Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-27-2013, 07:01 AM   #1
ABMLS3

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Camaro 2SS/RS
What is bucking?

I've been searching up a lot about cams and I've seen people talking about bucking, what exactly is that? I think I have a clue but I'm not really sure. Can someone explain

Power Source Performance Turbo Kit

416 C.I ,TH400
Instagram: TomTraube
COTW ABMLS3 Build Thread
ABMLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:14 AM   #2
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Turn up you volume. you'll get the picture.

motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:14 AM   #3
Muddflap

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
If you have an M6 the best example I can give you is to just ease out on you clutch and not give any throttle. Just let the car roll if you are on flat ground or a slight incline you will feel the car surging/buckling. With a bigger cam you will feel this at higher RPM's as well. Sometimes up to 1600-1800 rpm's. so to prevent this at low speeds you have to work your clutch alot so it doesn't buck and people looking will just think you don't know how to drive a standard. To some this is very annoying. To others they know how to slip and ride the clutch to prevent this and its not an issue.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:37 AM   #4
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
Not smooth...as in riding a horse vs. riding a bucking bronco
Old 09-27-2013, 08:05 AM   #5
ABMLS3

So it's basically the car surging while your driving which makes it like bounce?

416 C.I ,TH400
COTW ABMLS3 Build Thread
Old 09-27-2013, 08:11 AM   #6
Muddflap

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Yes
Old 09-27-2013, 08:28 AM   #7
ABMLS3

Okay thanks

416 C.I ,TH400
COTW ABMLS3 Build Thread
Old 09-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #8
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1660 View Post
Not smooth...as in riding a horse vs. riding a bucking bronco
Of course, when you put the cam to work by getting on the pedal, it'll smooth out.

