Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 01-17-2011, 08:48 AM   #1
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Which cradle bushings to use?

m going to start focusing in on some suspension mods now. I saw where a few people recommended doing the cradle bushings. I tried to do a search but I’m either not typing in the right thing or there aren’t many threads about them.

My car is a daily driver. I plan to do some occasional drag racing and might try to do a road race (never done that yet) so I don’t need something that is all out race and will cause the car to ride harsh. Launching the car at the drag strip is going to be my justification for doing them.

I already have Hotchkis lower springs and Spohn Del-Sphere trailing arms but that's it for the suspension.

What is everyone’s opinion on doing the cradle bushings?

Which ones would you suggest?

How hard are they to put in or do you know of a DIY link that’s out there?

Will an alignment be necessary afterwards? I’m thinking it won’t but just want to make sure.

About how much are they.....$100, $200, $300+?

Any other suspension mod that you would suggest for my situation?
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:51 AM   #2
2010 2-Tone

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS with Custom Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
m going to start focusing in on some suspension mods now. I saw where a few people recommended doing the cradle bushings. I tried to do a search but I’m either not typing in the right thing or there aren’t many threads about them.

My car is a daily driver. I plan to do some occasional drag racing and might try to do a road race (never done that yet) so I don’t need something that is all out race and will cause the car to ride harsh. Launching the car at the drag strip is going to be my justification for doing them.

I already have Hotchkis lower springs and Spohn Del-Sphere trailing arms but that's it for the suspension.

What is everyone’s opinion on doing the cradle bushings?

Which ones would you suggest?

How hard are they to put in or do you know of a DIY link that’s out there?

Will an alignment be necessary afterwards? I’m thinking it won’t but just want to make sure.

About how much are they.....$100, $200, $300+?

Any other suspension mod that you would suggest for my situation?
Old 01-17-2011, 08:53 AM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
We carry a full selection of BMR and Pfadt rear cradle solutions. For your application I would recommend looking at BMR rear cradle/rear diff "Street" bushing kit. I will send you a PM with more details.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:11 AM   #4
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 2-Tone View Post
Hey Caverman, Send Black10 a pm and get his cell number. He just finished doing his cradle bushings and several others and he has a few tricks he could share with you.
Will do....

Just found his thread about his install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
We carry a full selection of BMR and Pfadt rear cradle solutions. For your application I would recommend looking at BMR rear cradle/rear diff "Street" bushing kit. I will send you a PM with more details.
Thanks....sent back over a reply
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 01-17-2011, 09:15 AM   #5
caverman

The differential bushings sound like they could be a PITA to do where the cradles may not be as bad. Is the diff bushings something that really should be done at the same time or will the cradle bushings alone be a good start?
Build Journal
Old 01-17-2011, 09:24 AM   #6
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
The differential bushings sound like they could be a PITA to do where the cradles may not be as bad. Is the diff bushings something that really should be done at the same time or will the cradle bushings alone be a good start?
The diff bushing are more difficult. I actually just PMed the install instructions for the diff bushings and cradle inserts. It is easier to do both while you are under there and they work best together but you would definitely realize an improvement with the cradle inserts alone.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:41 AM   #7
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
I went with BMR stuff. In regards to the craddle I ysed there inserts rather then the complete bushing they offer. Click Pumpkins build journal link to view suspension up-grades.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:43 AM   #8
Merc
In The Circle

Quote:
The diff bushing are more difficult. I actually just PMed the install instructions for the diff bushings and cradle inserts. It is easier to do both while you are under there and they work best together but you would definitely realize an improvement with the cradle inserts alone.
Actually the diff bushings are easy if you copy the special tool that I made to do the job. Have a look at my journal for setails.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:12 AM   #9
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercuryman96 View Post
Actually the diff bushings are easy if you copy the special tool that I made to do the job. Have a look at my journal for setails.

Can you link directly to it. Your journal is pretty extensive and I'd like to check it out.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:16 AM   #10
Merc
In The Circle

Quote:
Can you link directly to it. Your journal is pretty extensive and I'd like to check it out.
Not sure how. I"ll look and give you page #.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:20 AM   #11
caverman

Do you think just doing the cradle bushings without the diff bushings would be good enough? Would that help in launching the car and just keeping the rear planted pretty good?
Build Journal
Old 01-17-2011, 10:21 AM   #12
Merc
In The Circle

Quote:
Go to top of page #10.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:26 AM   #13
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Do you think just doing the cradle bushings without the diff bushings would be good enough? Would that help in launching the car and just keeping the rear planted pretty good?
They work best together but the rear cradle upgrade will give you a more controled launch all on their own.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:28 AM   #14
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercuryman96 View Post
Go to top of page #10.

Oh yeah, that is how to do it.