Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 02-27-2014, 07:44 AM   #1
CyberGreyConvertible
Dunder Mifflin Inc.

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Not a great start to the morning (windshield crack)

So, the day started out with a bit of an odd feeling. I just felt like something weird was bound to happen. It's 11° here this morning, so I had to use both front and rear defrosters to melt the windshield ice, nothing out of the ordinary. But about 10 minutes into my drive to work, I hear a huge *CRACK*. I immediately thought a rock hit my car, but then I notice a crack spanning the entire length of the windshield. I've had a tiny tiny crack in the corner of windshield for months, it was barely noticeable. But the extreme cold and my defroster caused it to spider, and it spans the entire length of the windshield.

All in all, it feels pretty bad to know that I couldn't prevent this, the crack expanding was inevitable. It's just frustrating to see such a beautiful car with such an ugly "scar". I plan on waiting until spring time to get it fixed, as this could easily happen again.

So, anybody else have a similar experience?
CyberGreyConvertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:53 AM   #2
USCAMARO14

Drives: 2LS 2014
WOW! That really sucks
Old 02-27-2014, 08:45 AM   #3
jmelchio
SSmokinJoe

Drives: 2010 SIM 1SS/RS M6
I feel your pain. When I bought mine, I was on the way to get it to get it inspected, and a rock hit my windshield and cracked it right in the middle of the driver side. Car was less than 2 days old.
SLP Loudmouth II Axleback
Hurst Shifter
R1Concepts Slotted Rotors
Hawk Ceramic Brakepads

I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol.
jmelchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:48 AM   #4
DesertCamaro

Drives: Fast
Happened to me on Monday, car is barely 2 months old. Glass insurance will cover it but it's still a PITA. I usually go through 1 windshield a year here in AZ.

Granted mine was a rock, it's been in the 80's here all week so no defrost for us.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:12 AM   #5
Valkyrja
Shieldmaiden

Drives: 2014 Summit White 2LT/RS
A friend had one of his windows shatter while he was waiting in traffic this week. Made him jump a little. Our temps have been all over the place.
Valkyrja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:18 AM   #6
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
i have a nick or two in mine...none have spread though. even though it looks like one could at any moment but ive had it for months.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:29 AM   #7
CyberGreyConvertible
Dunder Mifflin Inc.

It's driving me nuts... I love my Camaro so much, I hate seeing it with the damage. It would be smarter to wait until it's warmer to get it fixed, which means it'll be there for another month or so. Hopefully, it won't cost too much.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:31 AM   #8
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Those tiny cracks need to be fix right away - especially when your windshield goes through temperature extremes using the defroster. Safelite will repair cracks smaller than a dollar bill in 30 minutes for around $50. I believe they will even come to your vehicle to do it, in most locals. A crack won't fix itself. It may not get worse, but most likely it will eventually lead to a full windshield replacement (as the OP's did). Then you're looking at several hundred dollars.

http://www.safelite.com/auto-glass-repair-replacement/
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:34 AM   #9
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberGreyConvertible View Post
It's driving me nuts... I love my Camaro so much, I hate seeing it with the damage. It would be smarter to wait until it's warmer to get it fixed, which means it'll be there for another month or so. Hopefully, it won't cost too much.
Hopefully, it won't blow out altogether. It will likely cost several hundred dollars for a new windshield. Waiting until it's warmer could lead to a major safety issue. Do it now!
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:39 AM   #10
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
If you have a HUD then the windshield is much more expensive. Extra incentive to get small chips and cracks repaired before they spread.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:40 AM   #11
RollaMo

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberGreyConvertible View Post
It's 11° here this morning, so I had to use both front and rear defrosters to melt the windshield ice, nothing out of the ordinary. But about 10 minutes into my drive to work, I hear a huge *CRACK*.

I've had a tiny tiny crack in the corner of windshield for months, it was barely noticeable. But the extreme cold and my defroster caused it to spider, and it spans the entire length of the windshield.

So, anybody else have a similar experience?
Yes, that has happened many times and is not just a Camaro issue.

Extremely cold glass, with hot air blowing on it from the inside and add in an existing small crack.
Results can sometimes be a crack the length of the windshield!

Had that happen more than once to vehicles in the past.
2015 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
RollaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:11 AM   #12
CyberGreyConvertible
Dunder Mifflin Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
If you have a HUD then the windshield is much more expensive. Extra incentive to get small chips and cracks repaired before they spread.
Why is it so much more expensive?
Old 02-27-2014, 11:14 AM   #13
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Fix it now. Don't wait and run the risk of things getting worse.

Cracks like that do happen once in a blue moon, but not very darn often.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:04 PM   #14
CyberGreyConvertible
Dunder Mifflin Inc.

Good news. Called the insurance company, they'll cover everything greater than $250. Calling SafeLite now, hopefully getting this resolved as quickly as possible. I hate seeing my baby like this!