Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-14-2014, 07:37 AM   #1
CamaroMM

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 6sp Crystal Red
Reduce sloppy feel reduce break dive

Hello all, new to forum. Picked up a 2014 SS 1SS in October.
Looking to reduce the "slightly sloppy" feel and break dive, i.e. when steering car seems to rock&roll around a bit before actually turning (hope I explain that correctly).
Also, thinking of aftermarket wheels to fill the wells a bit while keeping the stock tires. Car won't be AutoX'd or dragged.
Input appreciated.

Thanks
CamaroMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:08 AM   #2
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Sway bars and stiffer springs. Both found in the suspension subforum.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:25 AM   #3
TxBandit911
Call Me"Doc"

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE BLACK
Buy a 1LE?
TxBandit911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:25 AM   #4
CamaroMM

I don't know where to start. There are so many opinions/arguments and it seems most are looking for improvements on the track.
Also, I wasn't successful in finding a 1LE and a ZL1 was outside of my spending limit.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:42 PM   #5
Bmatth1162

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS LS3
I promise you I don't work for or endorse BMR, but I couldn't be happier with their packages on 3 of my cars now (two mustangs and this camaro). I had the same thoughts as you; I was tired of the body roll and sloppy feeling both at auto-x and on the street. These cars are heavy and that can't easily be changed, but the level 1 BMR package works wonders (http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...853&superpro=0). I keep the front sway bar on the medium setting and the rear one on the stiffest setting and it drastically improved body roll and understeer. The bushings are also great to be replaced, and some argue that they should be the first thing to be done, but the BMR level 1 package is a night and day difference in making the car feel more nimble. Not to mention the car looks more aggressive being lowered. If the car isn't going to be tracked, I really think the level 1 kit is all you would need.

CAI intake, apex scoop, Vmax ported TB, MGW short throw, BMR 1" springs and sways
Bmatth1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 12:44 PM   #6
CamaroMM

Thanks, Comrando. I'll see if i can dig up some info this.
Is it possible for me to move this post to the suspension forum?
Old 12-14-2014, 08:43 PM   #7
Dirtdog
Pro Hide n Seek Player

Drives: 2010 SS LS3/LSA 620whp/630tq
Send a message via AIM to Dirtdog
swaybars are by far my fav suspension mod ive done... reasonably priced and an easy self install. you will NOT be disappointed

620whp/630wtq. ADM LSA Conversion, E85, PFADT Tri-Y Headers into Borla S, PFADT Swaybars, Springs, Links, 20x10 20x11 Forgestar F14s, Lots of AAC
Dirtdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:56 PM   #8
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmatth1162 View Post
I promise you I don't work for or endorse BMR, but I couldn't be happier with their packages on 3 of my cars now (two mustangs and this camaro). I had the same thoughts as you; I was tired of the body roll and sloppy feeling both at auto-x and on the street. These cars are heavy and that can't easily be changed, but the level 1 BMR package works wonders (http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=p...853&superpro=0). I keep the front sway bar on the medium setting and the rear one on the stiffest setting and it drastically improved body roll and understeer. The bushings are also great to be replaced, and some argue that they should be the first thing to be done, but the BMR level 1 package is a night and day difference in making the car feel more nimble. Not to mention the car looks more aggressive being lowered. If the car isn't going to be tracked, I really think the level 1 kit is all you would need.
Got any pictures of your ride before and after the BMR stage 1 kit?

Would love to see the different in the wheel gap. I am eventually planning on going with some thicker wheels so I can add wider tires and a suspension setup.
NC_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 05:50 AM   #9
CamaroMM

Thanks, just sent BMR a message.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:30 AM   #10
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroMM View Post
I don't know where to start. There are so many opinions/arguments and it seems most are looking for improvements on the track.
Well, yeah. You must have track standards if you think your brand new SS handles sloppy. For a street machine, these cars a pretty damn tight.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:33 AM   #11
Coop1701

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Well, yeah. You must have track standards if you think your brand new SS handles sloppy. For a street machine, these cars a pretty damn tight.
I agree and it feels even sweeter after driving my wife's SUV for 2 hours. Makes me miss my camaro that much more.
Coop1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 08:58 AM   #12
ackeight

Drives: 10' 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post

It's all relative. Going from a stock SS to one with coilovers, sways and 285's on all 4 corners it felt like a boat. I couldn't be happier with my setup since its on rails now.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:41 AM   #13
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Rear 1LE sway bar and rear 1LE toe links fixed the standard SS suspension for me, which was some wallowing in turns and too much body roll. I have some other parts but those 2 had the biggest affect. The standard bushed toe links allow the wheel to deflect too much.

I have a theory that the rear cradle bushings were changed to the 1LE firmer version across the board during the '13 MY. My '13 has at least the same front bushings on the cradle - I could see the part number.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:46 AM   #14
Ithrix

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS 45th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmatth1162 View Post
Is there a reason they don't seem to make a kit for the 2012? I'm looking for something similar.
Ithrix is offline   Reply With Quote