Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-11-2013, 02:34 PM   #113
RiCorvette

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 3LT
Update from the Dealer:

"So, the parts of course are installed, during the programming process the new module lost communication and has not yet re-gained communication. The tech is calling the technical assistance advisors back. I will keep you posted as I get updates."

Software bug??
RiCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #114
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricamaro View Post
Update from the Dealer:

"So, the parts of course are installed, during the programming process the new module lost communication and has not yet re-gained communication. The tech is calling the technical assistance advisors back. I will keep you posted as I get updates."

Software bug??
Not neccessarily. Just what did the new module lose communication with?
It could be an intermittant physical connection between the module wand whatever it's communicating with.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #115
RiCorvette

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 3LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Almost sounds like a loose ground wire.

BINGO!!

"We found the “bug”, the advisor asked if there are any modifications to the vehicle, we told them no. After troubleshooting some power and ground circuits we noticed when the cold air intake we installed, the ground was moved. The location chosen was not sufficient ground for the steering circuit. Tech assist advised us that in some cases with grounds that were moved, would have intermittent loss of communication. When we re-ground the circuit, the communication comes back and everything works perfectly… your car will be done as soon as we put everything back together."

RiCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:46 PM   #116
jbotta

Drives: Camaro ZL1
I just did my cai, glade i left ground alone, wow good info to know
jbotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #117
Whos_Drivin

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1, '16 Silverado Z71
I think moving the ground for a cai and losing power steering is a recurring issue. Just means you really need to completely understand what you're doing when you mod...even the "simple" stuff. Glad they found the issue!

2016 Silverado LTZ-Z71 Midnight Edition: 6.2L, 8 speed auto, Borla exhaust
Whos_Drivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #118
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
this system is completely electrical. Meaning power and ground. So it is just different to troubleshoot. mine has been not had any issue to have to look at yet.

this is the second story I have seen where a simple mod has disrupted the electroics cause the steering to be intermitten. the other was power cable just not being completely tight.

So some of these things are not GM's fault at all. When I did my CAI I purposely left my ground right in the factroy location. It looks nicer relocated but if you ground path is not good enough issues will pop up.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #119
ZL1Dave

Drives: 2012 ZL-1 #1442
What CAI kit are you using? And was the ground installed somewhere not advised by the CAI manufacture. I have one I'm about to install but all this steering stuff makes me wonder if I'll regret it
ZL1Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:48 PM   #120
tmandoug1
Deep Sea

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Almost sounds like a loose ground wire.
Agree, when something doesn't work and you jiggle it and it does, 99 times out of a 100 it is loose wiring.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:51 PM   #121
ZL1Dave

Drives: 2012 ZL-1 #1442
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
this system is completely electrical. Meaning power and ground. So it is just different to troubleshoot. mine has been not had any issue to have to look at yet.

this is the second story I have seen where a simple mod has disrupted the electroics cause the steering to be intermitten. the other was power cable just not being completely tight.

So some of these things are not GM's fault at all. When I did my CAI I purposely left my ground right in the factroy location. It looks nicer relocated but if you ground path is not good enough issues will pop up.
Can I ask what CAI kit you have and what you did to retain the factory ground location?
ZL1Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #122
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I have the rotofab.

on the rotofab they actaully tell you to just re-route and put in the factory location but the cable is tad short to put the retainer for the wire back to stock by the power distribution blk.

so poeople relocate it on there own. I almost did because it would look cleaner. I have worked in electronics I knew I would have to get a good ground and just said f' it and put it in the stock location out of being lazy at that time.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:19 PM   #123
Donovanl1685

Well add me to the list, mine has 1800 miles on it and did it for the 2nd time, this time I wasn't as lucky.. I was driving in a parking lot going between 5-10 mph made a left hand turn and the steering went. I ran over a curb knocking the crap out of my alignment and scared my rear wheel pretty bad. I started the car it felt like a million times and finally my steering returned.. I took it to the dealer this morning and they are keeping it over the weekend so they put me up in a rental... The thing that bothers me is of course when I took it in, it's not doing the problem.. I understand that things happen, especially to first year cars.. I just hope Chevy takes care of my car.. It's frustrating as this is my baby... Kinda at a loss.

I don't really feel unsafe driving it, all though when I drove it there this morning it was in the back of my head that what if it goes out.. Or even what if there would have been a person on the curb?? It's really un-safe.
Donovanl1685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #124
Whos_Drivin

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1, '16 Silverado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovanl1685 View Post
Well add me to the list, mine has 1800 miles on it and did it for the 2nd time, this time I wasn't as lucky.. I was driving in a parking lot going between 5-10 mph made a left hand turn and the steering went. I ran over a curb knocking the crap out of my alignment and scared my rear wheel pretty bad. I started the car it felt like a million times and finally my steering returned.. I took it to the dealer this morning and they are keeping it over the weekend so they put me up in a rental... The thing that bothers me is of course when I took it in, it's not doing the problem.. I understand that things happen, especially to first year cars.. I just hope Chevy takes care of my car.. It's frustrating as this is my baby... Kinda at a loss.

I don't really feel unsafe driving it, all though when I drove it there this morning it was in the back of my head that what if it goes out.. Or even what if there would have been a person on the curb?? It's really un-safe.
Out of curiosity, do you have any mods? I'm wondering of this is happening to 100% stock cars too.

2016 Silverado LTZ-Z71 Midnight Edition: 6.2L, 8 speed auto, Borla exhaust
Whos_Drivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #125
dcosta

Drives: 17 ZL1 6M
No Mods!!!

I have lost p/s twice and I only have 600 miles on the car..
Not sure that this is fixed by just a ground but who knows.
We will see if it does it again.
No mods have been done and have checked and rechecked all grounds and connections.

DCosta9
dcosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:35 PM   #126
Donovanl1685

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whos_Drivin View Post
Out of curiosity, do you have any mods? I'm wondering of this is happening to 100% stock cars too.
It's stock
Donovanl1685 is offline   Reply With Quote