Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-25-2011, 06:37 PM   #15
jeepinocala

Drives: camaro ss 2s
Why did you change the springs in the first place? Ive herd of problems before with valve springs/valves/ maybe valve keepers? even with a cam change I dont think you need to change the springs. the motor has somewhere around a 550 lift and I read you cant go much larger simply for the room the lobes take up.
jeepinocala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:40 PM   #16
steeleshark2

Drives: 2010 Transformer 1SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinocala View Post
Why did you change the springs in the first place? Ive herd of problems before with valve springs/valves/ maybe valve keepers? even with a cam change I dont think you need to change the springs. the motor has somewhere around a 550 lift and I read you cant go much larger simply for the room the lobes take up.
Any upgraded cam needs springs. Especially with the .642 lift i have.
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:44 PM   #17
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JETG View Post
That's sucks, I had the same springs. Had a miss in the motor knew something was not right. Well the heads were coming off and sent to TSP anyways. Didn't notice any springs were broken when we shipped them off. Well from what I was told they found a broken spring when they received the heads. This makes 3 of us that had broken springs. Me, you and mikess, my springs were ordered in dec of this last year, wonder if they had a bad batch or what ??? Kind of make me nervous as this is now 3 sets. I know that I don't drive my car that hard or hit revlimiter ect to cause a spring issue. I had maybe 4k miles on those springs at most. Knew something was wrong and told my shop at the time
ya i also had the cylinder number 4 spring go. i went with different springs this time though. funny story about what happen to me, my car was making weird noises for couple of days, i am guessing the outer spring broke on the duel springs and it was making the noise. i went to my shop 40 mins away made it there fine, but couldn't get the noise to reproduce, so about 5 miles on the way home, the spring breaks while driving, luckily i knew something was very wrong, pulled over and got a tow back to shop. lol 5 miles away. they checked every thing for damage, luckily only broken spring.

i also got mine back dec or jan last year.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:47 PM   #18
JETG

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
ya i also had the cylinder number 4 spring go. i went with different springs this time though. funny story about what happen to me, my car was making weird noises for couple of days, i am guessing the outer spring broke on the duel springs and it was making the noise. i went to my shop 40 mins away made it there fine, but couldn't get the noise to reproduce, so about 5 miles on the way home, the spring breaks while driving, luckily i knew something was very wrong, pulled over and got a tow back to shop. lol 5 miles away.

i also got mine back dec or jan last year.
What springs did you go with ???

Springshark when did you get your springs ??? Wonder if it was a bad batch or what the deal is. Back in the day I had issues with 918's. So not new to this at all.
JETG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:49 PM   #19
steeleshark2

Quote:

Springshark when did you get your springs ??? Wonder if it was a bad batch or what the deal is. Back in the day I had issues with 918's. So not new to this at all.
I got my springs around Mar. Didn't install until April. Got back from deployment in June. Driven only for 4 months. Did TSP do anything to compensate anyone for their broken springs?
Old 09-25-2011, 06:51 PM   #20
mikeSS

Quote:

my shop said they have never seen a failure on there springs, so i went with theres. livernois motorsports LS springs
Old 09-25-2011, 06:53 PM   #21
steeleshark2

Interesting read here:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...e+valve+spring
Old 09-25-2011, 07:02 PM   #22
mikeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeleshark2 View Post
interesting indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam88gta1 View Post
I wouldnt recommend you sell a larger cam until you can sell a valve spring that can take the extra stress. Your current PRC spring has a problem with the 231 cam. No way it will ever work with added lift and RPM.

Quote:
Funny, no one has even mentioned an issue like this on here. My car has no issues either.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:12 PM   #23
JETG

I like TSP products for sure, but curious about this spring issue. Seems him and Sam have gone back and forth on stuff. This so far is 3 of us that had failures. Thankfully it did keep the valve up and didn't destroy the motors. So all in all the spring did do what it was suppose to. Just sucks they broke at all, just wonder who all else has had this issue.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:09 PM   #24
steeleshark2

Quote:
I like TSP products for sure, but curious about this spring issue. Seems him and Sam have gone back and forth on stuff. This so far is 3 of us that had failures. Thankfully it did keep the valve up and didn't destroy the motors. So all in all the spring did do what it was suppose to. Just sucks they broke at all, just wonder who all else has had this issue.
I will be happy as long as they replace the spring and the valve is not bent. Only time will tell.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:28 PM   #25
DietCoke
Slow Turtle

Drives: 2011 1SS
Send a message via AIM to DietCoke
They'll send you a replacement no questions asked. The .675 heat treated springs are better then the .650 golds (if you got the golds, it's a .650 spring, not a .675), but any spring is susceptible to imperfections.

Did the inner or outer break?
DietCoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:57 AM   #26
steeleshark2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DietCoke View Post
They'll send you a replacement no questions asked. The .675 heat treated springs are better then the .650 golds (if you got the golds, it's a .650 spring, not a .675), but any spring is susceptible to imperfections.

Did the inner or outer break?
It was the .675 springs. The outer coil broke.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:53 AM   #27
steeleshark2

Well, I bent a valve!! Time to see what is next.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:04 AM   #28
JETG

Quote:
Well, I bent a valve!! Time to see what is next.

That sucks big time, good luck hope it only dinged the piston. Did they say how bad it was ???

J