.

Anyone else have any more info? Service Bulletin? Recall? Would a better Tranny Mount alleviate the issue?
Bertelicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:32 AM   #7
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
GM says the clunk is normal. First car I've ever had that had it though.

If the clunk is normal, that means they designed it in and they know what causes it, but they won't elaborate on what "normal" means.

Ask a Mustang owner if their car has a clunk. I bet not.

I think it's a combination of "slacks" in all the drivetrain parts, but mostly in the rear differential ring & pinion, posi unit, and spyder gears, I wonder if after-market differentials eliminate the clunk.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:43 AM   #8
Jayrcr3

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
Unfortunately it is normal. I had an 05 CTS-V and it was horrible for the clunk. TherE is a solution for it though, and it is a new polyurethane diff bushing. Just be glad that they didn't build the camaro rear diff out of glass like the previous gen CTS-V. One good hard 1-2 shift in the V would result in a permanent rear diff whine.
Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
American Racing 1 7/8" Headers and Hi-Flow Cats, CAI cold air intake, Flowmaster AT exhaust, Vengeance Racing Stage 2 cam, VMax ported throttle body, TEA valve springs and titanium retainers, Trick Flow hardened pushrods, 180* T-stat, Comp Trunion kit, ZL1 Fuel Pump, ADM Fuel Pump Control Module, 20% window tint, Whipple Supercharger. Tuned by Mike Norris Motorsports. 656rwhp/584rwtq @10 PSI.
Jayrcr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #9
Cody6.2

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
I'm pretty sure it isn't differential movement because C6's do the same thing and there is zero movement as the driveline is all connected. On the Camaro & C6 I think it's just the driveshaft unloading since the shaft is in a static position at all times.
Cody6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote