Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 10-15-2013, 08:42 PM   #29
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
the ceramic brakes would be nice but I think the tires on the ZL1 would basically trim 3-4 seconds off of the ZL1 time. now if you believe the Z/28 left something out there based on the rain (Al says they believe they can get another 6 seconds off) that would put the Z/28 in at around 7:31. I think those same tires on the Zl1 would bring the ZL1 in around 7:36 or so. Bottomline, the Z/28 accomplished its mission of being the ultimate track Camaro but I think what it also did was confirm what an amazing job they did engineering the ZL1 in that it carries 300 more pounds, A/C, and MYLINK and if you put the Z/28 wheel/tire combo on it probably only gives away 5 seconds with same driver, same conditions. With all that said, I would love to own a Z/28 but could not justify selling my ZL1 to get one.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:49 PM   #30
NightmareZL1
Can't stop ***ifying

Drives: Ashen 2013 Gray ZL1
It's the tires.
If you look at the twisty sections, the Z28 rips through about 10 mph faster with no tire squeal. watch the same section with the ZL1 and you will hear some super stressed out tires.

The Zl1 pulls 10 to 12 mph faster in long straight, but loses alot of time in quick tight turns.

Someone that tracks the ZL1 on here has said that the michelin pilot super sports give him 3 seconds faster times than the goodyear stock tires. And all of us that have pushed the zl1 know that out tires fail us way before the brakes and chasis do.

Put the same times on the Zl1, and watch it crush that Z28 lap time.
Poor z28 fan boys, so sad

I got banned form the Z28 forum for telling those "HIGHLY INTELLIGENT LOGICAL AND SOUND MINDED PEOPLE" that the z28 wouldnt do better than a 7:37. I love being right. They had dreams of 7:22's and beating the Z06, and no amount of logic or intelligent thinking could convince them otherwise. Finally, here is the track time for the dreamers to eat with their mouths full of foot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
I would like to see the ZL1 do the Ring lapping with the same ceramic carbon brakes as the Z/28.
Rotofab, grinding rear diff sound forever, dealer replaced supercharger - now i have a rattle when starting from a stop, ordered 2.35 lingenfelter pulley, hp tuner, belt, 100mm idler pulley, tr7IX spark plugs, wideband kit, long tubes with no cats...hoping for 650hp. dyno with rotofab = 518hp

Last edited by NightmareZL1; 10-15-2013 at 11:31 PM.
NightmareZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #31
NightmareZL1
Can't stop ***ifying

Drives: Ashen 2013 Gray ZL1
And to all the Anti ZL1 peeps, watch the z28 vid with sound, then watch the zl1 vid with sound, then the z28 again and take note of how many times you hear the tires squeal and note how many times the driver has to counter steer out of a corner. In the z28 vid - maybe 3 times. In the ZL1 vid, constantly. The mighty ZL1 was begging for stickier shoes. The Z28 got them.
Rotofab, grinding rear diff sound forever, dealer replaced supercharger - now i have a rattle when starting from a stop, ordered 2.35 lingenfelter pulley, hp tuner, belt, 100mm idler pulley, tr7IX spark plugs, wideband kit, long tubes with no cats...hoping for 650hp. dyno with rotofab = 518hp
NightmareZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #32
Taser Deployed

Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1
The Z/28 is definitely a beast of a car but it's not worth the money (which is going to be north of 60K) to me when compared to my ZL1. I know me and I would enjoy it for about a month and then I would be b*tching about not having a radio and comparing the rough ride to the smooth ride in my Z. Having AC would be no question living in South Louisiana. The ZL1 crowd and Z/28 crowd are going to be as different as night and day IMO.
Taser Deployed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:52 AM   #33
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareZL1 View Post
It's the tires.

