Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-20-2012, 11:48 PM   #1
bpa88

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
2010 camaro shaking above 70mph

hey everyone,
Well it seems my first issue with my car has popped up since I got it and any help would be appreciated. Car has been running great and I haven't had any problems until recently. This past week when driving back and forth to work, all interstate btw...My camaro is shaking/shimming pretty noticeably when im above 70mph. I feel no shaking/shimming from 0-70..but once i start accelerating hitting 75-80-85 the shaking gets progressively worse as the MPH goes up...Now i thought maybe I threw a weight off a wheel but i checked all 4 and all the weights are still in place. I have no noticeable pull to the left or right so my alignment seems fine. This is really stumping me because it just started out of nowhere. Also i have not hit anything or curbed my rims, and even though my camaro is an LS, it has the 20" RS wheels. The shaking/shimming is not so much up and down but more side to side.. Any ideas on what might be causing it before i take it to the dealer?
Old 04-20-2012, 11:51 PM   #2
AutoAgenda

Drives: 69 Camaro, 02 Escalade, 67 Eleanor
How long ago did you put on the 20'' RS wheels?
AutoAgenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:52 PM   #3
bpa88

They were put on at the dealer, when the car was delivered.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:13 AM   #4
bpa88

Also if it helps, I feel little to no shaking/shimming/vibration in the steering wheel.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
11SynergyGr&Bl
JZ

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green Camaro
It could be they didn't balance the wheels correctly, or atleast one of them, or not at all. Id start there. You can sometimes take the car into a discount tire, and they can check, for free in most cases, if your wheel is balanced. Might be a flat spot in the tire(s)? it could be your alignment as well, they shouldn't have touched anything, but just cause the car doesn't pull one way or the other, doesn't mean it couldn't be out of spec. It can go //----\\ or \\-----// causing it to whobble at higher speeds vs not at lower speeds. You can check this at home if you have some string and a marker, or a long measuring tape.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
Brent_$$
Warp drive in development

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS (Becca Bumble Bee)
Send a message via Yahoo to Brent_$$
I had the same problem with my car. I changed the rear tires and it completely stopped. I guess my case was a tire out of round or a flat spot after sitting for few months.
Brent_$$ is offline   Reply With Quote