Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 04-14-2014, 01:45 AM   #1
DefiantXSoldier

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 2SS/RS/1LE NPP Recaros
Will I be okay without a tune?

I just wanted some opinions on whether or not my 2014 1LE will be okay as a DD with the following mods and no tune? Now first off, I know that I should get a tune with these mods but for warranty purposes I would like to avoid a tune until the warranty is up or the car is paid off. I also already know that I will not be able to unleash the full HP gaining potential from these mods until I tune it. I would simply like to know if the car will run okay with these mods minus the CEL from the LTs.

Kooks LTs stepped w/ HF cats (not green cats)
CAI intake w/ ADM scoop and Roto-Fab washer bottle relocation kit
BBK 95mm throttle body

Right now I am impatiently waiting for my 1LE to be built. I already have the LTs in my garage. I will be ordering the CAI intake and BBK throttle body within the next 1-2 weeks.

I also already have the Apex OCC and a 1-4 skip shift eliminator which will be a day one install. The rest I will wait at least 500 miles before I install because of the break in period.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
DefiantXSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:49 AM   #2
IMPERIALBLUE2SS

Drives: 2010 imperial blue LS3 M6 2SSRS
No, check engine light will be on as soon as the downstream O2 sensors get a whiff of those hi flo cats. It'll run ok, but won't be optimized for the mods. I would just wait if,your worried about warrantee
IMPERIALBLUE2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:40 AM   #3
Jeff_SS
"Cam Only"

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
I ran Kooks 1 7/8" headers w/ 3" high flow cats and a CAI intake for quite a while before I got it tuned. Ran fine, would stutter every once and a while when accelerating from about 1-7mph when it was cold. Obviously didn't have the full power gain without the tune, but you already acknowledged that you know that.

Didn't get any CEL even after about 700-1000 miles (which is how long they were on until I had it tuned). But I've read about people on here going several months until it popped up.

Short answer, you should be fine; as long as you don't care about an annoying CEL that might eventually pop up.
2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS M6 | LSA Blower, 2.5" pulley, 10% lower, FIC1000's, Fore Innovations Twin Pump fuel system w/ Flex Fuel, CMS Custom Grind Cam, Kooks 1 7/8" headers w/ catless off-road pipes, NPP Exhaust, 3.91's, JLT ZL1 Intake, Prospeed Heat Exchanger | Pfadt Suspension, 1LE Sway Bars | DSS 1000hp axles |
Tuned by Ryne @ CMS E85: 734rwhp/636rwtq (mustang dyno)
Jeff_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:23 AM   #4
SWAG1LE

Drives: 2013 1LE
Here's My 2 cents I do not see any point in modding a car without the proper tune. You wont see the full results and might actually do more damage by making the computer constantly adjust the air fuel mix (more so in a DD). If you've got the cash just tune it. Take care of it and you should not have to worry about anything. With a tune it will run better guaranteed, you'll have better throttle response, make more power and a have a much more efficient running engine. Plus, it will pull a lot smoother and harder.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:28 AM   #5
JambaJuiced

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS 1LE AGM
Just do the CAI and TB and call it a day if you are nervous about doing a tune...like has been stated you will not get the full gains for the money you are putting so waiting is not a bad thing to do...
JambaJuiced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:35 AM   #6
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
I ran my previous '11 LS3 SS and my current '13 1LE with a setup like yours. Between both cars I would say I have run for over 2 years without a tune with zero problems.

I also added DRs to my 1LE and with my untuned setup, I went from 13.2 @110 to 12.3 @ 115+ with the mods you are planning to add. So you WILL feel the difference.

Also you WILL have CELs. So get a code editor to read the codes and turn them off. I had a pretty aggressive bolton intake setup: CAI CAI, Scoop, Ported TB, and the Wedge (LOL) so I may have been getting more CELs than most.

Also note that on my '11 I removed almost all of my mods and traded it in as a stocker for my 1LE. I got all the trade in value my '11 could give and I had a ton of fun with it.

Besides the warranty issues, most do not understand that once you tune your car is worth less as a trade in, even if you take off all of your mods. Some dealers will check your flash count as they value your car. If they do and you tuned they will ding you thousands for your trade value. They most likely will wholesale your car unless they are a performance minded dealer.