Man - that Caddy was ready to rock!
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #9
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
bucking is caused by the car warming up and trying to get the air fuel mixture right....its different from lope which is caused by cams...This videos shows cars which are cold and trying to operate and they do not have the carburation used on many cars...in the old days you had a spring which would be a thermostatic operation part enclosed on the top of the intake that operates a rod going to the butterfly on the carburetor holding it in a position until the car warmed up and the spring expanded as metal does with heat allowing the carb to flow more air to the gas.....yes this effectively chokes it.....( these still come on many carburetors ) And there were and are manual chokes but you cannot just change a jet in a carb or just want to jump out and turn a screw on the carb every time to turn the car on because you are running a high performance engine cold that is surging. Large cammed cars engines have a definitive lope and do surge from being cold........ But it is not just due to the cam's radical design or who would want one...... its from being cold...... Our cars have a computer to effective limit the amount of surge...or bucking if you want to call it that by controlling the air fuel mixture to be more in line with a cold engine. A warmer engine atomizes the gasoline better, as with carbureted cars the jets that control the fuel flow are a set size and cannot adjust like a pressurized fuel system such as individual fuel injectors controlled by computer......... SO cold air and a cold engine make it hard for the car to atomize the gas and less able to use the gas it has supplied to itself through the jets of the carburetor until the engine warms up..... On my old hot rods I would always have to adjust the carburetors for hot and cold weather (also to make the idle right in rpm's), turn screws to alter the flow through the jets .......( or turn up flow for colder denser air by turning the screw out ,or hotter less dense air requires turning the jet mixture screw in to make less gas flow) thus maintaining a good idle.
Just a little something from a old hot rodder................ I would have to adjust my engines carburetors twice per year for summer or winter driving if lucky. Usually 1/2 a turn for a carter afb type or holley per screw per primary ( the screw is really a pointed bolt limiting the fuel flow through a channel in the carburetor which is the jet) and fuel jets take time to change in a carburetor thus the need for the engine to warm up or the person driving to get out and make a slight adjustment to the carb to make the car not surge like in the video then they would want to return the carb to its original position after the car is warmed up. That is the sound of the surging you hear in the video not someone bucking as the bucking is caused by the surging if they do not have the car warmed up and it causes rushes of power as the engine cycles through the having the wrong to the right amounts of fuel as it tries to purge the extra gas in the combustion cycle when it has extra gas being cold then it is hard to control the clutch when the car surges with power off and on and off and on........... Like someone who does not know how to use a clutch. Like a bucking bronco. Many old rodders would do a neat trick with putting a spark plug in the exhust pipe connected to coil in the trunk that's fed power by a switch in the cab to ignite extra unspent gas making flames shoot out the exhaust, some would even do it with the engine warm by a really small interruption of the engines plugs firing to make even more unburnt gasoline come out the exhaust, ( small is like a few revolutions at 600-700 rpm). Well enough rambling, happy motoring
Old 09-28-2013, 12:17 AM   #10
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS LS3 VR
Send a message via AIM to AdamEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
bucking is caused by the car warming up and trying to get the air fuel mixture right....its different from lope which is caused by cams...This videos shows cars which are cold and trying to operate and they do not have the carburation used on many cars...in the old days you had a spring which would be a thermostatic operation part enclosed on the top of the intake that operates a rod going to the butterfly on the carburetor holding it in a position until the car warmed up and the spring expanded as metal does with heat allowing the carb to flow more air to the gas.....yes this effectively chokes it.....( these still come on many carburetors ) And there were and are manual chokes but you cannot just change a jet in a carb or just want to jump out and turn a screw on the carb every time to turn the car on because you are running a high performance engine cold that is surging. Large cammed cars engines have a definitive lope and do surge from being cold........ But it is not just due to the cam's radical design or who would want one...... its from being cold...... Our cars have a computer to effective limit the amount of surge...or bucking if you want to call it that by controlling the air fuel mixture to be more in line with a cold engine. A warmer engine atomizes the gasoline better, as with carbureted cars the jets that control the fuel flow are a set size and cannot adjust like a pressurized fuel system such as individual fuel injectors controlled by computer......... SO cold air and a cold engine make it hard for the car to atomize the gas and less able to use the gas it has supplied to itself through the jets of the carburetor until the engine warms up..... On my old hot rods I would always have to adjust the carburetors for hot and cold weather (also to make the idle right in rpm's), turn screws to alter the flow through the jets .......( or turn up flow for colder denser air by turning the screw out ,or hotter less dense air requires turning the jet mixture screw in to make less gas flow) thus maintaining a good idle.
Just a little something from a old hot rodder................ I would have to adjust my engines carburetors twice per year for summer or winter driving if lucky. Usually 1/2 a turn for a carter afb type or holley per screw per primary ( the screw is really a pointed bolt limiting the fuel flow through a channel in the carburetor which is the jet) and fuel jets take time to change in a carburetor thus the need for the engine to warm up or the person driving to get out and make a slight adjustment to the carb to make the car not surge like in the video then they would want to return the carb to its original position after the car is warmed up. That is the sound of the surging you hear in the video not someone bucking as the bucking is caused by the surging if they do not have the car warmed up and it causes rushes of power as the engine cycles through the having the wrong to the right amounts of fuel as it tries to purge the extra gas in the combustion cycle when it has extra gas being cold then it is hard to control the clutch when the car surges with power off and on and off and on........... Like someone who does not know how to use a clutch. Like a bucking bronco. Many old rodders would do a neat trick with putting a spark plug in the exhust pipe connected to coil in the trunk that's fed power by a switch in the cab to ignite extra unspent gas making flames shoot out the exhaust, some would even do it with the engine warm by a really small interruption of the engines plugs firing to make even more unburnt gasoline come out the exhaust, ( small is like a few revolutions at 600-700 rpm). Well enough rambling, happy motoring
That's great knowledge!

I was just doing some research on here earlier tonight on this same subject. I've noticed when I first take my SS on the road each morning, it will buck in 1st and sometimes 2nd gear. But only on the very first time I shift. But after that first initial shift through to 4th, it never does it again. So I've had to take off pretty slow in the mornings to let it get woken up. I saw on here where tons of people said they had the same issue. And several guys answered back saying that it was just the engine warming up. Makes sense to me. That's a big ass engine. She needs a little time to wake up in the morning... Just like me!
AdamEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:34 AM   #11
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post

My '70 Buick has a high lift cam in the 462 and its carbureted but with my electric choke, she never bucks

My '12 1SS does this sometimes though, cold, warm, doesn't matter. My '07 Solstice GXP did it before the upgrade, too