Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 01-25-2010, 08:43 PM   #15
Superfly1

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT #2197
This may be a stupid question or I may be missing something, but where did you get the LED that powers this from?

CAI intake | OBX LT Headers | Flowmaster AT Exhaust | Trifecta Tune | SS Rear Diff, Axles & Driveshaft
Zex 100 Shot Nitrous | Konig Airstrike Wheels | Custom Engine Cover, Fuse Box & Underhood Bowtie
Eibach Springs & SS Sway Bars
| BMR Strut Brace | Drake Shifter | Vitesse Paddles | 13.26 @ 105.88 mph
Superfly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:47 PM   #16
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
I can answer that. It's left over from the ambient light in the dash mod. They are the lamps inside your doors, which also fit in your footwells!

skuttduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:19 AM   #17
Jayhawk500

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by skuttduck View Post
Jaylink,
do you think you could run the lights off of the same light that the sunroof button uses?
Or power the LED off of that?
I can't answer that question, Sorry. I don't have a Sun Roof. I would think if the Sun Roof switch dims and brightens with the dimmer you should be able to do it.

2010 2SS/RS, Six speed, Rally Yellow w/ Black Painted Stripes, Boston Acoustic Stereo, Polished 20" wheels, Solo Mach X Catback Exhaust, Solo HF Cats, Halltech CAI, Full Dash & Door ABL, ABL Lit Homelink Buttons, HUD Installed, Ride Tunes, Full Electric Passenger Seat, Fbodfather signed, VIN # 4492, PAID OFF!!!
2010 Yellow 2SS/RS with black painted Stripes...$37,000.00; Ride Tones sound system and remote...$ 40.00; Seeing the kids faces (Young and Old) light up and almost wet their pants....Priceless!!!
Jayhawk500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:20 AM   #18
Jayhawk500

Quote:
I can answer that. It's left over from the ambient light in the dash mod. They are the lamps inside your doors, which also fit in your footwells!

Thank You! This is correct.I'll edit my post in a minute.

Edit: Done. Thanks

2010 2SS/RS, Six speed, Rally Yellow w/ Black Painted Stripes, Boston Acoustic Stereo, Polished 20" wheels, Solo Mach X Catback Exhaust, Solo HF Cats, Halltech CAI, Full Dash & Door ABL, ABL Lit Homelink Buttons, HUD Installed, Ride Tunes, Full Electric Passenger Seat, Fbodfather signed, VIN # 4492, PAID OFF!!!
2010 Yellow 2SS/RS with black painted Stripes...$37,000.00; Ride Tones sound system and remote...$ 40.00; Seeing the kids faces (Young and Old) light up and almost wet their pants....Priceless!!!
Old 01-27-2010, 11:21 AM   #19
FwyFlyer

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Nice job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk500 View Post

Okay as promised, I have completed my modification of the HomeLink buttons.
So I'm not the only one to fumble around to find those buttons. I'm SO doing this mod. Does anybody know where to get that cloth harness wrap? My GM parts guy said Napa would have it but no luck there.
FwyFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:53 PM   #20
Superfly1

Quote:
Jaylink,
do you think you could run the lights off of the same light that the sunroof button uses?
Or power the LED off of that?
I think I might try this when I do mine. I checked today and did notice that the light in the sunroof button does dim with the door ABL...

CAI intake | OBX LT Headers | Flowmaster AT Exhaust | Trifecta Tune | SS Rear Diff, Axles & Driveshaft
Zex 100 Shot Nitrous | Konig Airstrike Wheels | Custom Engine Cover, Fuse Box & Underhood Bowtie
Old 01-27-2010, 09:04 PM   #21
1 RD JEWL

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS_RS- RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly1 View Post
I think I might try this when I do mine. I checked today and did notice that the light in the sunroof button does dim with the door ABL...
I plan to try this as well. may be a month before I get to it though.

Delivered 25 Aug 2009:
2SS/RS LS3
1 RD JEWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:08 AM   #22
skuttduck

Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly1 View Post
Yeah it would be a closer tap and not have to tear apart your car as much as this.

I haven't pulled the overhead console off of my car yet to experiment, but if you see my thread about the ambient light in "1" series of the cars, the positive wire that powers the light in the traction control switch is yellow.

The sunroof button will dim with the dash lighting but it will not go out all the way like the ambient lighting does. Just something to consider. I would use the sunroof button for power if I was to do this mod, as the type of dimming would match the rest of the button and controls of the car.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:17 AM   #23
Jayhawk500

That should work, using the sunroof button.
This would be a good add on to my thread.
I don't have a sunroof. Sorry.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:25 AM   #24
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Wow! Great job! Might try this using the sunroof button power...I have an extra red/orange ABL light
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:48 PM   #25
1 RD JEWL

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS_RS- RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk500 View Post
That should work, using the sunroof button.
This would be a good add on to my thread.
I don't have a sunroof. Sorry.
Absolutely would be a good add on...

Whoever does it first with the sunroof should post how and pictures. If i do, I will.

Delivered 25 Aug 2009:
2SS/RS LS3
1 RD JEWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:25 PM   #26
Superfly1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 RD JEWL View Post
Absolutely would be a good add on...

Whoever does it first with the sunroof should post how and pictures. If i do, I will.
Ditto...

Got my fiber optic threads in the mail today.. might be a go for a weekend project

Before I go out and buy the LED for the ABL, I have some stock blue LED lights & resistors that I used in other projects I might try as well...

If I get to it I will definitely take pictures...

Old 01-31-2010, 04:50 PM   #27
Superfly1

OK here it is... I got time this weekend and completed my adaptation to Jayhawk500's write up of the lights in the Homelink buttons using the sunroof button lights as a source. I also used a stock LED instead of the ABL LED. The blue is a little different shade, but I had them laying around so I used them.

Pretty much I used Jayhakw500's process with the exceptions below.

My LED setup (testing the setup)
Name:  LED-Test.jpg
Views: 1833
Size:  216.1 KB

Sunroof Button Connector - The yellow wire is the one that controls the light and allows the LED to dim with the rest of the lights.
Name:  Sunroof-button-connector.jpg
Views: 1576
Size:  144.3 KB

My setup for the fiber optic threads and LED.
Name:  Homelink-light-setup.jpg
Views: 1590
Size:  263.1 KB

Connecting the LED
Name:  Homlink-Button-Light-Connec.jpg
Views: 1502
Size:  317.1 KB

All done.. about 1 1/2 - 2 hours worth of work. It will be well worth it the next time I am coming home in the dark...
Name:  Homlink-buttons-complete.jpg
Views: 1461
Size:  148.8 KB

Old 01-31-2010, 06:29 PM   #28
skuttduck

Awesome I figured you could do it with that. I wonder if yellow is the standard color used for the instrument panel lighting throughout the car?

Now the question remains, can you actually take apart the sunroof button get to the LED and attach the fiber optic cable in there? Seems like diverting the 3 small bits of light would not effect the sunroof light button at all.