Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 07-24-2013, 12:11 AM   #1
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
1LE Maiden Track Voyage

If any of you are thinking about tracking your 1LE and haven't yet, just do it! This car absolutely defies it's weight and horsepower, you would swear it was a super-sized Miata with titanium balls the way it stays planted around the track! So easy to drive at it's limits, very predictable, inspiring confidence.

I took it for a track weekend at Thunderhill Raceway in NorCal. The car was barely broken in, no plates yet! Prior to tracking it, I had a track alignment done with -2.0 degrees front camber, -1.1 rear, and a high temp brake fluid flush. Other than that, this 1LE is bone stock (for now ).

Although I had a little experience tracking and took the Ron Fellows ZR1 school, this was the first time I had tracked the 1LE, and also first time at Thunderhill. So I was a little anxious, wondering how hard I should push it. Once I learned the track, I felt immediately comfortable carving the corners. A friend of mine came with me that is an instructor. After riding with him and then him riding with me and helping me figure out the line, we both went solo. I started in the intermediate group, and by the end of the first day moved into the advanced group. There were several Boss 302 Mustangs, some with R compound tires and slicks. Other than the one in the third photo, I was able to pass them. That black Laguna Seca was wicked fast. He was also pulling away on the straights, clearly modified. I have a plan on how to even the playing field, but more on that later in another thread. But even stock, I'm telling you, this 1LE can hang with some pretty fast cars.

Once in the advanced group, the speeds of the cars were quite a bit higher but this Camaro held its own. I passed a GT40, a number of Porsches, and a few cars on slicks. These Goodyears stick like glue, I can only imagine what this will be like when I get some R compound tires. The last picture is the Cyclone, which is Thunderhill's version of Laguna Seca's corkscrew. Most of the faster cars were fairly even, with the exception of that yellow beast closing on me fast in the last picture. That's a Ferrari 458 Challenge running slicks. Far from street legal and brutally fast. There was also a brand new Z06/Z07 with Michelin Pilot Sport Cups, he and the Ferrari were in a league of their own. I was impressed with how the showroom stock Corvette with lesser tires could stay with the race-prepped Ferrari on slicks! I'd wave them by, then enjoy trying to keep up for the 30 seconds or so that they were in my sight, LOL.

The weekend was eventful, including an S2000 that spun right in front of a new Audi TT RS. They crashed hard and came off the track on tow trucks. Luckily no one was hurt. The Audi owner had purchased track day insurance, thank goodness. Something I plan on looking into as well.

If you look at the first picture, you can see that I'm bracing myself in the corners with my arm because the stock seats are not up to the task of hard cornering. My friend was giving me a hard time, because I was often driving 1-handed due to this. I didn't even realize it. The stock seats are very comfortable around town, but I think Chevy was wise by offering Recaros in 2014 models for such a track-focused model. I will be upgrading my seats soon.

Although it's stout and nicely geared with the 3.91 rear end, many of the cars I ran with were modified and would pull away from me in the straights. I think I'd like to give it a HP bump. Other than that, this thing is just a beast on the track. The 1LE is the bargain of the century, I still cannot believe that you can have this much fun and get slot-car performance for a $3500 adder. I will be tracking it 4 more times before I return to Ron Fellows school for Level 2 in October.
Attached Images

Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086

Last edited by Orange Crush 1LE; 07-24-2013 at 01:41 AM.
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:24 AM   #2
t&t moyer
It's all hers.

Drives: 2015 ZL1
One word, AWESOME!!!
t&t moyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:29 AM   #3
ZWA SS
BowtieBelle's SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Very nice.
I got to ride in a friends 1LE at Hallet. AMAZING!! Those tires stick!
ZWA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:30 AM   #4
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
I love it
Old 07-24-2013, 01:13 AM   #5
Arodr395

Drives: 2014 Black Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
What tire size do you have on the rear?
Arodr395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:38 AM   #6
Orange Crush 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arodr395 View Post
What tire size do you have on the rear?
The stock 285/35-20's all the way around. This cures the Camaro's understeer (along with the 1LE's suspension tweaks), handling is very neutral.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:49 AM   #7
Casperadub70

Drives: 2014 1LE Camaro, 95 Z28 Camaro
Amazing. I cant wait to get mine
2014 1LE 2SS Camaro Recaro seats, Custom Cam, Kooks LT headers, CAI intake, Z/28 Spoiler, Z/28 Belly Pan, Z/28 Brake Air Ducts, Stainless Steel breaklines, BMR Toe Rods and Trailing Arms resulting in 482.49 RWHP
Casperadub70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:35 AM   #8
5.3Avalanche

Drives: '08 Silverado, '99 T/A WS6
Nice write up. Sounds like you had a great time and it made me even more pumped to get mine!
Old 07-24-2013, 08:13 AM   #9
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Do yourself a favor and buy a CG Lock for doing track days. It will cinch the belt down and help hold you in the seat

http://www.cg-lock.com/
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:24 AM   #10
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Those are awesome pics. I can even imagine driving on a track with that kind of elevation change, it must be a blast. Glad to see you held your own and passed some quick cars.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:13 AM   #11
Orange Crush 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinlow View Post
Do yourself a favor and buy a CG Lock for doing track days. It will cinch the belt down and help hold you in the seat

http://www.cg-lock.com/
Yes my friend that joined me at the track uses one, he also has a pad that he wedges between his side and the center console. Do you find the CG Lock is enough to keep you planted in the seat?

I'm thinking I might also want to go up one level and get seats, as I see R compound tires in my future.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:45 AM   #12
DRAIL'D

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS 1LE
That's awesome! Wish we had a track like that here in Mississippi!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
DRAIL'D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #13
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Nice write up! This may inspire me to take a class to learn track basics.

I did a NJ Motorsports track day with my old suspension modded SS and my instructor, when she was driving, was running down all the beginners cars (Vettes, Mustangs, BMWs, Porsches, etc) except for one instructor driven yellow C6 'Vette with my Camaro. She was floored by the stability of the car, the way she could use the curbs, and the good brakes. But she said it was very much a tank. She raced Miata's.

It took me all day, but by the end she said I was about ready for the Intermediate group. I think more individual instruction will help. Even with the "slow" LS3 it is easy to get into trouble.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #14
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE View Post
Yes my friend that joined me at the track uses one, he also has a pad that he wedges between his side and the center console. Do you find the CG Lock is enough to keep you planted in the seat?

I'm thinking I might also want to go up one level and get seats, as I see R compound tires in my future.
It works pretty well, not as good as a race harness and high bolsters, but then there's a trade off with those seats as well as far as comfort
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote