Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 11-23-2010, 09:56 AM   #1
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Are stainless brake lines really needed?

I'm about to have my brake calipers powdercoated and I'm wondering if I should replace my brake lines while I'm at it. The cost isn't really in my budget so I would have to take money out of my true savings (vs my mod fund) for a month or two.

This is my daily driver and I've never road raced before. However, I do plan on giving that a try sometime next year. Not sure if I would be able to afford to continue to road race so I'll say that I'll probably only do it a handfull of times if at all.

I do drag race a few times a year but that shouldn't affect the brake lines.

So.....should I spend the money to upgrade to stainless steel brake lines? Will I really feel a difference in the brakes in a daily driver?
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:27 AM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Stainless braided brake lines do make a noticeable difference in brake feel and performance. That being said, it doesn't sound like you really need them. At least not at this point. If you do end up hitting the track more often I would consider it then.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:56 PM   #3
2quick

Drives: none
I agree with apex. You just dont need them at this time.
2quick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:16 PM   #4
caverman

Thanks.....sounds like I should just put it off for now.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 11-23-2010, 03:41 PM   #5
stratman2SSRS

Drives: Lingenfelter Camaro
I had my car on a road racing track a few times last year with the stock brakes, and they worked fine. This year I changed to braided lines with slotted rotors and hawk pads, and they felt great. No more spongy feeling near the end of a run.
Daily driver, they are not really necessary. And they aren't really that expensive.
stratman2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 04:58 PM   #6
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
In a few years your stock rubber lines will be more pliable and will expand more when you brake. That's when you really NEED SS lines. As Chase said, it would probably help a little but not something that's necessary at this point.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:15 PM   #7
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
Wait... is the Camaro a NEEDS car or a WANTS car?

I had the Pedders stainless lines put on when I had my calipers powder coated. I don't even remember the cost now, but I figured it was more cost effective to have the lines done at the same time as the calipers. I'm glad I did it...the feel in the brake pedal is noticeably better than stock.

Did I NEED those stainless lines? Probably not, but I did WANT them. I would have actually preferred just plain stainless color, but the red lines do go with the rest of the Pedders red coils, sways and bushings.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:32 PM   #8
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by My 5th View Post
Wait... is the Camaro a NEEDS car or a WANTS car?

I had the Pedders stainless lines put on when I had my calipers powder coated. I don't even remember the cost now, but I figured it was more cost effective to have the lines done at the same time as the calipers. I'm glad I did it...the feel in the brake pedal is noticeably better than stock.

Did I NEED those stainless lines? Probably not, but I did WANT them. I would have actually preferred just plain stainless color, but the red lines do go with the rest of the Pedders red coils, sways and bushings.
When it would blow your budget, like in this case, it becomes a need issue. No car or mod is worth compromising your financially security.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:00 PM   #9
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
When it would blow your budget, like in this case, it becomes a need issue. No car or mod is worth compromising your financially security.
LOL.....Thanks, you're right in the fact that it's beyond my mod money fund but it's not that I couldn't afford it if I wanted. My mod fund has definately been tapped after I bought my headers and exhaust though. I've been scrapping to replenish it.

I don't want people to think it would put me in a financial strain. I know you didn't mean it to sound that way but it kinda does. I could buy these without issue if I wanted. I would just have to borrow the money from the household savings knowing that I would have to re-pay it when I got more mod money.

I've had to seperate my play money from the wife's play money from the household money. She doesn't agree with hardly any of my mods. She thinks the car is great the way it is. I don't agree with her buying another pair of shoes when no more can be put in the closet. So...I have my play money....she has hers. I can buy a $100 set of brake lines if I want and she can buy a $100 pair of jeans if she wants. As long as it comes out of our own funds and not the household fund.

My problem is that every time I buy a new mod something else comes up. A couple months ago I tapped out my account. This month I've scrapped enough together to get my calipers powder coated. Next month I hope to have enough Christmas money to buy a ported Throttle Body. Then a underdrive pulley. Then....well....you get the point.

I just thought that since my calipers were off and I was going to have to bleed the brakes anyway that it might be a good idea to do the brake lines now if it made sense. Not that I can't do them later and re-bleed the brakes.

I appreciate all the comments and it sounds as though they really aren't necessary for my situation. I really appreciate the honest responeses because it could be easy for a vendor to drop in and try to talk me out of my money.

From the sounds of it, I think I would rather spend any extra money I get on the ported TB instead. I have a feeling I will feel that more than the brake lines.
Build Journal
Old 11-23-2010, 10:07 PM   #10
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
Power is useless without control-Pirelli.
vinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:13 PM   #11
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinman View Post
Power is useless without control-Pirelli.
Not sure I understand this post but most of the time my power is put down in a straight line for 1320 ft or less. Brakes don't usually heat up that much in that distance.
Build Journal
Old 11-23-2010, 10:53 PM   #12
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Not sure I understand this post but most of the time my power is put down in a straight line for 1320 ft or less. Brakes don't usually heat up that much in that distance.
Makes more sense if you have to turn left really fast at the end of the 1320
Old 11-24-2010, 12:39 AM   #13
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
I totally understand the money aspect of any mod. I'm a CPA, and I have to resort to creative accounting to do some of the things I've done to my Camaro. I'm not hooked on crack, but I am hooked on Camaro--not sure which one is more expensive.

Now, can someone tell me how I can save enough $$ to get the Forgeline MD3S's?
Old 11-24-2010, 09:07 AM   #14
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by My 5th View Post
I'm not hooked on crack, but I am hooked on Camaro--not sure which one is more expensive.
That is signature worthy!