Its a little more complicated than that. If you watch my track videos I'm running the toyo R888 race/autocross tires and they are howling like mad in every corner because of the weight of the car when I'm driving them at the limit. I think the Z28 ended up using a Pirelli and it is a better tire than the Goodyear but the weight of the car magnifies tire grip trouble. If you could pull 300 lbs out of the ZL1 the cornering would be much better on whatever tire.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #34
Taser Deployed

Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
Its a little more complicated than that. If you watch my track videos I'm running the toyo R888 race/autocross tires and they are howling like mad in every corner because of the weight of the car when I'm driving them at the limit. I think the Z28 ended up using a Pirelli and it is a better tire than the Goodyear but the weight of the car magnifies tire grip trouble. If you could pull 300 lbs out of the ZL1 the cornering would be much better on whatever tire.
That makes sense. I'm surprised that more people aren't talking about the lower weight combined with the tires.
Taser Deployed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:00 AM   #35
BlackinBlack

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 Blade Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taser Deployed View Post
That makes sense. I'm surprised that more people aren't talking about the lower weight combined with the tires.
For sure. Wonder how much weight the brakes, rims tire combo and the rear window that they keep talking about would save on a ZL1. Heck the trunk in a Z28 is stripped and is bare metal without carpet. I would venture that a stripped ZL1 with the more aggressive tires would be closer but the ZL1 was not intended to be track only car. It is a full luxury street car that can be tracked. The Z28 is a full track car that can be driven on the street. That is a big difference.

2013 ZL1 BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
Roto-Fab CAI

2010 2SS/RS BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
3" MBRP 304 Stainless Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI
BlackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:09 AM   #36
Betiwin

Drives: CTS-V Coupe and GT500
Wow amazing time for the Z28. And in he rain at that! I can't believe a camaro is practically a 7:30 flat car. The sound of the LS7 makes the LSA pale in comparison. Congrats team camaro. Looking forward to VIR times.
Betiwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #37
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraBall View Post

The ZL1 is the better daily driver. The Z28 seems like a pure track toy to me.

EXACTLY -- the new Z/28 has one purpose in life: "...to hunt down Mustangs and other performance cars on the track........"

The ZL1 is a much better daily driver.....the Z/28 is a track car........
Old 10-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #38
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareZL1 View Post
It's the tires.
If you look at the twisty sections, the Z28 rips through about 10 mph faster with no tire squeal. watch the same section with the ZL1 and you will hear some super stressed out tires.

The Zl1 pulls 10 to 12 mph faster in long straight, but loses alot of time in quick tight turns.

Someone that tracks the ZL1 on here has said that the michelin pilot super sports give him 3 seconds faster times than the goodyear stock tires. And all of us that have pushed the zl1 know that out tires fail us way before the brakes and chasis do.

Put the same times on the Zl1, and watch it crush that Z28 lap time.
Poor z28 fan boys, so sad

I got banned form the Z28 forum for telling those "HIGHLY INTELLIGENT LOGICAL AND SOUND MINDED PEOPLE" that the z28 wouldnt do better than a 7:37. I love being right. They had dreams of 7:22's and beating the Z06, and no amount of logic or intelligent thinking could convince them otherwise. Finally, here is the track time for the dreamers to eat with their mouths full of foot.

Watch the ZL1 and Z/28 overlay video. The ONLY part of the track where the ZL1 out runs the Z/28 is on the long straight, where everyone and their mother knew it would. In the beginning, the Z/28 instantly started putting ground on the ZL1 and gained a huge margin. Al says they can get it down to 7:31.XX and I believe him. I doubt adding tires and brakes would shave 10 seconds off the ZL1 time.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:22 PM   #39
toyosuprablue
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black M6
Quote:
I would like to see the ZL1 do the Ring lapping with the same ceramic carbon brakes as the Z/28.
This is exactly what I want to see
toyosuprablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:30 PM   #40
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Fbodfather told me months ago that the Z/28 would shine on autocross. So I think with the gearing and what not they didn't expect it to absolutely blow away the ZL1 on Nurburgring, but it probably will on autocross or especially shorter tracks with more turns.

That being stated, nothing is cooler than a 427 Camaro. So if I could, I would add a Z/28 to my garage. But not replace my ZL1 with one.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:59 PM   #41
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
this is my thought exaclty ha ha.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:03 PM   #42
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleBlkZL1 View Post
I'm not hating at all but I was expecting a lower time.. I'm very proud of the Chevy team and what they accomplished.. ...I was expecting very low 7:30's.. they need to do a re run in better weather.
...and I agree with you. It's an awesome ride.....no doubt, and quite an accomplishment. The video was riveting, albeit rain and all!. Having said that... officially being 4 seconds quicker than the ZL1 <with the rain caveat>, it would have done a bit better < 3 -4 seconds> as previously mentioned due to the slick track. However, IMHO this modest performance increase does not warrant a huge price increase over the ZL1. Just sayin....