Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-06-2009, 05:33 PM   #1
dodson914

Drives: 2008 2500 HD; 2008 G8 GT #199
New Guy Needs a Little Car Advice

So I've been reading here for the past week or so and I am hoping you guys can help me a little with a VERY odd situation.

I have a G8 GT that my wife drives. I jokingly told her a while back that one day I was going to take her car to work and come home with the new Camaro. She's not a huge fan of 2 door cars and absolutely LOVES the G8. Anyways, 2 Saturdays ago she got into a wreck. She is okay. She has some back pain and neck pain. Other than that my wife is well. The G8 unfortunately held up far too well. I've got about $13,000 in damages. We are a long ways off from it being totaled. Last week I placed an order for the new camaro with a local dealer. I went in on Monday and it was placed in their computers on Friday. I plan on trading in the G8 on the camaro.

So here's the dilemma. Because the car is made in Oz the parts are not readily available. I've already been to two body shops. The body shop it's at now is Classic's (local dealership). The first one was a VERY good shop but they can't get the parts and were told they may never see some of the parts like headliner and some seat components. The dealer's shop just called and said there are a few parts on backorder and he had no idea when they'd come in until I told them to go ahead with the repairs.

So do I take the money for the repairs and have a private buyer come in and buy as is. Or do I have the shop fix and have no idea when I'll get the car back for trade-in.

Extra info...

We only have a rental for 30 days and over a week of that is already used.

Car is paid for so that's not an issue.

Thanks in advance...
dodson914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:40 PM   #2
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
First see if the accident will affect your trade in value, and then compare it to what you think you could privately sell it for?

I have never been in this situation so I don't have great advice, sorry.
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:59 PM   #3
Chevyrocker
Weekend Rockstar

Drives: Depends on the day...
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsnoflake View Post
First see if the accident will affect your trade in value
LOL...I hope that was a joke. most dealers won't even put a number on a vehicle that has that much damage on it because they can't retail it these days with carfax and such. The only way to get out of that car is to have a wholesaler come look at it and make an offer. If it were me, I'd take what I can get for it and move on. Cars are never the same after they've been wrecked.

Oh yea, welcome to the site! Good people here.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
Not a joke, as I said, never been in the situation.

Good info though. I guess you might have to sell it privately
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 06:17 PM   #5
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Gotta go with Chevyrocker on this one. With that much damage and the dealer knowing about the parts needed, your ability to trade it in has gone out the window. Your only options now is either to take the repair money and sell as is for what you can get (most likely not much) or get it fixed and sell it privately.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
g8 gt