Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-05-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Drives: "Black Ice"
Help Needed - Car Won't Start

I had all of my accessories off the front of the L99, and did some work on the wiring harnesses for the coil packs, injectors, and throttle body.

I have double-checked the wiring harnesses and believe they are good. Checked them all the way back to the ECM.

I have no engine codes (checked with a device), and nothing indicating on the DIC.

The car starts immediately as usual, and then about 1 second later, it shuts off. It doesn't sound like it is missing on any of the cylinders in that brief time. Sounds pretty smooth.

Does anyone have any troubleshooting advice?
Old 04-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #2
quimbo
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 45 anniversary camaro
Try disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes reconnect and try it again. Sounds like you need to reset ECM
quimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #3
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quimbo View Post
Try disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes reconnect and try it again. Sounds like you need to reset ECM
I'll give it a shot!
Old 04-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #4
Mdipinto

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro silver black stripe
My roommate had a problem like this... his alternator broke.
if you hold the key, does it keep on?
Old 04-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #5
nebchevy

Drives: 2011 2SS SGM Camaro
Anti theft maybe?? Try battery and let us know
nebchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:53 PM   #6
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quimbo View Post
I appreciate the suggestion.

I Left the battery disconnected for about 40 minutes, and after connecting it back and trying again...no change. I even reloaded the tune, and again, no change.

I did have the generator out, and had it taken apart and put back together. I don't really want to spend $160ish to find out that mine works fine. If other people suspect it, then I could try that. Just don't know why I wouldn't have an error code with a bad generator.

The car starts immediately every time I turn on the ignition. It then dies in about 1 second.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #7
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
When I had my generator taken apart, the place that do it, checked it to make sure it was ok. I'm sure yoh can take it to an alternator place in are to see.
Moreno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #8
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
When I had my generator taken apart, the place that do it, checked it to make sure it was ok. I'm sure yoh can take it to an alternator place in are to see.
Yeah...I was told that was done, and it checked out ok. I suspect it isn't. But I would expect some type of error code.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #9
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green M6
Will it stay running if you work the gas a little? If so then you may have a vacuum leak from a hose that might not have been reconnected or maybe that cracked while you were moving things around. Try that and then let's go from there.
RPM Level 7 4L80e + Coan Converter
Hendrix 9" Rear Axle + 3.50 Gear
ARH 2" LTs+3.5" Exhaust
Fore Fuel System, Bogarts + Hoosier Slicks
Pfadt Drag Pack Suspension
My Build Thread | Best Pass To Date
HufferSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:22 PM   #10
NC-V

Drives: cts-v
It sounds like an autoshutdown or anti theft issue. What components did you modify the wiring to during the downtime? and did you load a tune immediately prior to trying to start for the first time?
NC-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #11
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HufferSS View Post
Will it stay running if you work the gas a little? If so then you may have a vacuum leak from a hose that might not have been reconnected or maybe that cracked while you were moving things around. Try that and then let's go from there.
No it won't. When I tried, I got a little bit of backfire, but it still wouldn't run longer than about 1 second. I have the whipple...and only vac I have is to the brakes, the pcv, and the evac solenoid. I've checked all lines, and they all look good.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:31 PM   #12
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC-V View Post
It sounds like an autoshutdown or anti theft issue. What components did you modify the wiring to during the downtime? and did you load a tune immediately prior to trying to start for the first time?
I modified the driver side coil pack harness, the injectors harness, and the throttle body harness. I had the same tune in it the whole time, and that tune was in it when I tried it for the first time. I just thought that I'd try flashing it again to see if it made a difference. The tune worked just fine before.

I took the generator back out and sanded down the bracket where the bolts connected. I don't think that the generator was getting to ground. It definitely is now.

I also didn't have the camshaft position sensor hooked up, but it threw a code and I fixed that.

Could the onstar battery be depleted since I had the battery in the car disconnected for a very long time? Is that what does the anti-theft?
Old 04-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #13
NC-V

Drives: cts-v
I don't know enough about the onstar systems to help you there, but I do know they can do all sorts of stuff to your car so I wouldn't rule that option out. I will say we had one of our car's batt removed for about 9 months and had no issues, I don't think we had active onstar though. Just for laughs, have you checked all your fuses?
NC-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:55 PM   #14
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC-V View Post
I don't know enough about the onstar systems to help you there, but I do know they can do all sorts of stuff to your car so I wouldn't rule that option out. I will say we had one of our car's batt removed for about 9 months and had no issues, I don't think we had active onstar though. Just for laughs, have you checked all your fuses?
I don't have onstar, or I'd press the button. Good to know you had one unhooked for 9 months.

I checked several of the fuses that seemed to have something to do with running. I'm heading to bed...I'm sure several ideas will come to me at 3am.

I appreciate your input. Any chance you think this could be the generator?

I also tried running diagnostics and I'm still having trouble with the device/software.