Even if you sell privately, you owe it to your buyer to tell them about the tune.

So I would only tune my car if I intended to keep it for a long time or if its beyond the drive train warranty. That being said my 1LE is getting tuned this week. The 1LE is a keeper.

Last edited by Fraxum; 04-14-2014 at 11:54 AM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:41 AM   #7
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
As others have stated, you won't have full power potential, and you WILL have a CEL. Is it safe? Yep, you'll be fine. The main disadvantage is that if you have a real problem with a code other than those associated with the mods, you won't know unless you do an occasional code scan, since your CEL will most likely be on all of the time.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:53 AM   #8
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
As others have stated, you won't have full power potential, and you WILL have a CEL. Is it safe? Yep, you'll be fine. The main disadvantage is that if you have a real problem with a code other than those associated with the mods, you won't know unless you do an occasional code scan, since your CEL will most likely be on all of the time.
Yep with the tune you can pick up 5-10 RWHP on a full bolton LS3. And you can minimize or eliminate torque management. Fun.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:49 PM   #9
DefiantXSoldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
So I would only tune my car if I intended to keep it for a long time or if its beyond the drive train warranty. That being said my 1LE is getting tuned this week. The 1LE is a keeper.

I do have a SCT tuner already so I should be able to clear the CEL codes with that. I'm getting rid of my black 2010 2SS/RS for the 2014 red hot 2SS/RS/1LE. I can't stand having a black car. It always looks dirty in the area I live in. The 1LE is the color a have been wanting and I know it will be a keeper. Even though it will be a keeper I am still going to hold off on the tune for at least a year or two. But I'm still going to install all my listed parts. I had a few problems with my 2010 and had it warrantied then I tuned my car once I no longer had any issues. My driveline was replaced twice. I'm a little hard on the car around turns but that's why I'm getting the 1LE.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:24 PM   #10
DefiantXSoldier

My Barton STS and Fastlane Pipeline CAI are for sale and listed if anyone is interested.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:28 PM   #11
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
You will be fine, get and install the mods. Use your scanner to check and turn off codes if none are an issue(i.e. not common codes associated with those mods). You will get more power and sound, and can tune when you want to.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:26 AM   #12
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Aren't those headers illegal in Commiefornia? I wouldn't do headers without a tune. I'm going to put about 1000 miles on mine before headers/tune as a shake down to make sure every thing is good, then I'm getting done what I want done to MY car. The LS3 is probably the most bulletproof part of this car. And if something breaks (which I highly doubt), then it's an opportunity for more mods.

BTW, I've installed a CAI by itself and the butt dyno didn't notice. I will add the ported TB by my tuner so I don't have to hassle with the core exchange.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:44 AM   #13
DefiantXSoldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydriver View Post
Aren't those headers illegal in Commiefornia? I wouldn't do headers without a tune. I'm going to put about 1000 miles on mine before headers/tune as a shake down to make sure every thing is good, then I'm getting done what I want done to MY car. The LS3 is probably the most bulletproof part of this car. And if something breaks (which I highly doubt), then it's an opportunity for more mods.

BTW, I've installed a CAI by itself and the butt dyno didn't notice. I will add the ported TB by my tuner so I don't have to hassle with the core exchange.

Yes CA is a pain in the ass state. Law here does state that it is illegal to remove /replace the cats on your car unless the car has emissions problems. These headers are 49 state EPA approved though, guess which state doesn't approve? Yep...CA
CAI isn't legal either. I don't even think there is a CARB legal CAI for the 5th Gen Camaros yet. I'd rather pay for a fixit ticket rather than hundreds of dollars for drivetrain problems. That's why I'm going to hold off on the tune for a little while.

BTW, I'm going with the BBK TB, there is no core charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2014, 12:01 PM   #14
1BLWN/LE
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
You do realize that the bolt on stuff you put on even without the tune can potentially void your warranty as well, whether it's tuned or not.
So if your doing ANY bolt ons, you mys well do it right and get the tune with your bolt ons.
Not to mention getting the tune will better support the mods you do.
1BLWN/LE is offline   Reply With Quote